Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Support Charlton but not from London or Kent.

...and what made you an addicks fan?

Im from Leicester originally and all of my family are Leicester fans. I moved to Woolwich in my 20s and Charlton were the local team. I was missing live footy badly and went to a few Charlton games as a neutral to get a fix, only to keep going back! Now here I am years later as a season ticket holder.

Any other Charlton fans with no birthplace (or even family) connections to get you started??

Comments

• Options
    Used to live in Lincolnshire, the Manager of a Coral betting shop in Spalding was a Charlton fan
  • Options
    My late father was born in Isleworth in middlesex, moved to Earith as a youngster and started following Charlton but didn't actually attend any games until his mum and dad had moved again, this time to Exning in Suffolk. I was born and bred in Newmarket in Suffolk, but there was no way I was gonna support anyone else.
  • Options
    You're all nuts
  • Options

As a child I used to enjoy trainspotting whilst wearing different Anoraks. A friendly Millwall friend pointed me in the right direction

very funny,wish I had thought of that

• Options
    From Sussex, started coming as under 11's football team 12 years ago and was a United fan as I received the kit every birthday from family who support them, with the other side of my family supporting Brighton or Villa. It soon became very clear that I was more interested in Charlton Athletic. Still get up to 5-10 games a season and can safely say I do not regret my decision, think I've transformed my Dad also considering he chooses a trip up to the Valley over the AMEX.
  • Options

As a child I used to enjoy trainspotting whilst wearing different Anoraks. A friendly Millwall friend pointed me in the right direction

Why lie?

There's no such thing as a friendly millwall fan.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Because my all time sporting hero Ralph Milne used to play for us. I became obsessed when he joined.
  • Options
    Born and bred in Sevenoaks and my father was a supporter from pre-war. He took me to my first Charlton game in 1951 and I have been hooked ever since. Now travel with my wife, who is now hooked, to every home game from Clacton-on-Sea.
  • Options

moved to Earith as a youngster.

LMFAO.
  • Options
    Born and bred in Bradford, now live on the outskirts of Colchester, but in the meantime I spent eight years living in Harvey Gardens, not one minute's walk from the ground. Am a sport nut, so even when we were in the Premiership, so I could rarely get a ticket for a one-off match, I used to love the buzz of the crowd and would often take the dog for a walk when everyone was going in (although it was a nightmare trying to get her past the doughnut van!)
  • Options
    Born in Eltham, married an Essex girl, absolutely no chance of getting her to cross the river, now live in Canvey Island.

Amazing how many Charlton fans live over here amongst the hamsters.
  • Options
    I too now represent the Essex branch of the supporters club, living in Braintree. Before we met my wife was Man U fsn living inside the M25 and never had been to old trafford, the day we married she became a Charlton fan!
  • Options
    I lived in Essex for nearly 18 years are moving away from Leicester, in sunny Frinton-on-sea. It goes without saying that there aren't many Charlton fans down there.
  • Options

I too now represent the Essex branch of the supporters club, living in Braintree. Before we met my wife was Man U fsn living inside the M25 and never had been to old trafford, the day we married she became a Charlton fan!

I'd like to know a bit more about the Essex branch, do you have regular meetings etc.?
  • Options
    grew up in shrewsbury,first match at the valley was when the shrews beat us 4-2....i was in with the town fans aswell.my older brother worked at the Q E military hospital and as shrews fans we went together to that match.this would've been 83 ish.from then on,whenever i stopped with him i would walk down to the valley to take a game in.totally and utterly got hooked with all things charlton.the nearest i've lived to london is heckington south lincs,where i am now.
    I go to most matches from llanfairfechan(north wales coast),got a season ticket when i moved back to shropshire,and go as much as work allows from Heckington......strange thing is my daughters got the bug aswell ........I even speak with a bit of south london accent not put on !!!
    I totally and utterly blame my big bruv for the crap life that has come upon me and my girl :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

grew up in shrewsbury,first match at the valley was when the shrews beat us 4-2....i was in with the town fans aswell.my older brother worked at the Q E military hospital and as shrews fans we went together to that match.this would've been 83 ish.from then on,whenever i stopped with him i would walk down to the valley to take a game in.totally and utterly got hooked with all things charlton.the nearest i've lived to london is heckington south lincs,where i am now.
    I go to most matches from llanfairfechan(north wales coast),got a season ticket when i moved back to shropshire,and go as much as work allows from Heckington......strange thing is my daughters got the bug aswell ........I even speak with a bit of south london accent not put on !!!
    I totally and utterly blame my big bruv for the crap life that has come upon me and my girl :)

That 4-2 defeat v Shrewsbury was April 1984. Boiling hot day, only 3,000 crowd, nothing to play for, Charlton totally out-played and I came straight from Heathrow to watch after a flight from. Port of Spain. Flanagan and a cracking Aizlewood volley for our consolation goals.
  • Options

Born and bred in Sevenoaks and my father was a supporter from pre-war.

Blimey, and there was me thinking Sevenoaks is in Kent..............
  • Options
    Born in Manchester in a family of Man. Utd fans but moved south to university before marrying a Dartfordian. Whilst 'courting' early on, he took me to my first CAFC game in the era of playing at Selhurst! Got hooked and never looked back.
    My family 'up north' can not understand the attraction! Glory hunters.
  • Options
    Brought up in Herts and still live there now (after a spell in NYC).

No family link to SE London whatsoever.

My Dad felt sorry for them as a 6 year old in the 1950s when an evening paper (which showed London clubs in bold) had a league table with Charlton bottom.
  • Options
    Born and raised in Welwyn Garden City, family all from SE London and was taken to the Valley as a naive Liverpool fan in my early teens, it was like putting on a comfy pair of Electric Blue Adidas Gazelles and I have never for one moment regretted it.
  • Options
    Born in Woolwich, so, errr,,,,, carry on.
  • Options
    Where are all the Sheffield born and bred Charlton fans that OP was banging on about.
  • Options
    From, and residing in, Chelmsford. Dad went to school with a huge Charlton fan and went to games with him... Started going again when we were old enough to enjoy it, and it was more fun than seeing Chelmsford city, Colchester, Southend or Ipswich who are pretty close. None of us liked wet spam