Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Moving to Sheffield - Any Advice...

Definitely setting myself up here...

Just got a new job up in Sheffield. I have been looking for paid work in zoology for about 6 years and if looks like working 7 days a week and volunteering for over 5 years has finally paid off :)

However I have little/no idea of what areas to live in up there, hoping to get some advice off of the new employers but I am sure the helpful souls of CL can offer up some 'useful' advice ;)

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Anywhere but in the blue and white half
  • Depends where in sheff your job is. Ecce rd way is studenty but nice esp the further you live up it!! Dronfield and out towards the peaks is nice. Basically the opposite side of Sheffield as Hillsborough!!! Depends what your budget and what you're looking for thou
  • Commute from the south of Sheffield.
    It might take about 3 hours each way.
  • Ask for a secondment to the London office
  • Commute from the south of Sheffield.
    It might take about 3 hours each way.

No. Commute from down here every day. Long drive but well worth it...

• I did live in Sheffield for 3 years but it was a long time ago and I was a student but from what I remember, Nether Edge, Eccelshall Road, Dore were all nice. Broom hill student central, Crookes quite nice but also students, Walkley, a dump and too near Sheff Weds.

Depends how central you want to be and what you enjoy, if I was to go back I would head out somewhere in The Peaks and cycle in each day I reckon.
  • Wow, great news, good luck with the job.
    My only advice would be to avoid CL groupies Miss Piggy.
  • You have my sympathy. (:
  • #swerve
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2014
    I've heard everything is massive up there.
  • I'd rather dance the tango with the ukip candidate on the would ya thread.
  • You'll love the North, it's great!

You'll love Sheffield - when you find Operation Pig is your next door neighbour.

;o)

Charlton Life's joke of the year!
  • Come on piglet where are you when we actually want ur input!
  • Don't do it!
  • Budget and job location are the most significant factors before deciding where to settle. Some nice places, but some dumps as well. Being near a super tram route could help the commute. Good luck.
  • Sponsored links:

• Just make sure you get sat nav installed so you can find your way back down south.
  • Commute in from Chesterfield much nicer.
  • I live in North Notts, if you can commute from there...if not stay south of Sheffield, Chesterfield is ok.....PM me if you want any help.
  • edited May 2014

Definitely setting myself up here...

Just got a new job up in Sheffield. I have been looking for paid work in zoology for about 6 years and if looks like working 7 days a week and volunteering for over 5 years has finally paid off :)

However I have little/no idea of what areas to live in up there, hoping to get some advice off of the new employers but I am sure the helpful souls of CL can offer up some 'useful' advice ;)

Thanks in advance...

No advice at all really other than you're only 5 miles from some beautiful countrysideto the west. Congratulations on your job - well done for sticking to what you want to do and not just giving up and becoming a wage slave.
  • dizzee said:

You'll love the North, it's great!

Charlton Life's joke of the year!

Didn't expect this but first I'd like to thank my mum for giving me life, my agent................... ;-)
  • Sheffield is a city with the most area of a National Park in it's boundaries than any other city in the UK. Good luck to you, leaving aside football stuff for a moment, I reckon you will find the people to be great, and friendly, unless they are anti southerners on principle. Hope you settle well and make friends and can afford regular trips back to the Valley.
    You will have Sheffield Wednesday, Leeds, Huddersfield and Middlesboro, Derby and Nottingham within quite easy reach.
  • There are some great places to live in and around Sheffield, where about's will you be based - in the City or out in the sticks somewhere?
  • It's all a shite tip to be honest. Just don't buy a car with hub caps
  • I am very sorry to hear your news
  • edited May 2014
    Why don't you move in with operation pig for a while and get a feel for the area?