Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mauritius / Fear of Flying / Advice Needed

Flying to Mauritius on Thursday afternoon with my wife for just over a weeks holiday. Bless her, she booked it as a surprise, so I'd be a cretin to seem ungrateful and the place looks the nuts.................once we get there.

I've never been a great flyer over the years, but can just about manage a sub 2 hour flight to Spain most years without turning into a complete gibbering mess. But this is 12 frigging hours. ARHH!!

Two questions for for you wonderful Charlton Lifers out there, who I'm sure are much more mature than I am when it comes to flying.

1. Any tips during the flight to make it more bearable., I'll have a few drinks but don't want to get legless, and might pop a Nytol after a few hours.

2. Anyone been there before, and did you enjoy the place?

Sincere thanks in advance for any help / advice you can give me.

Very worried of Bexley

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Not easy. When you are on the aircraft focus on where and why you are going and how wonderful it will be. When I say focus I mean really focus. Eyes shut. Visualise. Tell yourself how great it will be. Good luck.
  • Options
    Download some decent new movies onto your Ipad or take your laptop with work stuff on it - watch with headphones in, and convince your self you are on a train.

If you can't hear all those nonsense announcements by cabin crew - you are less likely to get stressed out by the flight. In the end you will fall asleep in the middle of what you are doing, and Hey Presto, flight over.

Good Luck.
  • Options
    No need to be scared of flying.
    It's crashing thats gets you.

Sorry, doesnt help !!!

I presume the worst part is take off and landing?

Get a book, magazine etc anything to help take your mind off of what is happening at that time.

Take a few deep breaths, make sure you have a bottle of water to cool you down, if you start getting hot and bothered whilst taxiing.

When nervous I find sucking on some boiled sweets or munching on some Haribo type sweet helps negate the sicky nervous feeling you might have.

Or take pen and paper and try to list all the teams in premier division, then championship etc.
    Anything that gets you thinking of anything apart from what is going on around you.

Once up in the air, watch a few films and go for regular walks.
  • Options
    I don't fly mistrollingin. Not afraid of anything about the mechanics of it, take off, landing, turbulence etc.. For me it's going into an enclosed space that I can't get out of.

I've talked to a lot of people about it, they all say that Valium is a great way to get through it. Takes you to a nice chilled out place.

Just hope I have the bollocks to try it one time.

BTW, my folks have been to Mauritius and loved every minute. Great place.
  • Options
    Mauritius is amazing, well worth the 12 hour flight, like others say concentrate on where your going and what a fab time u will have not how your getting there.
  • Options
    Statistically, flying is the safest form of transport (I believe).
  • Options
    Mauritius is a fantastic place, been there a few times ...lots of great places to visit
  • Options
    Not sure who you are flying with, but on all BA long haul flights they have a 30-40 minute program on the in-flight entertainment, aimed at nervous flyers. It is very interesting and also very helpful. I don't suffer with flying terror, but am never totally relaxed and I found that the program helped a lot.

To be honest, in my experience, Long Haul is better for nervous flyers as you have the in-flight entertainment to keep you occupied.

No matter what anyone says, a few drinks will definitely take the edge off. Don't get plastered as you might flip out!
  • Options

Statistically, flying is the safest form of transport (I believe).

Elevators :)
    But yes, seriously - flying is the safest form of transport by a mile.
  • Options
    Things to do: local bus service cheap and frequent. Worth a visit to the Capital, Port Louis to visit the local market; stay on the bus until it terminates at the city bus terminal.

For the more adventurous, you can walk with Lions (they are roaming free, ie untethered). You can also go into the cheetah enclosure and pet those.

You can also walk on the seabed with an upsidedown fishbowl on your head, into which oxygen is pumped.

The island, in my experience is very safe. Larger visible police presence on the streets than in the UK.

There are also tourist trip to some islands - Gabrielle was one, as I recall.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @mistrollingin firstly Mauritius is a great place, albeit quite French (used to be a French colony I believe). I had the pleasure of working there between 07 and 09, not for the full 2 years but a regular visitor out there to one of our partners based in Port St Louis. You will have a great time there and the weather and beeches are superb!! People are very friendly and food is wonderful.
    Now onto flying.....before I got the job which took me to Mauritius, The Philippines, India, Peru and South Africa I had the most terrible fear of flying....absolutely petrified and convinced that if I stood up on the plane to go to the loo I would tip the plane over!! This was on a 2 hr flight to Spain!! I had such a fear that I would throw-up before I left home. However when I got the job, I mentioned above, I was only there 3 weeks before they told me I had to go to Bangalore (India) in 5 days time......to say I went into 'melt down' was an understatement, but I didn't want to lose my job (I had been unemployed before then), so I hid my fear. I can remember the day I left Mrs RM and drove from Hinckley down to Heathrow, mostly in tears as I thought that this was it, my time had come!! I arrived at Heathrow, went through all the normal security checks, eventually got on the plane, BUT as it was a 12 hr flight it wasn't one of those small planes, it was a Jumbo Jet. I took my seat, said a prayer and tried to concentrate on the job I had to do when I got out to India. I was then amazed at the 'take-off'.....didn't feel it......didn't feel us climbing and didn't notice anything about the flight.....including the landing....the larger aircraft are just so smooth......it is quite a different experience to the small short haul planes. In the next 2 1/2 years I did 250,000 air miles and loved every minute of it!! I now miss it, but give me a long haul over a short haul everyday of the week. The only advice I can give is enjoy the long haul larger plane, as others have said concentrate on why your are going to the wonderful Mauritius and know that there are other people who have been through what you are feeling and yet are now experienced flyers. The only other piece of advice I can give is look for a book called 'The fear of Flying' (I think it was called that), it explains everything from how planes work, the noises you hear at certain times of the flight, explaining all the safety equipment and all you need to know. I found it to be of great help, but nothing is as good to help you overcome your fear as flying on a long-haul flight....believe me it is a different experience and one I hope you will enjoy. If you would like to discuss, PM me and perhaps we can speak. Good luck mate (but you wont need it)

