Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Majorca next week

I am heading to Majorca with the family next week and I am after some advice from those of you who have visited before.

We will be based on the East coast in a smallish fishing town called Porto Cristo but will have a car to explore the island.

My two little girls are aged 3 and 5.

Any advice on some nice places to visit? Thanks in advance.

Fk

Comments

• Options
    Port de Soller is lovely, do the tram ride up to Soller. Pollenca and Alcudia are also nice places, nice beaches too. Palma is also worth a visit, nice shops and cathedral although try and get there early as parking is a 'mare.
  • Options
    Only been to Cala D'or before which is beautiful - not sure if you're near there.

I have not got kids but im guessing they are too young for the water park.

Son Amar nightime show (dancers, singers, magic acts and three course meal) was very good value but this was nearly 15 years ago so not sure if it is still running.

Lovely island and perfect for young families.
  • Options
    Santa ponsa is nice
  • Options
    Porto Petro is lovely and there is a great beach at Cala Mondrago; although you have to walk round to it on a path round the edge and not just go to the beach where you arrive. Both are near Cala D'Or which is more South East than East
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone who's responded so far. Keep those suggestions coming!
  • Options
    Pollenca is lovely as is Port De Polenca. Both have market days which are nice and plenty of nice restaurants.
  • Options
    Love Majorca, would move their tomorrow. All the costal tourist points on the East coast are similar and nice, Cala D'or and Cala Milllor / Cala Bona are probably the nicest.

Things to do with kids? You have a Safari Zoo at Porto Cristo, you've also the big main attractions such as the aqua parks, Caves of Drach, aquariam in Palma etc. beaches and pools will take up most of the time though.

Not sure what sort of accommodation you have, but I'd like through a few tour operators, have a look at the nearest designated kid friendly hotel, and pick the best one to rock up to one day and use their pools etc.

Have fun
  • Options
    This is where I stayed in Santa Ponsa, Pirate themed hotel, Brilliant for the kids but the all inclusive was rubbish

https://www.alpharooms.com/pirates_village_in_santa_ponsa.aspx

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Stayed in Porto Cristo 4 years ago and like you, used a car to explore the island. Porto Cristo very 'quaint' with some nice restaurants and decent small beach. You can also get a really good boat trip from there. A couple of lovely beaches nearby (just south) that are small coves but have pedlo's, lifeguards etc. They are called Cala Anguilla and Cala Romantica. As mentioned, Cala D'Or is well worth a visit for it's many beaches, all small sandy coves, (going in August) and you are on the right part of the island for it.

Depending on what else you are after, the beaches at Cala Millor and C'an Piquafort also decent but the resorts not quite as nice. If you fancy a bit of culture Alcudia old town is gorgeous and the capital, Palma, is excellent. When driving around you will notice a monument set high up on a hill near Porto Cristo. It is called the Sanctuary of San Salvador (near Felanixt) and is well worth a visit for the views and a look around the disused monastery that is also on top of the hill; you can't miss it! There is also a cafe up there! The waterpark at Arenal is very good, much better than the one at Alcudia. Can't comment on Magaluf/Palma Nova as we did not go that far around.

It generally is just a great island to drive around and explore, totally different to the stereotypical 'shagaluf' view if you are prepared to get out a bit.

Enjoy!

Edit: You will drive through Manacor to get to Porto Cristo. Rafa Nadal is from there.
  • Options
    Magaluf
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cala D'Or is one of my favourite places. We prefer to be organised to eat in the evening in town where the atmosphere is very nice. Very pleasant harbour area as well. Enjoy.
  • Options
    If you go to Pollenca be sure to carry on to Casa Formentor absolutely beautiful strap in for the journey there though
  • Options
    North east definitely the best part of the island in my opinion

A great Restaurant is the Porxada de se Torre which is on the main road going to Canyamel.

I also highly recommend Bianicanella (spelling?) restaurant which is just next to the Pula golf and hotel complex

Villages of Canyamel and Capedera have great beaches.

The most interesting of markets is in the town of Arta, usually twice weekly.
  • Options
    Cala St Vincent has 2 beaches and a massive rock to jump off into the sea. If you have kids, you cannot go wrong with Alcudia. The Pine walk of an evening in Port du Pollenca is also very nice with great Restuarants and sand sculptures and Jugglers etc.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I stayed just a little bit up from Cala Bona, good restaurant there called Sa Punta and like Calydon would recommend Binacanella, really excellent grub.

German resort Cala Ratjada I kinda liked, very friendly people and decent choice of meals around the harbour. Further up was a good beach at Cala Mesquida, not too crowded and had plenty of facilities
  • Options
    If you visit Alcudia, make sure to go towards the old town and steer clear of the 'strip' which is a mile or so along the coast. There is a nature park close by too which is an enjoyable walk, just take plenty of deet spray with you if you plan on doing it. Last went when the Ironman challenge was in town, amazing buzz to the place at the time
  • Options

If you go to Pollenca be sure to carry on to Casa Formentor absolutely beautiful strap in for the journey there though

We did that last year , bus there was enough so got the boat back.

• Options

I stayed just a little bit up from Cala Bona, good restaurant there called Sa Punta and like Calydon would recommend Binacanella, really excellent grub.

German resort Cala Ratjada I kinda liked, very friendly people and decent choice of meals around the harbour. Further up was a good beach at Cala Mesquida, not too crowded and had plenty of facilities

Too true mate....think we had the mixed grill last time and that was a sensational surf n turf mix..prawns as big as your fist

I remember thinking it was great value too but i dont mind spending a bit on a good meal.

Service really impressed me as well. ..i got free desserts just for plugging them on trip advisor
  • Options
    Pollenca/Port de Pollenca and Formentor are all fab. Took the bus to Formentor and had no problem with it - the views are worth it unless you are tremendously nervy.
    The drive from Pollenca over to Soller is beautiful, couple of hours across wooded mountains.

I think Soller is nicer than Port de Soller, though the port is great for seasidey things. Fab restaurants and hotels in Soller town, and a great Saturday morning market in the square.

And Palma is where I'd live given the choice - just strolling about will amuse you for a couple of days. Went last year for the first time in 10 years, so my opinions are reaspnably current.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. Really appreciate the advice!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Cala St Vincent has 2 beaches and a massive rock to jump off into the sea. If you have kids, you cannot go wrong with Alcudia. The Pine walk of an evening in Port du Pollenca is also very nice with great Restuarants and sand sculptures and Jugglers etc.

Exactly what I would have said.....used to go twice a year, March/April and October.....beautiful time of year and less crowded but still warm