Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Article: Trying to square up the Circle of Discontent

Comments

• Options
    Kap10 said:

The club doesn't need to wait for planning permission to do the work on the pitch. It's perfectly legal to proceed without it - even if it was a structure that is likely to affect others, which it isn't - in anticipation of the decision and almost impossible to see such an application being turned down. It makes no difference, legally, if the work has already been done by the time it is approved and it's likely to be approved by officers under delegated powers rather than at committee, I would think.

But why is there a need for a submission, thats what I don't understand. Additional admin cost for both club and council.
    Where are they putting the boiler and the pump room? If they're having to build a new structure to house them, then that'd be why, I assume.
  • Options
    When Riga came in, I thought he would probably be a yes man and watched him with a critical eye. He quickly demonstrated he wasn't by not picking RDs players. I like him as many other fans seem to do and whether it was good judgment or luck, getting him in has probably saved us. A content Powell, who was properly supported would have saved us too.

When the curtain falls on the season, it will be time to look at next season. As I look up the transfer activity since RD took over, I am worried. Powell knew what he was doing in terms of transfers and the only RD player he seemed keen on was Astrid. Losing Kermogant especially, was dangerous and short sighted, and if, as it looks likely, it hasn't cost us....is that through brilliant brinkmanship judgement or good fortune?

My suspicion is that RDs advisers don't undertstand the Championship. This is based on the evidence I have seen to date. I really hope they prove me wrong in the summer but I won't be expecting too much. Maybe he should employ Powell as an adviser. At the very least, I would love to know who is advising RD and what their qualifications to do so are.
  • Options
    Some good points here. However, I think it's getting too late in the day to be sitting on the fence to "wait and see". We need points and we're running out of games to get them.

And I know I'm being biased as I still haven't warmed to either JT or RD but I'm not impressed to date.

If we go down, my pained heart will forever blame them! :/
  • Options
    What's poor JT done
  • Options

What's poor JT done

Turned his ankle over v Athletico Madrid and a big doubt at Anfield this weekend :-0
  • Options
    Ha ha * JR
  • Options
    3blokes said:

tend to agree with you AFKA but since the departure of CP it just doesn't seem like "my charlton" anymore, although I would find it difficult to describe what that was. I shall continue my level of support for the rest of the season and be at Blackpool. As for the future I'll wait and see, but it won't be the same. To me it seems that the basic dna if what is charlton has changed and that makes me sad.

Your article is a good one Dan, but Lancashire Lad sums pretty much exactly how I feel at the moment, and much better than I have been able to.
    The thing is I really don't want to feel the way I'm feeling at the moment about things at the club, and I am just waiting to get that feeling back of being part of it all again. Without hashing over it again I guess under CP it felt like we were a unit again with a shared goal, having someone at the helm who understood what it meant to be Charlton.
    That "perception", whether real or imagined, felt right, and to be honest it has been surprisingly tough to let go of it. I feel almost disloyal when I try to see positives in the moving on process.
    By the way, I am not writing this to persuade others that this view is right, because I am not at all sure it actually is, but I am just trying to explain how I and maybe one or two others might be feeling in our struggle to "move on."
    Please feel free to now tell me to move on, maybe it's the only way I'll learn :-)

I wouldnt tell you to move on, as its exactly how i feel. Roll on the summer and see what lies ahead.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

3blokes said:

tend to agree with you AFKA but since the departure of CP it just doesn't seem like "my charlton" anymore, although I would find it difficult to describe what that was. I shall continue my level of support for the rest of the season and be at Blackpool. As for the future I'll wait and see, but it won't be the same. To me it seems that the basic dna if what is charlton has changed and that makes me sad.

Your article is a good one Dan, but Lancashire Lad sums pretty much exactly how I feel at the moment, and much better than I have been able to.
    The thing is I really don't want to feel the way I'm feeling at the moment about things at the club, and I am just waiting to get that feeling back of being part of it all again. Without hashing over it again I guess under CP it felt like we were a unit again with a shared goal, having someone at the helm who understood what it meant to be Charlton.
    That "perception", whether real or imagined, felt right, and to be honest it has been surprisingly tough to let go of it. I feel almost disloyal when I try to see positives in the moving on process.
    By the way, I am not writing this to persuade others that this view is right, because I am not at all sure it actually is, but I am just trying to explain how I and maybe one or two others might be feeling in our struggle to "move on."
    Please feel free to now tell me to move on, maybe it's the only way I'll learn :-)

I wouldnt tell you to move on, as its exactly how i feel. Roll on the summer and see what lies ahead.
    That sums it up for me very nicely, thank you both.
  • Options
    I am not trying to re-open the debate of Powell v Riga, but readers may find the following statistics interesting:

Under Powell this season, we played 30 league games, gaining 27 point at an average of 0.9 per game. Over our current 43 games at 0.9, we would be in the bottom two places.

