Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tony Joe White

Going to see him at the Union Chapel on the 4th of July. Can't wait as he's brilliant live.

Anyone else here going?

Comments

• Who?

Absolutely no idea.
  • It'll be a rainy night in Georgia before I go.
  • Can't believe you don't know of him.

He wrote amongst other songs Polk Salad Annie and as mentioned above Rainy night in Georgia.

Great performer live.
  • iainment said:

Can't believe you don't know of him.

He wrote amongst other songs Polk Salad Annie and as mentioned above Rainy night in Georgia.

Great performer live.

Well I know those songs, love Elvis' version of the former. But he's hardly a household name is he? Why try to be clever?
  • How is this being clever? Just wanted to know if anyone here's going to see him. He tours regularly here, he has a good following and I know there are some on here who like his type of music.
    Do we only have to mention artists you've heard of?
  • iainment said:

How is this being clever? Just wanted to know if anyone here's going to see him. He tours regularly here, he has a good following and I know there are some on here who like his type of music.

Of course not, I like his type of music now I know who you are talking about. A simple link would have saved all the needless posts.
  • iainment said:

Going to see him at the Union Chapel on the 4th of July. Can't wait as he's brilliant live.

Anyone else here going?

Enjoy TJW - if he was playing anywhere close to me I would go and see him. Love the whole Country Soul scene.

On a side note I went to see the fabulous Swedish/Afro/Psychadelic ensemble Goat last night - brilliant live band although they looked a little knackered last night, which isnt suprising given how much energy they put into their shows. Next up Loop...
  • Like Oakster, would love to see him live. He was a favourite of mine years ago. I had fallen for Creedence Clearwater Revival and their "swamp rock" imagery of the Deep South. I was bewildered to discover that they were from California, but never mind, you mugs, here's the real thing, Tony-Joe White.
    I hadn't heard of him for ages, but he popped up during the last series of Later, and it crackled with atmosphere. Enjoy!
  • Sponsored links:

• buckshee said:

Riviera said:

iainment said:

How is this being clever? Just wanted to know if anyone here's going to see him. He tours regularly here, he has a good following and I know there are some on here who like his type of music.

Of course not, I like his type of music now I know who you are talking about. A simple link would have saved all the needless posts.
    It's also needless for you to be such a massive helmet chirpy but you keep on doing so.
    Old Chirps/Riviera needs to change his user name again, how about 'The Bell' ;o)
  • I get the same reaction when I mention I'm a huge fan of Todd Rundgren. Mostly I get, 'Who?' Occasionally I get, 'Oh, I love Todd Rundgren too. He's immensely loud.' Then I know exactly where this is going. 'Intensity In 10 Cities, that was a great album.' 'Er no, mate. THAT'S TED F*CKING NUGENT. Bit bloody different. Oh, forget it. What? No, you f*ck off!'
  • Will have to give my two Country got Soul compilations a spin (or digital equiv) today.
  • Great albums, Henry. Has the first one got I Hate Hate by Razzy on it?
  • Riviera said:

iainment said:

I have this really clever system on my computer called Google - it works everso well whenever I am unsure about a reference on a forum. You just type in the name and lo and behold it almost instantly comes up with information about the person, place etc. It's marvellous.

You should see if you can get hold of it Chirps... ;-)
  • I love "Polk Salad Annie". One of the great Southern singer / songwriters. See also Dan Penn and Spooner Oldham.
  • hawksmoor said:

Great albums, Henry. Has the first one got I Hate Hate by Razzy on it?

Will have to check but it's certainly on one or the other.
  • I love "Polk Salad Annie". One of the great Southern singer / songwriters. See also Dan Penn and Spooner Oldham.

I love "Polk Salad Annie". One of the great Southern singer / songwriters. See also Dan Penn and Spooner Oldham.

Superb live version of im your puppet they did on the old grey whistle test many moons ago
  • I hesitate to say we just got tickets to see Blithe Spirit with Angela Lansbury - my partner being a massive fan of Murder She Wrote. I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to that. Although the kudos I have for getting the tickets is huge.
  • Cool show
  • Sponsored links:

• I enjoyed it! Danny and the Champions of the World were very good too.
  • What was his set list? Got several of his albums and they get regular airings.
  • Riviera said:

iainment said:

Can't believe you don't know of him.

Great performer live.

Well I know those songs, love Elvis' version of the former. But he's hardly a household name is he? Why try to be clever?
    That's a bit harsh.
  • Riviera said:

iainment said:

Or, you could have looked him up yourself.
  • Riviera said:

iainment said:

I have this really clever system on my computer called Google - it works everso well whenever I am unsure about a reference on a forum. You just type in the name and lo and behold it almost instantly comes up with information about the person, place etc. It's marvellous.

You should see if you can get hold of it Chirps... ;-)
    Other search engines are available.

What do you mean, we don't have the same impartiality requirements as the BBC?
  • iainment said:

I hesitate to say we just got tickets to see Blithe Spirit with Angela Lansbury - my partner being a massive fan of Murder She Wrote. I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to that. Although the kudos I have for getting the tickets is huge.

Really fun piece by Noël Coward. I saw it back in the '80s with Joanna Lumley in it.