Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Monitoring the RD network

Comments

• Options
    I wonder if the phrase "advertising agencies" is the most posted on the forum.....
  • Options

I wonder if the phrase "advertising agencies" is the most posted on the forum.....

I think words like 'worried', 'concerned' and 'suicidal' beat it.

• Options
    ross1 said:

Did he not say that he leaves each club to manage on their own, and expects each club to pay for itself? That would seem to me, that as long as the club is doing OK on the pitch and financially, he will leave alone.

He has said that in very vague terms in the two videos. It leaves unanswered the question about whether he expects each club to break even, and if so, over what period. The problem is that virtually no club in the Championship is able to break even. To do that next season we would have to slash our wage bill by another 4-5m.

• Options

It cannot hold a candle to "Move On"...

• Options
    edited May 2014
    byl said:

thanks Prague

where i really think some posters on this forum are wrong, is that RD wants to "micromanage" everything; Picking the team, decideng on transfers, run the clubs on a daily basis etcetera. He doesn't do that in his companies and he doesn't do that in is football clubs.

The "bigger idea" of having this football clubs work together is of course his, and the money that flows to them is also mostly his, but to think he picks the team, give daily/weekly instructions to the management and his coaching staffs at those clubs etcetera, those ideas are somewhat ridiculous imo; I mean after all RD is human, and also for him there are also only 24h in a day and 7 days in a week, and i'm quite sure that even RD needs sleep :)

So in short he will have a say on the big investments because after all it is his money he needs to put into that, but him being on top of every little detail and decision to be made, that is just impossible for him. A good business man knows how to delegate tasks and jobs to people he hired and pays to do those jobs, i'm pretty sure RD will be no different in that regard.

Chris Powell and Alex Dyer have suggested otherwise. I know who I believe.
  • Options
    Extracts of an interview taken from Standard Liege Blog site

http://zone-rouche.be/made-in-zr/made-in-zr/roderick-duchatelet-nous-travaillons-de-maniere-etroite-avec-le-standard.html

The interview is with Roderick Duchatelet the current president of Újpest and son of our President

Can you introduce yourself to our readers?

I'm Roderick, 41. A father of two children. President of Újpest FC since November 2011.

How long have you been football.

I bought a minority stake in Beerschot 2004 I was a member of the Board for 6 years

Why did you buy Ujpest?

Újpest FC is a club with a great history. The club has won 20 times and the Hungarian championship 8 times the Hungarian Cup. He found himself at a given moment in financial difficulties, then there was an opportunity for a foreign investor. Hungarian football is growing rapidly, with talented players and offers many possibilities. I have no doubt that we can return the club to its most glorious hours.

If not Ujpest, would you have invested in any other club?

There was no discussion with another club. It was a great opportunity that came on the table and I took it.

Are you satisfied with the last season?

It was a special and rather hard season. Not only on the ground. We encountered a problem with our license due to activities of former owners who have seriously endangered the continuity of the club. However, we also received a lot of support in these difficult times, our fans but also other clubs. This has convinced us that there was a future for the club.

Our position in the championship is disappointing (12th of 16), however we will play on Sunday the final of the Hungarian Cup, which is a great success. If they win, we will qualify for the Europa League next season.

What are your short and long term aims for Ujpest?

Short term, we must stabilize the club. A Cup victory and qualification for the Europa League would certainly help. Long-term, I want to professionalize the club up. In sports, building a team based on young talent and who can claim a place in the top rankings. I would also like to develop the commercial structure of the club, for example by creating a Business Club and improved VIP facilities.

Do you see yourself head of 2 or 3 teams in the coming years?

No , not in the plan. I am now 100% focused on Újpest FC.

Will the Duchatelet family continue buying clubs?

In my case, there is no intention to buy other clubs. I cannot speak for my father, you should ask him.

Will we see Standard players in your club next season?

It's possible. We work closely with the Standard (and other clubs), because we can offer the game time to players who are not yet ready for the first team in Liège. We already had a few players on loan this season (Pierre-Yves Ngawa, Nebojsa Kosovic and Simon Ligot) and it was positive. They were able to gain experience in the field and improve their qualities, their presence was a great addition to our team. Of course, it has to be a win-win situation for all parties.

About your dad, What is its main quality?

He is a visionary and entrepreneur, and has many innovative ideas.

If he should change something, what would it be?

His communication may sometimes be better

Over to you Henry
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    You could replace Újpest FC with Charlton Athletic in most of those questions and it could be Katrien doing the answering . The answers would be the same.

Depressing.
  • Options
    Interesting. Part of the network, and yet, not saying that, explicitly. Because to do so will attract unwelcome questions from UEFA, now they are in the Europa League.