Under Jose, the same stats are; 13 league games, 18 points at an average of 1.38 points per game. Over 43 games that would have put us 12th in the league.
  • Options
    T.C.E said:

Curb_It said:

3blokes said:

And me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PeterGage said:

I am not trying to re-open the debate of Powell v Riga, but readers may find the following statistics interesting:

Under Powell this season, we played 30 league games, gaining 27 point at an average of 0.9 per game. Over our current 43 games at 0.9, we would be in the bottom two places.

Under Jose, the same stats are; 13 league games, 18 points at an average of 1.38 points per game. Over 43 games that would have put us 12th in the league.

Fair point, well made.

• Options

PeterGage said:

Fair point, well made.

I too feel we are better for having Riga. I like CP and thing he did a great job. This season, circumstances got in the way and have hampered his chances of keeping us up. I think he was emotionally drained by all that had gone on. He did what most people do, stuck with his principles and methods that have got results in the past, and fundamentally there is nothing wrong with those methods. However, we just ran out of steam doing it his way.

It is the little things I have been impressed with re: JR, early subs, more positive play etc.

I understand if people want to wait and judge RD, but anyone quizzing Riga is a little surprising given the above record. Yeah we played badly in a couple of games, but I feel he's maximising the squad he has.
  • Options

When Riga came in, I thought he would probably be a yes man and watched him with a critical eye. He quickly demonstrated he wasn't by not picking RDs players. I like him as many other fans seem to do and whether it was good judgment or luck, getting him in has probably saved us. A content Powell, who was properly supported would have saved us too.

When the curtain falls on the season, it will be time to look at next season. As I look up the transfer activity since RD took over, I am worried. Powell knew what he was doing in terms of transfers and the only RD player he seemed keen on was Astrid. Losing Kermogant especially, was dangerous and short sighted, and if, as it looks likely, it hasn't cost us....is that through brilliant brinkmanship judgement or good fortune?

My suspicion is that RDs advisers don't undertstand the Championship. This is based on the evidence I have seen to date. I really hope they prove me wrong in the summer but I won't be expecting too much. Maybe he should employ Powell as an adviser. At the very least, I would love to know who is advising RD and what their qualifications to do so are.

I think you may be doing JR, RD or both a disservice there Muttley, I wouldn't argue that perhaps whoever suggested/signed off on the signings over January may have underestimated the league but it is equally probable that in the circumstances we were in we were unlikely to be making excellent signings, regardless of the manager - Powell's major successes in transfers have come during summer when he managed to totally rebuild the squad from the bottom up, not trying to find quick fixes. Kermorgant's departure I will grant you as an error regardless of where we finish this season, but the subtext seems to me that Yann was gambling on his own popularity and reputation and RD called his bluff in an attempt to quell potential player power problems - the fact Wiggins and Jackson both signed up under the new regime with very little rigmarole suggests the squad is not exactly dissatisfied with current events.

This is all debatable of course but I still maintain that even if RD and his advisors DID underestimate the league, and get/got away with it, they are very unlikely to do so twice. We shall wait and see of course but I am making no judgments on 'evidence so far' - I would not bet on any chairman stepping in with a flawless record under the same circumstances.
  • Options
    I wouldn't want to do Riga down. I have been very impressed with him and am equally grateful. Circumstances meant that he was on a bit of a hiding to nothing. Had Chrissy not been sacked- he may not have kept us up under those circumstances - my point was that he would have kept us up if he had a bit of backing and was happy with things. He wasn't and it was probably best he left - I think his loyalty to us kept him in the job. So I refuse to look at things in the simplistic terms that Riga has done a great job - which he has - so we should be pleased Powell has gone. My overwhelming feeling is one of regret. When Chrissy was backed- he came up trumps - I would like to have seen what he could come up with if he was backed again.

My observations about RD are based on the evidence I have. My concerns could prove unfounded. I am eagerly waiting for the new evidence the summer will bring and see how that changes things. I accept it could. I have just stated what they are. You agree that kermogant leaving was an error. Well to me it was a pretty big error! If we have escaped the immediate consequences of that error - I would say that luck has paid its part. Had Sordell missed the chance to pull a goal back on Monday, we would probably be in the bottom three now and teh mood would be much different.

I think the most memorable quote from any of us in recent months was from Airman when he said it would be the most needless relegation in our history. That really resonates with me. It wasn't easy but there were things we could have done to make survival more likely. Selling two of our best players wasn't one of those things. With the money we have recieved for those players - we have purchased a player who can't get in a sniff of a chance in a team who are the lowest scorers in the league! He is young and could yet prove to be an asset. But I have commented on what I have seen so far - not woulds or coulds. I am worried. My fears may be unfounded, but with the evidence I have scrutinised since RD took over, I am worried. But, I do think we will stay up this season which is something I suppose.

• Options
    I still don't think going down or staying up would have been made any more 'needless' just because it isn't/wasn't CP at the helm. I for one would certainly not have just shrugged relegation off as no big deal even if Powell had signed a shiny new contract, going down would be a failure on the part of whoever was the manager, pure and simple. And while it is academic, the real error in the Kermorgant case was the PR side, not the business aspect to me.
  • Options
    rikofold said:

PeterGage said:

Fair point, well made.

