Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Can you recommend some good campsites in Devon?

Hi,

I'm thinking of going camping in Devon this summer. I have 3 children aged 7 - 12.

Does anyone have any recommendations about good campsites and places to go?

Comments

• Options
    Be good to see the responses to this we are looking to do the same but in a camper can
  • Options
    As a kid we used to go to Easewell farm, Mortehoe, near Woolacombe, great site with great beaches nearby, I'm pretty sure it's still going, at least it was 10 years ago!
  • Options
    "Camper can" Wossat ?
  • Options
    Pennymore is good
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    There is a place called Twitchen at Morthoe near Woolacombe in Devon which used to have an assortment of static caravans, touring caravans and campers. Not been down there for many years though.

EDIT: Found a link for you.

http://www.woolacombe.co.uk/devon-holiday-parks/twitchen-house
  • Options
    Ruda in Croyde Bay.

Great on site facilities and showers etc.
  • Options
    Two in Ilfracombe...thats a beautiful coastal small town.

Watermouth and Little Meadow

Lots of fun days for the kids, Big Sheep and Milky Way if they like animals. Braunton Borrows is good for walks, same with Exmoor and Dartmoor. Dartington Crystal tour is also good fun. All the activities are a bit more educational and wholesome than a typical theme park but still fun.

there is some great point to point horse racing in the area, not for the gambling more that kids are usually fascinated by the spectacle.

Woolacombe is also lovely. I much prefer N devon to the south coast.
  • Options
    I can't specifically help on Devon but Uk Campsites, cool camping and pitchup.com are good for reviews and giving you an idea. Have got a campervan but yet to get down to Devon and Cornwall as yet. Very much on the list of places to visit
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Go to ukcampsite.co.uk and read the reviews. By far the best way!
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    But in some 40 years of camping, I have found the coastal sites to be dirty, overpriced and chavvy. By going just a few miles inland you will find some beauties, but it all depends upon what you like.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks for all the help!
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    P.S North Devon has stunning scenery but it can get very cold, very wet and very windy. When that has happened we have always moved onto Dorzett but now we just spend our time in Southern France :-)
  • Options
    Scum and palace will be loving this thread!
  • Options
    We too have stayed at Twitcham near Morthoe. Decent little beach at Morthoe too, overshadowed by its big brother at Woolacombe.
  • Options
    I am in a static caravan near Ashburton at the moment. Seems nice but my first time. Midway between coast and moors, Plymouth and Exeter so lots of different days out if a week on the beach is not your thing. It's called Parkers and is good value.
  • Options

I am in a static caravan near Ashburton at the moment. Seems nice but my first time. Midway between coast and moors, Plymouth and Exeter so lots of different days out if a week on the beach is not your thing. It's called Parkers and is good value.

Ah you are pretty close to me, I live in totnes
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Totnes is brilliant, we loved the place, all arty creative weirdy and homely. You are very fortunate to live there IMO, people talk to each other and smile!!!!
  • Options

Scum and palace will be loving this thread!

Good, as long as the buggers don't cotton on to how brilliant it is to have a home where the wheels go round and round.
  • Options
    shine166 said:

Ah you are pretty close to me, I live in totnes
    We are thinking of moving to Ashburton or Buckfastleigh so are here doing a bit of exploring. Any tips/advice?
  • Options
    If you want somewhere with a bit of everything, we enjoyed Devon Cliffs in Exmouth. It's a Haven, but I thought it was very good value and a lot for the kids to do.

Avoid Dawlish Warren area, very tired looking seaside scene
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Be good to see the responses to this we are looking to do the same but in a camper can

Did a Devon and Cornwall tour in an old VW van 4 years ago. All going well until Mrs came across a dodgy prawn at Rick Stein's - sink never worked again.

Campsites needed booking during the peak holiday season.
  • Options
    Higher rew farm in salcombe. Lovely camp site and a beautiful part of Devon.
  • Options
    Speak to Jay Cartwright. He says it can get proper naughty at the campsite he goes to.