Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

RIP Phil Walker 1930-2014

My father Phil Walker passed away on Sunday afternoon. Dad was diagnosed with Parkinson's in 2001/2 and has been bravely battling against it since then.
Dad was a keen Charlton Supporter and would be known to many fans in the North-West Kent area. Indeed he helped to start the NWK branch (along with his brother Mick amongst others) and was its first secretary I believe.
Dad lived in Plumstead in his youth and saw both post-war Cup Finals (a feat which would have been lovely to repeat this year!) After moving to Gravesend in the 60s he stopped going to the Valley, but his interest was re-kindled in the Selhurst days, with Dad, Mick, my brother Andrew and I starting to attend many matches (including the Battle of the Bridge, my first Charlton away game, a day I'll never forgot!)
Dad and Mick were part of the volunteer group that helped get the Valley back in shape.
Dad made loads of great friends, and had great times in the supporters club. I was going through some old photos yesterday and never realised the amount of functions he was involved with (I have been in Australia from 1999 until recently) There are many pictures of him with past players - Ilic, Mendonca, Powell, Curbs, Kinsella to name a few, as well as other NWK members. It gave him a great deal of satisfaction to be a part of the supporters club and was a generous contributer of his time and energy, which sums up his generous and selfless nature.
Dad had to stop going to Charlton around 7 or so years ago through failing health. However he still would listen to the games on the radio when he could and maintained an active interest to the end.

A win tonight would put a smile on a few faces around here and a big one I'm sure on Phil's face.
Rest in Peace dad, I'm sure you'll be cheering Come on you reds tonight
Stewart Walker.

Comments

• Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP
    not sure if your uncle mick is the same mick walker I know. Cafc fan who I played darts with and against for a number of years. He used to drink in eltham but I last see him was in the newbridge club at blackheath standard.
  • Options
    So sorry to hear of the loss of your dad I hope he's up there and smiles down on his beloved Charlton and your family .My condolences
  • Options
    Great memories, RIP.
  • Options
    I learned of the sad news earlier today, Stewart and it goes without saying that my thoughts are with you, Andrew & Hazel at this difficult time.

I barely knew your uncle as I became involved with , what was then, NWK CASC in 1999. However, I served on the committee alongside your dear Dad for many years and we shared some happy times in the company of like minded friends.

Our annual Quiz Nights in Bexley were the highlights of our social calendar & your Mum & Dad always entered a competitive team, which initially included Mick's widow & family. With the Walker Brothers close to the heart of the NWK Supporter Group, a decision was made to name the winners' Cup " The Walker Trophy" as testament to the founder members. Sadly, the quiz had to be cancelled earlier this season but there are plans to resurrect the event next Spring when it will have an even greater significance.

As you rightly stated, a victory at The Valley tonight would be a fitting tribute to a dear gentleman who loved our Club and will be remembered fondly by many Addicks.

Sleep tight, Phil.
  • Options
    Great post Stewart. Hope we win tonight for you, and for your dad. RIP Phil and condolences to all your family.
  • Options
    RIP. Condolences to the yourself and the family.
  • Options
    Very sad news. Condolences to you and your family at this difficult time. RIP Phil.
  • Options
    Sad news RIP
  • Options
    RIP. Condolences to you and the family.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    Sorry for your loss. Condolences to you and your famly
  • Options
    My sincere condolences to you and your family.
  • Options
    best wishes to you and your family
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP Phil
  • Options
    Stewart, I heard the news from Don this morning. I'm so sorry to hear this news. Will you please pass on my condolences to your Mum and Andrew?

Best wishes, Dave.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear of your sad loss. RIP.
  • Options
    Condolences to the you and your family.

Thanks for sharing his story with us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RIP Phil
  • Options
    RIP.
  • Options
    Another great Charlton fan departs for the Valley in the sky....RIP and please accept our condolences.
  • Options
    RIP
  • Options
    RIP Phil, he will live on in your memorys and those you share with others about him.
  • Options
    That was a very true and poignant tribute to your Dad, Stewart.
    Having met him and his brother a short time after the formation of the Gravesend CASC, I became a good friend of his during our time in the CASC of Gravesend and then NWKent until his illness and subsequent move to Herne Bay. He has been and will continue to be sadly missed.
    My sincere condolences to Hazel and to you and the other family members. BobH.
  • Options
    RIP.
    Nicely written.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your loss. My grandad was diagnosed with this some years ago. A cruel disease. My thoughts with you and your family.
  • Options
    Condolences Stewart.
  • Options
    RIP Phil.