Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Getting rid of old video tapes

Got somewhere between 50 and 100 old videotapes I want to get rid of. Yet to find a charity shop that still accepts videos. Anyone got any suggestions? Also, I've heard it's possible to transfer tapes onto DVD - would be grateful if anyone can let me know where you can get this done, and how much it costs.

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2014
    We did it ourselves with the aid of an old TV with built in video recorder and a DVD player / recorder.
  • Options
    My old man did this a couple of months ago. Snappy Snaps in Lewisham. Sorry I dont know the prices but he was happy and he is a tight git.

He also had to take the old ones to the tip and pay for them to be thrown away legally. No fly tippers please! no charity shop will except them over the counter.

• Options
    Try those big black things outside your house
  • Options
    With 100+ tapes?!

• Options

My old man did this a couple of months ago. Snappy Snaps in Lewisham. Sorry I dont know the prices but he was happy and he is a tight git.

He also had to take the old ones to the tip and pay for them to be thrown away legally. No fly tippers please! no charity shop will except them over the counter.

Thanks for that. I live in Lewisham so that's ideal.

• Options
    @kingshilladdick converted some Charlton videos to DVD for me, so he has some knowledge in this area.
  • Options
    I've got a CAFC compilation video of pretty much every game with TV highlights from the 70's and 80's, whoever made it only made about half a dozen copies of it I believe, some great memories on it
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Had to go through this lark a couple of years ago. A VCR/CD player with copying facility costs about £200 but some tapes have security coding for copyright reasons and cannot be copied on these machines (usually the big feature films). It is almost impossible to give the old tapes away and ours went in the skip, seemed a terrible waist but there we are.

By coincidence, on a T.V consumer show this morning there was a piece about fly -tipping and a farmer had had 13,000 video tapes dumped on his land in one night. Not yours were they ? { :- )
  • Options
    13,000? Christ, they'd take you ages to go through to see if any of them had any Frankie Vaughan on.
  • Options
    Tried a bin ? Or the recycling bag which takes plastics ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's not difficult if you have correct equipment. I kept a VHS player for that very reason. If you only had a handful I'd do it for you (for nothing or cost) but 100 would take me ages and to be honest I wouldn't want to bother with that many.
  • Options

shine166 said:

Tried a bin ? Or the
    recycling bag which takes plastics ?

We couldn't get the re-cyclers to take them : it's the chemical on the film itself that's the problem, the plastic is OK. As said above the Council will charge if they do take them.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    MrLargo said:

Got somewhere between 50 and 100 old videotapes I want to get rid of. Yet to find a charity shop that still accepts videos. Anyone got any suggestions? Also, I've heard it's possible to transfer tapes onto DVD - would be grateful if anyone can let me know where you can get this done, and how much it costs.

Tape 1 Dervite scores v Yeovil.

Tape 2 Dervite scores v Bournemouth

Tape 3 Best of Dorian Dervite

Tape 4 ...........

:-) sorry, couldn't resist :-)