Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Allot Happening at Watford

For those old 'uns who remember the long trek to the away end at Vicarage Road around the back of the Farm Terrace allotments.

It would appear that the disposal of the 128 allotment site has has been approved by Eric Pickles to "...to support the Watford Health Campus, a major regeneration scheme".

Locals are however not convinced and have requested a judicial review after discovering that what is actually to be built on their veggie patches is not hospital buidings but in fact a fecking great big car park for Watford FC.

Comments

• Options
    Fair old trek that was. Remember walking it the day Brownie got badly injured, must have been 91?
  • Options
    What does Graham Turnip think :-)
  • Options
    I have heard from some of the locals that there is a planned metropolitan line upgrade that will include new statipns in that area, including one for the football ground / hospital
  • Options
    Very Good @Addickted, I see what you did there.
    ;-)
  • Options
    It's still a pretty long walk from the station !

Watford should be focusing on sorting out that dump of a stadium rather than building car parks.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

It's still a pretty long walk from the station !

Watford should be focusing on sorting out that dump of a stadium rather than building car parks.

To be fair, three of the four stands are ok, and the one that isn't is now being sorted out.

A beer in the away end would be nice though!
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    You used to tip out at Grotford Junction and be shepherded by the Old Bill on to a special train that trundled round the branch to "Watford Stadium" station, then walk between the allotments to the away end.

If my memory serves me, I'm pretty sure there were allotments over the back wall of the four-step "terrace" at the away end of Cambridge United. I recall glancing over at an old boy digging his spuds as George Reilly banged in a hat-trick against us, about 1979? And on sale from the kiosk in the ground: mushy peas and mint sauce.
  • Options
    Cafc999 is right....Metropolitan Line is being extended to Watford Junction with a new stop (on the old branch line) at Vicarage Road.

tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/documents/croxley-rail-link-plan.pdf
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    <blockquote class="Quote" rel="Brendan_O_ConnellTo be fair, three of the four stands are ok, and the one that isn't is now being sorted out.

A beer in the away end would be nice though!

Going to be ready for next season which will give the ground a much better look!

Nothing fancy but better than an empty stand..

http://iris2.time-lapse-systems.com/watford-football-club-cam (2nd section is coming down later in the summer)

Cannot help with the 2nd part though....

As for the allotments/health campus - its been going on for years hence those flats around the back of the Rookery which are for the "key workers"

• Options
    The new stand is pretty dull looking but an improvement over the ramshackle mess there at the moment!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

You used to tip out at Grotford Junction and be shepherded by the Old Bill on to a special train that trundled round the branch to "Watford Stadium" station, then walk between the allotments to the away end.

If my memory serves me, I'm pretty sure there were allotments over the back wall of the four-step "terrace" at the away end of Cambridge United. I recall glancing over at an old boy digging his spuds as George Reilly banged in a hat-trick against us, about 1979? And on sale from the kiosk in the ground: mushy peas and mint sauce.

I remember that, prob about 79\80, very rural surrounding's then searched before going in and taking laces from doc martens, seems bizarre nowdays.
  • Options

The new stand is pretty dull looking but an improvement over the ramshackle mess there at the moment!

It's just so... err! Watford.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1252851

• Options
    One of a number of allotments under threat from developers and councils eager for any money they can get.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited May 2014
    Watford is a bit of a grim hole dominated by a misconceived one way system.
  • Options
    DanDavis said:

Cafc999 is right....Metropolitan Line is being extended to Watford Junction with a new stop (on the old branch line) at Vicarage Road.

tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/documents/croxley-rail-link-plan.pdf

I can see you're proper Charlton, Dan!

;o)
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Twice the size of the one at Southend then, mind you that one does have two tiers.