Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cornwall

"Cornish people will be granted minority status under European rules for the protection of national minorities"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-27132035

Why ?

Comments

• Options
    "In March this year, Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg announced the government would be investing £120,000 into the Cornish Language Partnership to promote and develop the language"?

What about Essex ---
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    The apple never falls far from the tree
  • Options
    PL54 said:

"Cornish people will be granted minority status under European rules for the protection of national minorities"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-27132035

Why ?

Why not? Not going to impact the rights of the rest of EU/UK.

£120k for language development is nothing in the scheme of things. The status attracts no extra financial benefits.

Good luck to them!
  • Options
    Life imitating art... did anyone see W1A?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I don't really understand Cornish nationalism. Both Cornwall and Cumbria were annexed by Anglo-Saxon Wessex before the Norman invasion and you don't hear Cumbria banging on about being its own nation. If you're born in Cornwall today, you are probably descended from the Anglo-Saxons and Normans who displaced the Cornish people and have no connection to pre-Anglo Saxon Cornwall in any way. Brittany has a far more legitimate claim to being a separate kingdom, I don't think it gets anywhere near the same level of protection/funding that Cornwall gets to maintain its 'heritage', probably because of French antagonism towards its own regions.
  • Options
    I'm on their side, please send pasties.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Too true. It is a little known fact that the whole of the population of Cornwall (.5m) is made up entirely of only two families.
  • Options
    sings Addams family song...
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

I don't really understand Cornish nationalism. Both Cornwall and Cumbria were annexed by Anglo-Saxon Wessex before the Norman invasion and you don't hear Cumbria banging on about being its own nation. If you're born in Cornwall today, you are probably descended from the Anglo-Saxons and Normans who displaced the Cornish people and have no connection to pre-Anglo Saxon Cornwall in any way.

Most waves of invasion, from Romans onwards, featured relatively small numbers. There's very little genetic difference between someone claiming to be Cornish and someone claiming descent from Angles, Saxons, Vikings or Jutes. There's even less chance of them being Norman. We're all to varying degrees descended from the Britons who lived here 2000 years ago unless our very recent ancestors have moved here from somewhere else. So, this Cornish thing is surely cultural?

And while there are plenty of Cumbrians and Northumbrians who would happily bang on about being a separate kingdom, I do think Cornish nationalism is a bit daft.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Cornish call tourists "emmetts" which is Cornish for 'ants'.
    Considering their income from tin mining is sort of on the wane, I say cut em off and let them get on with it ;O)