Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

World Cup 2014 Thread

Comments

• Has anyone tried this McDonald's / FIFA dream team. You can't actually put a decent squad together unless you want it full of Bosnians, Koreans and Iranians…so much like our squad will look like next year I suppose.
  • The World Cup is good news for Peru according to a guy I used to train!

With the FIFA World Cup about to start in Brazil, cocaine traffickers from around the region are hoping to cash in on the festivities.

Anti-drug authorities in Peru have seen a huge rise in trafficking activities across the Brazilian border since the beginning of the year.

Jaime Antezana of the Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú told AFP That “Brazilian traffickers know that during the World Cup, controls are lax and they are preparing for a veritable festival of cocaine consumption.”

The expert added, “Brazil is now the world’s second largest consumer of cocaine, but during the World Cup, it is expected to overtake the United States and become number one.
  • Roy Hodgson: ‘It’s better to have stomach cramps than malaria’

Can't argue with that.
  • Happy World cup eve!
  • 37 hours to go............
  • To be fair, he does for England.

Thought this was interesting for the stattos out there - http://www.goldmansachs.com/our-thinking/outlook/world-cup-sections/world-cup-book-2014-statistical-model.html
  • Richard Swarbrick - 'Great world cup goals'. This is my kind of art, really beautifully done and animated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXyrQTcSmzY
  • Sponsored links:

• Right, final chance then - who is going to win it?

I reckon Spain.
  • Anyone seen the state of the pitch for Saturday? Looks like our pitch last season.
  • Is it my tele or is Alan Shearer turning Japanese? On the box now and I think his make ups not quite right...
  • World Cup 2014: Manaus groundsman admits pitch will be in poor condition for England's opener against Italy
    Expert responsible for the surface at the Amazonia Arena says the playing surface is in “bad shape” and will not be much better by Saturday
  • World Cup day!!
  • Can't remember what the convention is, are we having separate threads for each match? Stickies? I think we usually do otherwise this thread is going to be longer than the General Things That Annoy You monolith...
  • World Cup 2014: Manaus groundsman admits pitch will be in poor condition for England's opener against Italy
    Expert responsible for the surface at the Amazonia Arena says the playing surface is in “bad shape” and will not be much better by Saturday

Looks as bad as ours.
  • Sponsored links:

• Am I just out of tune with all the build-up and hype or is this the lowest key World Cup since the USA in 1994?

• Am I just out of tune with all the build-up and hype or is this the lowest key World Cup since the USA in 1994?

I don't think so. It's been all over the media for months. What I think is different is the level of expectation on our team. A lot the public really don't know anything about football outside of the Premiership. After 22 years of having Sky et al spoon feeding them nonsense about our football being the greatest in the world and our national side is full of world beaters I think the penny has finally dropped.

Personally, I think this can only work in our favour.

Looks as bad as ours.
    Will help with close offside decisions though.
  • Looking at that pitch surely a late call up for some of our players who know how to play on a fine surface like that.

Oh wait, the game is on a Saturday, never mind.

I don't think so. It's been all over the media for months. What I think is different is the level of expectation on our team. A lot the public really don't know anything about football outside of the Premiership. After 22 years of having Sky et al spoon feeding them nonsense about our football being the greatest in the world and our national side is full of world beaters I think the penny has finally dropped.

Personally, I think this can only work in our favour.
    I think you may be right.

Usually everyone disagrees about the squad and hates the manager but gets over excited about England's prospects.

This year the opposite seems to be true.

• 4 hours to go!!!!!!!!
  • edited June 2014

"Apparently the game is 17h in Brazil and 22h in France? So people on site, please: NO SPOILER, PLEASE"
  • edited June 2014
    Oh.
  • Hope the football is better than the opening ceremony!
  • edited June 2014
    Attempting to watch the opening ceremony on a long train journey from Edinburgh. Intermittent wifi so I keep dipping in and out but I get the impression it's the usual cheesy fest. Why do they bother with these things?

Edit. Even worse with bloody Tyldesly waffling through it!