Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

THE RESULTS - Your Top Five.......Bands/Groups

Thanks for everyone's votes. So many bands ( over 250 ) , most of which i had never heard of !

The winner won by one vote!

Another "Your Top Five" on Friday.

THE CHARLTON LIFE TOP TEN BANDS OF ALL TIME

1.The Beatles

2.Oasis

3.The Jam

4.Rolling Stones

5.Stone Roses

6.The Clash

7.The Who

8 Kasabian

9. Depeche Mode

10. Pink Floyd

Just missing out were . Led Zeppelin , The Smiths & The Arctic Monkeys.

Below is XFM's top ten bands of all time as voted by their listeners. Quite a bit different to the Charlton Life list. Dire Straits didn't get one vote on our poll.

PINK FLOYD

LED ZEPPELIN

ROLLING STONES

U2

QUEEN

DIRE STRAITS

BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN AND THE E STREET BAND

THE BEATLES

BOB MARLEY AND THE WAILERS

FLEETWOOD MAC

Comments

• I'm.........gonna say nothing about that top 10. Except that I'm glad my own taste is not determined by consensus :D
  • Jesus Henry Christ - there is some pony in those lists.
  • Oasis number two, bloody hell.
  • Oasis number two, bloody hell.

It was number one for most of the count until a couple of extra votes for The Beatles near the end stopped it.
  • Never understood the love for Oasis from football fans.
  • PROPER LADS, PROPER TUNES
  • edited May 2014

Never understood the love for Oasis from football music fans.

Fixed it for you.

And before anyone gets on their high horse, I'm actually quite fond of Oasis.
  • Never understood the love for Oasis from football fans.

Yeah, I never understood why people who like fried eggs enjoy listening to Brahms...
  • Never understood the love for Oasis from football music fans.

Fixed it for you.

And before anyone gets on their high horse, I'm actually quite fond of Oasis.
    Same here. It's easy to bash them but early Oasis is british music at it's very best in my opinion. As often happens the brothers lost focus and thought Oasis was all about themselves and not the music.
  • Sponsored links:

• All the CL List are British.
  • Jesus Henry Christ - there is some pony in those lists.

I'd be happy with the CL list as the line-up for a concert, not so sure about the XFM one, though.
  • Well I have seen 2 (Oasis/S Roses) & 1/2 (Joe Strummer solo playing Clash songs) - out of that CL list. Any advances in that.....
  • Oakster said:

Well I have seen 2 (Oasis/S Roses) & 1/2 (Joe Strummer solo playing Clash songs) - out of that CL list. Any advances in that.....

Oasis, Stones, Stone Roses, Who, Clash. Still kicking myself for not seeing The Jam for free in the summer of '76.
  • There is a more typical "rock/British" vibe amongst the Football crowd. Oasis are there on merit. They are the biggest band the country has produced since Queen.
  • I knew I didn't really fit in here.
  • cafctom said:

There is a more typical "rock/British" vibe amongst the Football crowd.

I was trying to express that idea but couldn't work out how to say it. Now I don't have to.
  • cafctom said:

There is a more typical "rock/British" vibe amongst the Football crowd. Oasis are there on merit. They are the biggest band the country has produced since Queen.

This.

For example, Kasabian 8th? Really? In a greatest band ever poll?
  • cafctom said:

There is a more typical "rock/British" vibe amongst the Football crowd. Oasis are there on merit. They are the biggest band the country has produced since Queen.

This.

Favourite, not greatest.
  • Sponsored links:

• cafctom said:

This.

Favourite, not greatest.
    True I guess, does still show my point that there's a large football/British rock connection.
  • cafctom said:

This.

Kasabian are a good band but 8th? I wonder how many people will remember any of there songs in 20 years time.....
  • Kasabian was the big surprise for me too. I was sure Queen or Madness would be in the top ten but they hardly got any votes.
  • Stone Roses - second only to Coldplay as the most overrated band of all time (IMHO)
  • Kasabian were in my top five because they are my favourite 21st century band as such.

I believe Queen and Madness etc. are better bands but are not in my favourites..
  • ahh crap. I would of voted for Bruce Springsteen had i know he was being classed as a band.
  • ahh crap. I would of voted for Bruce Springsteen had i know he was being classed as a band.

Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street band got 6 votes. About 15th on our list.

• edited May 2014
    I never knew about this poll!

The Beatles beating Oasis by one vote, hilarious! Congratulations on producing a list better than XFM's though, bloody hell who voted for that?
  • No one agrees on such things, but cant argue with the volume of oasis votes. Their song "whatever" is brilliant.
  • Now we should start a thread of bands/artists that, try as you might, you just don't get. Mine? Queen. Yes, I understand that Mercury was a great showman, there's some excellent musicianship on display as well. But I just don't like them. To me Mercury sounds like he's shouting a lot of the time, and there's something about their backing vocal arrangements that just annoy me somehow.

Understand, I'm not knocking people who think they're the best band this country has produced. Not at all. I just, you know, don't get them.