Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

London Marathon 2014

Comments

• Options
    AMD anyone going to watch today ? Beautiful sunny morning here in Londinium
  • Options
    Heading to Mudchute in an hour or so.
  • Options
    Thinking of going with the missus and baby at around 12ish.

Any tips on where to go watch and somewhere to park???
  • Options

Will Mo win it ?

Well we certainly won't!!

• Options
    My uncle and my little sister are running it, so I'm going to go off to meet them at the finish line in a little bit. Never really cared much about the Marathon (never cared for running or athletics of any sort), but it's nice to take an interest this year. Gorgeous day, and the jovial community atmosphere is lovely.
  • Options
    Wow
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    MrOneLung said:

Doesn't do it for me. If you wanna run 26 odd miles in 7 hours go down gym and get on the treadmill.

Had 6 emails at work this year asking for sponsorship.

If you can't do it in an expected time if 4 hours then you should he banned. Leave it to proper runners.

Normally I get sarcasm. Also, no smiley face. I just assume that's just a very unfunny joke?!
  • Options
    Don't knock it until you have tried it. This 48 year old ran it 26 years ago. Tears still come to my eyes every year I see the masses and hear that tv music. This year Mrs Meldrew and I cycled to Blackheath from home in Orpington to experience it again at close quarters. I have decided to enter in 2015 for one final go.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nipped out for the Sunday paper and saw Mo Farah run up Shooters Hill Road. Imagine that, a double Olympic champion in Shooters Hill Road.
  • Options
    Where's stig with his c#$t of the week picture?
  • Options
    Respect to everyone that ran it. It wasn't that long ago that running a marathon was something only a very few athletes could do.
  • Options
    WSS said:

MrOneLung said:

Doesn't do it for me. If you wanna run 26 odd miles in 7 hours go down gym and get on the treadmill.

If you can't do it in an expected time if 4 hours then you should he banned. Leave it to proper runners.

I did it in 4.30 last year in the memory of my mum and raised £6k for Samaritans in the process.

Should I have been banned?

Hope you were being sarcastic.
    Of course I don't want them banned!! But The spectacle as a whole doesn't really do it for me.
  • Options
    Fella from work ran it in 3 hours 11 mins which I think is brilliant
  • Options
  • Options
    smiffyboy said:

MrOneLung said:

Fucking knob
    I was being facetious about the thing. Some people got it some didn't.

not like I accused the angels of woolwich of being the terrorists wives mate is it?

• Options
    smiffyboy said:

MrOneLung said:

Fucking knob
    +1 to that quite frankly.

Anyone slagging off marathon runners deserves to be put in front of a firing squad, simple as that.

I ran 4:24 for the Paris Marathon last week. Does that not make me a proper runner?

Huge respect to all those that even had the balls to attempt it.

I'd like to pay a special tribute to my two club mates at Plumstead Runners - Guy, mid 70s, who finished in 4:41 and Gina in her mid 60s, who finished in 4:10. Gina will wrack up her 500th marathon in September. But according to MrOneLung, runners who cant run sub 4 are apparently not proper runners. I'll tell you what MrOneLung, Guy and Gina have got more balls than you'll ever have. Ever. Once you've run a marathon, do feel free to make comment.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Yeah - I'm going to go ahead and call that a 'fail'.

Ever run 26 miles before? You should give it a go - I hear it's pretty difficult.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    WANKER! Anyone who runs it under 4 hours should be banned! The great London Marathon has diminished over the years with the massive international field and prize money. I really don't think Chris Brasher and co wanted it to reach the level of hype it has. To me, and I remember 1981 very well, it was about the people and not the elite.
    I thought last years BBC coverage was bad enough with the ridiculous focus on Farrah's contrived effort. This year was even worse as the BBC decided it was the London MOrathon.
  • Options
    That was properly tough, the sun destroyed me, not used to running in it. Got round in 4.18, by far my slowest ever and 59 minutes slower than last time. Amazing crowds though that really kept me going otherwise I could've been a lot slower. Everyone should have a go once to experience the cutty Sark, tower bridge and finishing in front of buck palace, all are amazing
  • Options
    I flagged you one lung as that's a shockin post.

Riviera what? I stood on the embankment for the first ever London marathon with my parents so I'm really not sure what your point is? Is Farah not allowed to run?
  • Options
    Well done Rina lad. Nice one.
  • Options
    sad news, a man died at the finish line today
  • Options
    That's insanely fast Salad!!! What's the secret?

I've now run a 3h 27 marathon and a 1h 28 half.... would love to get under 3h 15 let alone 3h.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Mileage is key my crazy mate, 792 miles for 2014 before today (but you have to build up gradually as I've found to my cost in the past!).
    Another thing is to try to get your 10k time down. Also I'm about 3 pounds lighter than last year, that's worth a bit, at a guess maybe 2 seconds per pound per mile.
    By the way they're great times you've got :-)
  • Options
    Thanks. That's a lot of mileage, I think that's where I've let myself down in the past - not getting enough long slow runs in. Actually have a 10k race in two weeks, determined to break the 40 min mark for the first time.

Do you stick to a specific 3 h training plan? or just try and run 3-4 times a week mixing it up between Tempo runs, long runs etc.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I run 5-6 times per week and mix it up eg. Rest - Speed - 5 Easy - Tempo - 5 Easy - Hills - Long
    Important to get in an midweek 11M+ run to back up your long run, so usually pad out (or sometimes just replace) the tempo.

Going to bed now, but strongly recommend this book:
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=pfitzinger+douglas+advanced+marathoning&client=safari&rls=en&source=lnms&tbm=shop&sa=X&ei=syZLU7StIO2X7QaTlYDYBw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1728&bih=1229