Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Other Miserable Seasons

13»

Comments

• Options
    I don't know whether Poyet is going to stay or go.

BUT as Charlton we have had our most successful period after a growth not caused by spending wildly but by backing a manager and stability from 95 - 98 got into the premier league and then pushed on.

When have we ever been a club that spent big for success.

I am at the point of saying 'You are supporting the wrong club@ if high spending is your expectation.....
  • Options
    Growth from the youth team and the right signings is the right way to grow; I am not excited by it but it makes sense.
  • Options
    I have it on good authority that Poyet is definitely off. I am told that the mood in the club is very bad under the new regime with players seemingly disengaged. Glad that does not come across that way on match days, especially Poyet who continues to be a shining star. Such a tragedy that we are losing him so quickly, for no money and with such dross left in the team. Harriott's, Green, Pritchard, Cousins likely to be out mainstay midfield next year once Poyet, Ajderevic leave. Add to the likely leavers list Obika, Hamer, Solly (knees crocked), Morrison etc and we have a shocking League 2 standard squad left. Anyone confident that a whole bunch of Poyets are queuing up to play for the first team. Frightening!
  • Options
    meldrew, do you also have it on good authority that we shall not be signing anyone in the summer ?
  • Options
    getting the thread back on track, I think this season is certainly up there as one of the worst I can remember. No back to back league wins all season and the lack of goal-scoring really has made it miserable for me. Of course it hasn't ended yet, but relegation may just about confirm it as my worst, due to the 'unnecessary' nature of it.... at the moment though it doesn't quite rank as high as 08/09, which was the most embarrassing relegation 'fight' ever
  • Options
    Covered end - yes I do. It comes from Roland himself that he does not envisage a crop of big money signings and that youth/academy is our intended way forward. Bizarrely, he seemed to contradict that 'strategy' by the fantastic big money, long term contract singing of Polish Peter who, from my other inside sources, is simply shocking and not good enough for our under 21's, left alone our inept first team front line. Any other questions?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Hopefully, we will be bringing through the youth, supplemented with good out of contract players.

No one in The Championship makes big money signings.
  • Options
    Poyet is a South London boy and Crystal Palace are a successful mid table Premiership club. I can see Poyet going there for free at the end of the season.
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:

I have it on good authority that Poyet is definitely off. I am told that the mood in the club is very bad under the new regime with players seemingly disengaged. Glad that does not come across that way on match days, especially Poyet who continues to be a shining star. Such a tragedy that we are losing him so quickly, for no money and with such dross left in the team. Harriott's, Green, Pritchard, Cousins likely to be out mainstay midfield next year once Poyet, Ajderevic leave. Add to the likely leavers list Obika, Hamer, Solly (knees crocked), Morrison etc and we have a shocking League 2 standard squad left. Anyone confident that a whole bunch of Poyets are queuing up to play for the first team. Frightening!

It is terrible that the previous regieme did not pin down a contract and that the current owners did not do it either. Getting rid of Stephens and playing Poyet showed the world what a great player he was. It is notable that Scott Parker had a contract before playing in the first team. I don't think the new owners have much of a clue and have a high opinion of their capabilities. That is not a good combination.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited April 2014
    For me the relegations season under Pardew / Parkinson did not feel so bad as the club had lost money. There was hope that somewhere over the horizon there would be a decent take over / new investment to lift the club. This season feels worse as the takeover has happened and IMO has been rubbish. (Yeah right, better than admin marginally, lucky not to go out of business, contracts offered to player etc, etc).

I am not impressed so far about the competency of the current owners. The only hope is that the strategy and turn around over the end of the season improves massively on what has gone so far. It feels like a long shot as the current owners and management seem to think that they are a lot cleverer then they actually are.

I don't see the current owner / management team easily admitting that they are wrong or being able to admit that the strategy could be mistaken and adjust accordingly. The standard of the championship is a lot higher than they anticipated.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Solly won't go, Wiggins won't go, Obika can go very unimpressed,
  • Options
    Back to the title of the thread, I think this season has every potential to be the worst. Millwall stay up, Ricardo Fuller sends us down, Orient join Brentford in the championship via the play offs and we are London's joke team with our big games next season being the Gills and effing Crawley. Depressed!
  • Options
    Noss said:

79/80 it was obvious before a ball was kicked that we would be relegated and it really was never in doubt. An away record of 0 wins 4 draws 17 defeats. The lowest point was losing 1-0 at home to also relegated Fulham with Les Berry scoring an own goal.

The stand out memory of that season for me was the FA Cup game at Wrexham. We took around 400, not too shoddy at the time. One down at half time playing okay, I remember saying to my mate Martin that we could get a draw and take it to a replay. Final score: 0-6. Went back a couple of weeks later in the league. Two nil up, lost 2-3.

Oh, and going to Luton on a Friday night just before Christmas. Fell over three times due to a lethal alcohol/snow mixture, bruised everywhere. 0-3 if I recall correctly.
    That Luton game...I have never been so cold as I was that night, was there a problem with the floodlights that night to?
  • Options

Back to the title of the thread, I think this season has every potential to be the worst. Millwall stay up, Ricardo Fuller sends us down, Orient join Brentford in the championship via the play offs and we are London's joke team with our big games next season being the Gills and effing Crawley. Depressed!

But it hasn't yet . In both 79/80 and 08/09 we were pretty much already down at this stage. Especially 08/09 how we went from the Premier League to League One was depressing.

Before comparing it to those 2 ,I will wait to see what the situation is at the end of the season . Currently this year reminds me of 82/83 the year of Simonsen when we needed to win against Bolton on the last day . Like tht season there have been some ups this season such as the Cup run ,but it has been in the context of a relegation struggle.

I am marginally too young to remember 71/72 although the spooky comparison with a final day loss in Blackpool is not lost on me.

• Options
    79/80 for me. It was so bad that I couldn't motivate myself to get to the games on time (an extra pre-match pint being more enticing). An average home gate of just over 7,000 didn't help much either. Apart from our atrocious league form (including, as someone mentioned above, only 4 points away), we got tonked 6-0 at Wrexham in the F.A. Cup.

The only silver lining was Mike Bailey reassuming control as manager towards the end of the season and we all know what happened the following season.
  • Options
    2008/09 was diabolical and went on forever
  • Options
    Too many to mention.