Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Shepherd Neame Brewery Tour

I know there are some Lifers out there who like the occasional pint or ten, and I would just like to recommend this tour if you have a spare afternoon or you want to avoid decorating or those little jobs round the house that need doing apparently ;-) You get an hour or so being shown how they make the stuff we love to neck, then you get to taste some beer then you get to pick some to take home as part of the package. They have Sam Adams lager which is worth the trip alone as well as Late Red, Early Bird, Whitstable Bay Blond lager, and a seasonal Dragon Fire which was a nice alternative summer pint.
It was a Christmas present, so think it was £25 for two of us, but it was generally a good afternoon.

Comments

• I used to brew across the road at Fremlins (now a Tesco's I'm afraid to say). Faversham is a great place to visit, some nice pubs (and a few not so nice!) Sheps have done fantastically well over the last 30 years and I still buy bottled Spitfire here in Herefordshire. I haven't done the tour myself but I have visited the brewery and it is well worth a visit. Anyone else remember Fremlins Bitter and English Ale?
  • I thought they came across as a generally decent company. They sound quite innovative too on some of their processes.
  • Do like an ale myself. Been drinking old tom since the age of 15. Still love it now. Not got a red face yet either
  • Always wondered if this was any good. Might try it out.
  • Anyone done one closer to home? The greenwich meantime brewery tour?
  • I've sat in the Greenwich Union, but I could hardly afford to do that let alone take the tour.
  • If anyone gets a chance well worth a visit to the brewerys restaurant.
  • My favorite meantime beer is the London Porter.
  • MSE7 said:

My favorite meantime beer is the London Porter.

Overpriced but it is their best one.
  • edited April 2014
    If you do the tour and go by car, park in morrisons just down the road, that car park is always like that store mostly empty, even on Christmas Eve. The car park is also unmanned, the streets around have swale traffic wardens and they are relentless and tesco are a bit funny too.
  • Sponsored links:

• If you do the tour and go by car, park in morrisons just down the road, that car park is always like that store mostly empty, even on Christmas Eve. The car park is also unmanned, the streets around have swale traffic wardens and they are relentless and tesco are a bit funny too.

Drive to a brewery tour with free tasting? I think not!
  • If you do the tour and go by car, park in morrisons just down the road, that car park is always like that store mostly empty, even on Christmas Eve. The car park is also unmanned, the streets around have swale traffic wardens and they are relentless and tesco are a bit funny too.

Make the wife drive, or a teetotal friend.
  • I was thinking the same
  • its only tasting. little sips.
  • MSE7 said:

its only tasting. little sips.

I did the tour last year, the little sips add up after a few hours.

You're right about London porter, excellent brew.
  • I did the tour a couple of years ago - well worth it if you like the occasional pint.They "contract brew" quite a few names you will recognise.

I'm a bit of an old hand at the brewery tour malarky - one I particularly enjoyed was StAustel - if you happen to be down that way. It's a Victorian Tower Brewery.

Teetotal friend? Now you are having a laugh!
  • I do love their Master brew, proper pint that..................
  • Anyone remember the Beasley's brewery in (not surprisingly) Brewery Road, Plumstead? It closed in 1963 but I remember walking past it as a kid so far too young to do any tour!!

@MSE7 - Drinking Old Tom since you were 15 - Jesus!! I agree it's a great beer and the village pub where I live in Cheshire is a Robinsons so Old Tom on draught :)
  • MSE7 said:

My favorite meantime beer is the London Porter.

If I was having a celebration, I would far rather pop open a bottle of that with it's cork top than a bottle of champers any day.
  • Sponsored links:

• Love a drop of Spitfire. Do they still do a continental style lager called Hurlimann? Remember as a youngster many years back now getting absolutely wrecked on it in the Golden Ball, Ashford. In fell off my bar stall and was totally incapable of getting back up! Didn't touch it after that (some 27 years ago mind!).
  • The guide we had did talk about hurlimans apparently it was known as hooligans a few years back? I'm not sure they still do it though now as my attention got diverted while he was talking specifically about it, and I missed that bit :-) I hadn't even had a drink at that point ;-)
  • Born and raised just down the road from the brewery.

I think the contracted beers they still brew there are Hurlimann (still known as Hooligan to select few as mentioned above), Asahi (Japanese) and Oranjeboom (Dutch).

Sometimes the whole town has a lovely hoppy aroma too.

The only downside to Faversham is that 90% of the pubs are brewery-owned so you end up drinking Shep's beers all the time. The Phoenix Tavern and The Vault (formerly The old wine vault and the hole in the wall before that) are both free houses who have excellent beers on all the time
  • It was very nice to be able to drink something decent (Harvey's Best) at Brighton today, it would be lovely to have something like Master Brew (i.e. something tasty but not too strong) served behind the East Stand...
  • edited April 2014

I used to brew across the road at Fremlins (now a Tesco's I'm afraid to say). Faversham is a great place to visit, some nice pubs (and a few not so nice!) Sheps have done fantastically well over the last 30 years and I still buy bottled Spitfire here in Herefordshire. I haven't done the tour myself but I have visited the brewery and it is well worth a visit. Anyone else remember Fremlins Bitter and English Ale?

Fremlins, yes.

Or, park just off the A2 and walk. Then you've got a far walk back to the car to wear off some of the beer before you drive.

Teetotal friend? Now you are having a laugh!
    No friends?
  • When they do the introduction at the start, if they ask for a volunteer (to wear a hi-viz jacket) put your hand up sharpish. You get double freebies at the tasting.
  • Minkcafc said:

Born and raised just down the road from the brewery.

I think the contracted beers they still brew there are Hurlimann (still known as Hooligan to select few as mentioned above), Asahi (Japanese) and Oranjeboom (Dutch).

Sometimes the whole town has a lovely hoppy aroma too.

The only downside to Faversham is that 90% of the pubs are brewery-owned so you end up drinking Shep's beers all the time. The Phoenix Tavern and The Vault (formerly The old wine vault and the hole in the wall before that) are both free houses who have excellent beers on all the time

If you get fed up with Shep's in Faversham (how could you?) variety is provided by a range of micro-breweries at the Elephant, a small pub with pleasant back garden just a couple of hundred yards south of the railway station.

• I cant believe i missed the Elephant off that list! I go in once a week. Ive clearly been too busy using brain power over-thinking our league position