Cheers
    RedM
  • Options
    Isle de Cerfs is a lovely place to visit to. Agree with Peter that a trip to Port Louis is a must. We hired a car for 3-4 days and drove all over the place (though not to Port Louis where we caught a bus to). You will be fine on the flight all the above is good advice and assume your flying direct so won't have the hassle we had flying via Paris with Air France, which wasn't really worth the hassle to save a couple of hundred quid.
  • Options
    risk which is minor is take off and landing. you can obviously manage these.
    flights are boring, recommend drinking a bit when in the air followed by a good sleep.
    avoid tea/coffee as makes sleeping less easy.

have a great holiday.
  • Options
    Get some valium from your GP - you may find that just knowing you can take it will stop you from needing to take it.
  • Options
    Beautiful place to visit. Great golf courses if you are into it and I swam in the ocean with wild dolphins (as opposed to tame dolphins in a pool). You will love it. Flying long-haul is all about sensible time-management. Watch a film or two, enjoy your in-flight meal and try to get plenty of sleep. If really worried you should talk to your doctor.
  • Options
    One of the most beautiful places in the world. Culturally interesting and visually amazing. Don't know what your plans are but if you're just staying at a hotel, I would recommend going to a beach without the foreigners and trying out all the food stalls etc. There's quite a few good days out too, some place with all different colour earths and waterfalls (can't describe it, will try and find out what it's called for you)
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Understand the basics of how a plane flies - especially how a jet engine works! The jet engine is such a simple thing that it is extremely unlikely to go wrong and if one does the plane can fly on the other! Then read James May's excellent book, how to fly an Airbus A330. You will be convinced that if the pilots both die from rogue prawn sandwiches, you will be able to get the plane home - you seriously will think that and even be slightly disapointed when you land that you haven't had the chance to be a hero. As long as you avoid Russian or African airlines you are safer than going to work. Enjoy the flight!
  • Options
    Flying ...avoid alcohol ..really does work takes away anxiety ..have a great break .....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yeah, I'm flying with the classy Ryan Air this week, and I feel nervous. Partly because it's Ryan Air, and also I know it's the safer form of travel, but if my car gets bumped, stalls, skids I should be ok. If the plane breaks..... as Billy Connely said: put your head between your knees as the plane hits the ground like an f....ing dart. It'll be fine though! :)

• Options
    I hate landing. Putting down tonnes of metal at 100 miles an hour. Its too ridiculous to be possible. Went to Oz this year and the pilot landed an A380...if you had been asleep you would not have stirred.

The take off and the landing are where statistically you are more likely to habe trouble. Thats a few minutes of your lengthy flight. Allow yourself to be scared then. If that goes alright then you lived, congratulations.
  • Options
    Been twice to Mauritius, its an incredible place.

You'll have a fantastic time.

• Options
    Not a great place... If you're a dodo. Where abouts are you staying? I stayed in a remote town in the north, but actually would have preferred to be in grand baie. Nice place though, dolphin watching trips and diving worth doing.

For the flight I always find heavy drinking and an aggressive crywank while away the hours.
  • Options
    You'll be fine my friend. By the time you've taken off, watched a film, had a bite to eat etc, you'll be halfway through and then you'll be on countdown. Manage to get a bit of sleep and you're laughing.

Hope you and the good lady have a great time. Please give her my regards.
  • Options
    For the record, drinking copious amounts of alcohol does not help. Dehydration is a problem anyway with flying and drinking alcohol just makes it worse. This can increase anxiety. Best to drink plenty of water and limit the drinking to, say, one or two glasses of wine at the most. Many years ago I hated flying but now I've done so much of it and love it. Good luck and relax. :-))
  • Options
    Valium.
  • Options
    (a) Think of it as a practice run for the OZ flight.
    (b) Think of it as a golden opportunity to relax, unwind and sleep before you get there after all the stress of actually getting to the airport.
    (c) Think of big dipper rides for takeoff, landing and turbulence.

Enjoy...

• Options

Yeah, I'm flying with the classy Ryan Air this week, and I feel nervous. Partly because it's Ryan Air, and also I know it's the safer form of travel, but if my car gets bumped, stalls, skids I should be ok. If the plane breaks..... as Billy Connely said: put your head between your knees as the plane hits the ground like an f....ing dart. It'll be fine though! :)

No need to worry, Ryan Air is a fatality free airline. That's not bad considering they make well over half a million flights a year. I'm pretty sure you'll be coming back safe and sound.
  • Options
    100% valium
    Pop one about an hour in and sleep