Strikes me that in one sense Ujpest are in a stronger position, because they are a different company. So that win-win comment has some validity. We are however owned by Staprix, we are part of the same company as Standard. Who decides what is win-win in that case? That is the ongoing puzzle.
  • Options
    What exactly is there in that interview that would be a concern if Beds assertion that you could just as easily be talking about Charlton and Katrien. I don't get it.
  • Options

What exactly is there in that interview that would be a concern if Beds assertion that you could just as easily be talking about Charlton and Katrien. I don't get it.

Because it's identical to the nonsense they roll out to us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @Grapevine49‌

Good find and an interesting interview. If I were a Ujpest fan I'd be happy with it. Nothing of any concern from our perspective.

The young player theme is there as we might expect - and Ujpest have a very young squad.

As far as I can tell Ujpest have players on loan from Standard and Sint-Truden, but no others from outside Hungary. They're part if the network in all but name, but it obviously suits to position it differently.

• Options

A good advert for bringing back standing at football :-)

and flares
  • Options

Because it's identical to the nonsense they roll out to us.
    @RedRobin

So a bloke buys a football club in financial difficulty but with a long history and is seen as having potential. The new owner says he wants to stabilise the club financially and long term grow it back to where it once was in terms of stature by improving the squad with young talent and growing the business side to increase revenues.

That's fundamentally what was said. You think that's negative ?
  • Options
    Just seen this. Ujpest will NOT be playing in the Europa league. This tweeter is authoritative re Hungarian football, but its not clear exactly what has happened. But you have to suppose UEFA don't like the network...
  • Options
    What happened with the dodgy offshore companies arguments, debts, administration and tears from Roderick?
  • Options
    Interesting Roderick was at Beerschot, one of the clubs we linked up with while in the Prem. Can't find the club mentioning it now the OS has changed, but it's mentioned here:

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11684/2397721/addicks-stay-on-bolanos-trail

We even played them in a friendly

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/3677/germinal-beerschot-antwerpen
  • Options

Just seen this. Ujpest will NOT be playing in the Europa league. This tweeter is authoritative re Hungarian football, but its not clear exactly what has happened. But you have to suppose UEFA don't like the network...

It seems this is true. All I've found so far is an entry on Wiki which says "Ujpest would have qualified for the Europa League second qualifying round, but failed to obtain a UEFA license." They have been replaced by the Cup runners up.

It's not clear what the problem was, though other Clubs are in the same position, Parma from Italy and Rostov from Russia, for example. In other cases the reason for exclusion is more explicit. Skonto from Latvia, for example, have "overdue payables". There is no evidence, yet, that Ujpest's problem is a result of a breach of ownership rules.
  • Options
    His reply to my tweet is a bit hair-raising. He is one of the operators of a Hungarian footie site. I will try to find out more.
  • Options
    I read somewhere this morning about the Upjest situation and following takeover and debts owed along with dodgy invoices RD has refused to pay any further bills and it may have something to do with this
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can you paste the reply here, for those of us who can't access twitter, please.
  • Options

Can you paste the reply here, for those of us who can't access twitter, please.

"No mate it's about liquidation, corruption etc, etc. too much for 140 characters" or there abouts

• Options
    He has agreed to do a write-up for me, but asked for a couple of weeks. As far as I know, the liquidation (and corruption, first I've heard of that) relates to the previous regime at Ujpest, and RD is still living with the consequences. But Roderick clearly didn't anticipate the decision based on his interview above.
  • Options
    Perhaps financial irregularities and unresolved tax issues are enough for UEFA to say non.
  • Options
    Thanks for reminding us of the issues Bing, but that had already been noted, (there's thread on it somewhere here) and it appeared RD and his son had resolved the main issues. In his interview quoted above, Roderick says:

Our position in the championship is disappointing (12th of 16), however we will play on Sunday the final of the Hungarian Cup, which is a great success. If they win, we will qualify for the Europa League next season.

So this decision seems to have taken them by surprise.
  • Options
    I think it's pretty clear why UEFA have got nervous and pulled the plug after reading that.
  • Options

Thanks for reminding us of the issues Bing, but that had already been noted, (there's thread on it somewhere here) and it appeared RD and his son had resolved the main issues. In his interview quoted above, Roderick says:

Thanks PA, just caught up with that thread. Are we then still none the wiser that Ujpest are excluded from the Europe League?

• Options
    seems clear that the duchatelet's dont do due diligence, whether thats off the pitch in ujpest's case or on it in our case.
  • Options

Thanks PA, just caught up with that thread. Are we then still none the wiser that Ujpest are excluded from the Europe League?

At the moment, but I will find out and post here. I expect Reams will too, he is good on euro footie info. He just seems to be offended if anyone else dares to take an interest in such matters.