Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chris Powell on Talksport

Comments

• edited April 2014
    Huskaris said:

Sell Jenkinson and get to Championship?!?!

Surely selling Fox now would take us to the top of the Prem by that standard?

He did a lot with what he had and I think he will always be my favourite manager (don't really remember Curbs)

Leave it out , I thought Huskaris was one of the more maturely aged posters round here

how old are you Husky , or just a late starter on Charlton
  • Huskaris said:

He did a lot with what he had and I think he will always be my favourite manager (don't really remember Curbs)

Leave it out , I thought Huskaris was one of the more maturely aged posters round here

Exactly ! He must be about 12 as it was only a decade ago that curbs was here :)
  • Nug said:

Just a gut feel, but we were dead and buried after that Sheffield United game IMO. Anyway that shouldn't detract from this thread. He is a lovely chap, and I am happy he has come out of this undamaged

Dead and buried with four games in hand?

Yes. That was pretty much the worst I have ever seen charlton, we would be bottom by now if that momentum carried on.
  • edited April 2014

shine166 said:

Nug said:

Just a gut feel, but we were dead and buried after that Sheffield United game IMO. Anyway that shouldn't detract from this thread. He is a lovely chap, and I am happy he has come out of this undamaged

Yes. That was pretty much the worst I have ever seen charlton, we would be bottom by now if that momentum carried on.
    jesus christ, they're getting younger and younger. How old are you?! 4?! 5 years old?!
    Haha :) 31, I only just remember the days away from the valley and never saw a game under parky or reed But that's is 100% the worst I have ever felt leaving a charlton game.

Admittedly I lost interest for 3ish seasons before Powell took over, served my time though with a decade of season tickets starting in the cabin days
  • shine166 said:

Nug said:

Really? Not our doomed time under Pardew and Parkinson?
  • Huskaris said:

Or maybe his memory's been shot by over-indulgence in chemical recreation? God knows I've felt like it at times this season.
  • shine166 said:

Nug said:

Never see a game under either of those, lost all interest by that point... Uni and getting out the brain were more important :)

• Sponsored links:

• shine166 said:

shine166 said:

Nug said:

Never see a game under either of those, lost all interest by that point... Uni and getting out the brain were more important :)

Sorry, just seen your other response to the same question! Lucky you!
  • thenewbie said:

At the time and ever since I am and remain unsure whether we could/would have stayed up with CP in charge - BUT I must say that this has nothing to do with his undoubted charisma and talent, simply that as he alluded himself in the interview, things were tense between he and RD, their visions of the future did not align, rightly or wrongly wherever you place the blame/responsibility under that situation all the staff, on the field and off, are going to feel tense, the pressure will build, there may be some conflicting loyalties. Riga came in completely clean and with no ties to the players, the fans or the club, simply as a man with a pretty simply-defined job to do in the short term: keep us in the Championship. Powell would have been worrying about his own future and that of his staff/players beyond the next few months, Jose has not had to.

I would love to see CP come back, I would love to see Chris Powell managing Charlton in the Premiership, but at that time in that place, he was handicapped and unable to perform at his best.

shine166 said:

Nug said:

jesus christ, they're getting younger and younger. How old are you?! 4?! 5 years old?!
    Every defeat this season seems to be branded the worst ever! I don't think any have been even close to the top ten.

• thenewbie said:

At the time and ever since I am and remain unsure whether we could/would have stayed up with CP in charge - BUT I must say that this has nothing to do with his undoubted charisma and talent, simply that as he alluded himself in the interview, things were tense between he and RD, their visions of the future did not align, rightly or wrongly wherever you place the blame/responsibility under that situation all the staff, on the field and off, are going to feel tense, the pressure will build, there may be some conflicting loyalties. Riga came in completely clean and with no ties to the players, the fans or the club, simply as a man with a pretty simply-defined job to do in the short term: keep us in the Championship. Powell would have been worrying about his own future and that of his staff/players beyond the next few months, Jose has not had to.

I would love to see CP come back, I would love to see Chris Powell managing Charlton in the Premiership, but at that time in that place, he was handicapped and unable to perform at his best.

shine166 said:

Nug said:

Every defeat this season seems to be branded the worst ever! I don't think any have been even close to the top ten.

What is the worst game I have ever seen then and felt after a game ?, can you please let me know so I do not make a fool of myself again ? ;)

• Does anyone have a link to the interview.
  • Davo55 said:

What a top bloke Chris Powell is. 100% integrity and he bleeds Charlton. I am not blind to his shortcomings as a manager but in my view his strengths outweighed those and he was only ever going to get better. I truly hope he is back as our manager at some point in the future.

I hope its next year with a decent budget and RD apologises for sacking him

• A very interesting and quite moving interview. Chris still clearly has enormous affection for the club and its supporters. A pity that he couldn't, for legal reasons (ie confidentiality provisions in the settlement agreement), talk about the "football issues" and RD's future plans for the club which ultimately led to his dismissal.

I don't suppose the long awaited meeting with KM and others and/or for Roland's next video will be too illuminating on those issues either. We can only hope that the experience of the last few months has opened his eyes to just how ferociously tough this division is and what is needed to compete effectively in it.
  • edited April 2014
    Meh !
    He's okay for a spud.

[Edit: Sorry, forgot the ;-) ].
  • Need you down at the game on Tuesday MOG - I'll call you.
  • As much as I want Powell back as manager it'll never happen under RD. We'll have to wait until the club is sold again for that to happen.
  • Sponsored links:

• Does anyone have a link to the interview?
  • edited April 2014
    Kessell7 said:

Does anyone have a link to the interview?

Kap10 said:

Does anyone have a link to the interview.

http://talksport.com/radio/listen-again/1398330000#

Choose 11:00-11:30

• Thanks
  • Kap10 said:

What's Kessell7 got that I haven't got?

• He was at the bottom of the page, so they finished reading then replied to the nearest one?
  • Kap10 said:

Kap10 said:

What's Kessell7 got that I haven't got?

Girth?
  • As much as I want Powell back as manager it'll never happen under RD. We'll have to wait until the club is sold again for that to happen.

Should this comment be for the joke thread.
    Nice man everyone knows but only some have the knowledge that he was a shit manager....now look what you made me do! Comment on bloody chris powell again. We are not safe yet but if he had stayed there was only way we were going and it wasn't essex.

• edited April 2014

As much as I want Powell back as manager it'll never happen under RD. We'll have to wait until the club is sold again for that to happen.

Should this comment be for the joke thread.
    Nice man everyone knows but only some have the knowledge that he was a shit manager....now look what you made me do! Comment on bloody chris powell again. We are not safe yet but if he had stayed there was only way we were going and it wasn't essex.

I think you just beat me to it with the joke comment. Shit manager? Do one.
  • Just heard it from the link. CP is a great Charlton man and we must get him back with us again as I am convinced he can take the club to the highest levels. I also still want to be around when this happens.