Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Hinterland (Mondays BBC 4 9PM)

Really enjoying these, though on the long side at 1hr 35. Great dark feel to them, very Aberystwyth. They are also full of very human stories and backgrounds to each murder, no power crazy or psychotic ego's behind them.

Comments

• Options
    Agree, Shrew.

Like the main characters & plots are not far fetched.
  • Options
    Watched the first one last night, a bit disappointed tbh. As you say, very long, yet I had no idea of the back story of the main detective. If I had not read up a preview I would not have gathered that he had been drafted in from another part of the country. Why? Does he live in that caravan? Does he not have any family?

I am a BBC fan generally, but felt this is trading on the success of Scandi-noir, but not doing it as well. Sorry.
  • Options

Watched the first one last night, a bit disappointed tbh. As you say, very long, yet I had no idea of the back story of the main detective. If I had not read up a preview I would not have gathered that he had been drafted in from another part of the country. Why? Does he live in that caravan? Does he not have any family?

I am a BBC fan generally, but felt this is trading on the success of Scandi-noir, but not doing it as well. Sorry.

Last sentence is spot on. Think it's a first attempt to hack into the Scandi-noir genre which hasn't quite come off. In fairness though it is better than the recent British attempts at crime drama which have been universally atrocious.

• Options
    Southcliffe - Broadchurch?
  • Options
    The back story becomes apparent as the series goes on (it was broadcast in Welsh last year which made it appear more foreign...). Genrally I thought it was fabulous, and so, so very bleak and sad, which is true of that part of the world.
  • Options
    Watched the first one. Very long for what it was and not interesting enough.

I might try the second one.
  • Options
    IA said:

I felt that. We bailed out after 20 minutes of the second episode.

• Options

IA said:

OK, good to know. Will delete.

• Options

IA said:

Hope you are paying the license fee.
    ;-)

• Options

IA said:

;-)

Don't get me started.

I'd pay twice the licence fee for a digital subscription.

You know who moved the BBC off the encrypted Sky platform, meaning that I had to buy a huge 2.1 m dish? Greg effing Dyke!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

IA said:

;-)

Don't get me started.

You know who moved the BBC off the encrypted Sky platform, meaning that I had to buy a huge 2.1 m dish? Greg effing Dyke!!!
    Any idea what He's upto nowadays ?
  • Options

IA said:

;-)

Don't get me started.

Think yourself lucky, can't get it at all now from a dish down here. Thank goodness for Pa-in-law's VPN connection and IPlayer...
  • Options

IA said:

Watched the second one tonight. Better than the first, but that's now 3 hours of this show and no backstory for the characters, and in both episodes there have been big unexplained jumps in logic/storyline.

The switches between English and Welsh are strange (eg the woman talks to her daughter and mother in only Welsh, but speaks to her dad in English). I think the only thing Welsh adds to the tv series is the foreign/subtitles element, but I'm sure the people who worry about Welsh will be happy with it.

I might try the third, but can't say I'm that bothered. Wallander starts on Saturday and I've heard good things.
  • Options
    I quite like the lack of back story, he's not the sort of man to talk to anyone about his own life, flashbacks would be tacky. Im fine with knowing that he's very much on his own and grieving the loss of his kids which in various ways echo's the lives of many of the people wrapped up in the investigations.
  • Options
    Shrew said:

I quite like the lack of back story, he's not the sort of man to talk to anyone about his own life, flashbacks would be tacky. Im fine with knowing that he's very much on his own and grieving the loss of his kids which in various ways echo's the lives of many of the people wrapped up in the investigations.

Grieving the loss... is this in the third episode?
  • Options
    Caught up with the first two last night. Bit slow but acceptable.
  • Options
    IA said:

Shrew said:

Grieving the loss... is this in the third episode?
    I don't think there is much more revealed but further gazing at photos up on his caravan wall.
  • Options
    Wallander was as usual very well done. Quality series.
  • Options

Wallander was as usual very well done. Quality series.

Il be catching up with that later in the week