It's not the full picture though by any means. I've said before, Riga's early fixture list was kind, lots of out of form teams,
    You mean like Bournemouth, Burnley, Derby and Reading?

Throw in Millwall away and two midweek away fixtures into that, then I would hardly call that an easy start to his regime.

• Options
    rikofold said:

PeterGage said:

Fair point, well made.

It's not the full picture though by any means. I've said before, Riga's early fixture list was kind, lots of out of form teams, and he was able to build confidence which has carried him through despite the physical demands of two games a week. When he's come up against significantly better teams we've not been remotely competitive. It's a bit like Powell's run at the end of last season, taking advantage of who we had to play. The season isn't a linear equation, there are too many variables involved and points per game mean nothing - you need the runs at the right time.

(I like Riga, though, glad he's here).
    Load of nonsense.

• Options
    We obviously don't know what RD's plans are, but judging by the plans put forward for the relaying of the pitch he's not scrimped on it. State of the art everything. This doesn't look like someone who's using us as a feeder club or using us as cheap option. I think the signs look good for the future. Let's hope he's learned his lessons from the last transfer window.
  • Options
    To me all this debate about SCP and JR is a bit like a child whose parents are divorced and there's a step father who's great but the child thinks that to think he's great would somehow betray the loved biological father...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

To me all this debate about SCP and JR is a bit like a child whose parents are divorced and there's a step father who's great but the child thinks that to think he's great would somehow betray the loved biological father...

More like ,no matter how good you are mr stepdad you aren't my 'real' father, who I have total unconditional love for, doesn't mean i don't love you mr stepdaddy but you wont ever replace the real deal
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

Who has time to do this...? ;)

Numbers make my head hurt but well done.
  • Options

PeterGage said:

Fair point, well made.

Are you David Snr PA?? ;-)
  • Options

T.C.E said:

Curb_It said:

3blokes said:

And me.
    Thanks to all of you here. I'm hoping summer will work some magic because, try as I may, It has all lost its sparkle for me.
  • Options
    dickplumb said:

rikofold said:

PeterGage said:

Fair point, well made.

It's not the full picture though by any means. I've said before, Riga's early fixture list was kind, lots of out of form teams, and he was able to build confidence which has carried him through despite the physical demands of two games a week. When he's come up against significantly better teams we've not been remotely competitive. It's a bit like Powell's run at the end of last season, taking advantage of who we had to play. The season isn't a linear equation, there are too many variables involved and points per game mean nothing - you need the runs at the right time.

(I like Riga, though, glad he's here).
    Load of nonsense.

Well I thought it was a good follow up to Peter Gage's point, but I forgot the tribal divides which mean people cannot be allowed to be rational and even handed and weigh up arguments.
  • Options

You mean the biological children would find it hard if not impossible to be objective? In this analogy is Kermorgant one of the siblings? :-)

• Options
    I can't believe some of the analogies on here ref Powell and feelings

I can sort of get it from weegie and SA , curb it , fanny , Sadie etc

But not from you boys come on now enoughs enough
  • Options
    C'mon NLA get in touch with your feminine side.
  • Options

I can't believe some of the analogies on here ref Powell and feelings

I can sort of get it from weegie and SA , curb it , fanny , Sadie etc

But not from you boys come on now enoughs enough

Powell is held dearly in fans hearts. No matter how long time passes, he will still always be looked back on and appreciated. There's nothing wrong with that dude.

:)
  • Options
    Meanwhile, Roland Duchâtelet already owns six professional football clubs in various European leagues . On 5 and 6 July , he wants his clubs together in Sint - Truiden for a tournament . " For the network teams Duchâtelet sir , this is a chance to get to know each other better," says co-organizer Peter Onkelinx in the Newspaper.

Duchâtelet is no longer directly to the helm at Sint -Truiden , but he certainly still have word to say in the Limburg club . Using his wife Marieke Höfte

This summer, there must be at Stayen a new stand and stand to dedicate in the wealthy businessman tournament in mind among six clubs : Standard , Sint - Truiden , Ujpest ( Hungary ) , Charlton ( English second division ) , Carl Zeiss Jena (German fourth class ) and Alcorcon (Spanish second division ) .

"This is a great initiative ," said Peter Onkelinx , who is site manager at Stayen . Besides a football sa fact Stayen includes a shopping mall , a hotel, apartments and numerous other facilities .

"On Saturday the teams will except Sint -Truiden , with each race finishing 45 minutes . Winner will play a charity match on Sunday against Sint - Truiden . "

" For the network teams of Mr. Duchâtelet is the opportunity to get to know each other better. It is also ideal to give them some . Supporters together , we are still looking for some business partners and possibly TV stations to broadcast the matches from . "

What about the sale of Standard ?
    What the tournament means to the position of Duchâtelet at Standard is unclear . He had announced last summer to sell after the fans had turned against him Liege club but now Duchâtelet already preparing for the upcoming season of Standard