Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

PlayStation 3 is broke YLOD

I know there are a few gamers on here and knowing how helpful this forum can be, I've got a problem;:

A few weeks ago, just as I was about to lead Arsenal into European glory (Wenger can only dream) my PlayStation 3 just switched itself off. Now, it is is an old one. I bought it on the day of it's release (2006 / 2007?), so it's the original model. I've followed a few online instructions of how to try and resurrect it, i.e. holding the power button down and then turning it off on the back before trying again. No luck. It just beeps at me, flashes a red light and turns itself off again. Before I consider either buying a slimline PS3 or saving for a PS4 are there any other methods or any decent repair shops in and around London / NW Kent? Is it worth repairing or do I just suck it up and buy a new one?

Over to you guys...

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like you have the dreaded Red Light of Death
    No definite fix but if you type red light of death into google, i am sure there are suggestions
  • Options
    I believe it's the 'yellow light of death' so this sounds different. I expect you've looked already but youtube has quite a few vids on repair so maybe one might help.
  • Options
    Is there any yellow/orange light at all after it goes red.

If no, then go by the above advice and search YouTube and/or Playstation/PSN forums.

If yes, then from experience you're knackered.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Thanks everyone.

There is no yellow / orange light after it goes red. I've read that it may be caused by overheating. I'll have a look on YouTube tonight and see if I can fix it. I've not touched it since it happened as I've been waiting to find somewhere to take it. I'll let you know how I get on...and just for you @Huskaris I'll let you know if I ever win that elusive European trophy!
  • Options
    Red Robins Playstation - RIP
  • Options
    Mine done this opened it to find the whole thing caked in dust, Hover it off, should be fine, but if you are really worried, try and get it running again and back the system up to an external hard drive
  • Options
    Can't help with the issue, but I did see that Sony are offering 0% interest for six months on a PS4 on the hotukdeals website.
  • Options
    #PrayforRedRobin
  • Options

Red Robins Playstation - RIP

#PrayforRedRobin

I think I am clutching at straws to be honest. Just wasted six minutes of my life (and my working day) watching some northerner use a hairdryer on a PS3 to fix this problem. It worked but I do wonder how long it would last for.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    sam3110 said:

Mine done this opened it to find the whole thing caked in dust, Hover it off, should be fine, but if you are really worried, try and get it running again and back the system up to an external hard drive

I think I might drop it if I try to make it hover. I'll try a hoover instead. Thanks @sam3110.
  • Options
    If you need to get it working to copy the data off it then I've heard that a hairdryer into the fans at the back might help.

I went through all this a couple of years ago as I had a game stuck in it. In the end I just bought a new one and took the machine apart to remove the disk and the hard drive.

However, I wasn't able to transfer my saved games across, so I lost them all.
  • Options
    A bit of a disclaimer; I'm not a gamer and know sod-all about games consoles as per se! ;)

However, if a hair dryer was a potential fix then that would suggests the fans as KHA suggested. Was it loud recently and/or stored somewhere with a fair amount of dust?

It may be worth getting some compressed air, you can buy it for about a £5 in Maplin or sometimes in a store like Poundland. It's just like a can of deodorant but comes with a little straw to fix on the end (like WD40) allowing you to focus the pressure. If you shoot that on to the fans (preferably making them spin a little) then that should help - but depending on the amount of dust it will all end up inside which isn't ideal, but should still allow adequate cooling. As @sam3110‌ mentioned though, giving it a quick vacuum will soon fix any loose dust up though.

I've just googled for a quick PS3 disassembly and can see that the cooling system appears to use a standard fan, like the one you'll find in a generic desktop computer. Generally these can be short-lived as they're easily replaceable and pretty cheap - but they're surprisingly resilient if they just have a
    good old clean. I'm going to presume the power supply will also have a fan too - I can't tell whether the fans located towards the outside of the case, or towards in the inside of the case, thus how accessible it is. If possible though, giving that some love with compressed air should also help airflow.

After 6 years it's probably quite likely the fans would need a good clean though, so I think that would be the best port of call.

Regarding the hard drive, it appears the PS3 uses standard laptop style ones - 2.5" SATA. Without knowing anything regarding the software that the PS3 uses, I can't see why this couldn't be transferred across to a new one - although KHA suggests that it didn't work in his case. It uses a FAT32 format, so you could copy anything on there to your computer if needs be - using something like a external hard drive caddy. (Picked up for a £5 or so from ebay - like this one)
  • Options
    Play station repair people in Basildon very good. Used them twice on sons and his mates ps. See their website
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Thanks everyone. Not going to have time to look at it until the weekend but the YouTube videos look easy enough in terms of taking it apart to clean it. Thanks to KHA, Lucky Reds and Bromley Graham for your advice as well.
  • Options
    Taking it apart is easy. It's the rest that's a problem :-)
  • Options
    Try taking the turning off at the wall then whilst holding down the eject button turn it back on.

This is a vent cleansing and disc eject manoeuvre.

If that doesn't work, try holding the power button down for 10 seconds (after 5 you'll hear a bleep, keep it down you'll hear three bleeps, it'll power down but keep that finger down and it should restart and work. It's like a soft reset.
  • Options
    the yellow light normally means that its a motherboard failure, at least it did with mine, a homemade 'fix' is a little risky and probably only temporary but it worked a dream on mine i just followed the steps on this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdLYxfUAikQ basically the flux putty that sony use to solder wires onto the motherboard becomes loose over time and this remelts the putty so it resticks. As i say worked well on mine but the case did warp slightly but this was a risk worth taking for me as i cannot afford a repair and am getting a PS4 in september regardless. Hope this helps! :)
  • Options
    Crywank should sort it out
  • Options
    It's not ylod though?!
    Don't try any ylod fixes unless you get a yellow light