Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Steve Davis

I decided to open a new thread for this as I feel he deserves it and he is a local lad and Charlton fan

Unfortunately he lost is the World Championship qualifiers tonight 10-8 and with that he has lost his tour card,
He had already said he would go through Q School should he drop off the tour and I would not want to face him in Q School,
Hopefully he will be back but for now its bye.

I cant help but think going in the jungle had something to do with this a lack of practice and missed a tournament which could of helped him.

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2014
    He's a plastic Orient fan as far as I'm aware despite coming from Plumstead.

He used to live just round the corner from me. Wetherley Rd I think .
  • Options
    Yeah sure he is orient.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Not the most reliable source i know but read his Wiki page

Charlton fan most of his life

The Leyton Orient connection is, he is on their board(probably because Barry Hearn is one of his best friends)

I also have seen a few interviews where he talks about supporting Charlton
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    My uncle was the one who gave him to Barry Hearn, will ask him next time I see him.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

He lived in Macoma Terrace, just off Plumstead Common for sure, but could have also lived there?...
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I spoke to him a couple of years ago and he said he had no real interest in football and wasn't a Charlton fan and Curbishley was at the same event and I never saw them two talk but that may have been cos I was glued to Curbishley
  • Options
    edited April 2014

He lived in Macoma Terrace, just off Plumstead Common for sure, but could have also lived there?...
    Yes that's the one. Not far from co-op as it was then .
  • Options
    Used to be a mate of my old milkman...going back a bit though (70's).
  • Options

Yes that's the one. Not far from co-op ( opposite The Ship pub ) as it was then .
  • Options
    Yup and there used to be a snooker club above the Coop I seem to recall?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Before Steve moved to Macoma Terrace he lived in Commonwealth Way Abbey Wood and went to Alexander McLeod junior school and then Abbey Wood Comprehnsive. He was certainly a young Charlton fan in the late 60s and used to play his snooker at Plumstead working mens club where his dad who worked at nearby Plumstead bus garage, was a member. All nailed on facts.

His need to qualify at Q school might also have something to do with his age, none of us are getting any younger :-( Decent down to earth family man who never forgot his roots I would add, nothing like the boring TV image created for him.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Working mens club is in Kirkham street.
    One of the lads in our football team claim to fame was that he had his name of the same snooker trophy as Steve Davies. "The Plumstead working mens snooker cup".

Have to say he was very funny in I'm a celebrity when he was on it.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

Working mens club is in Kirkham street.
    Have to say he was very funny in I'm a celebrity when he was on it.

That's the one not far from the Slade.
  • Options

I spoke to him a couple of years ago and he said he had no real interest in football and wasn't a Charlton fan and Curbishley was at the same event and I never saw them two talk but that may have been cos I was hanging out the back of Curbishley

• Options
    Used to know him although not that well (same age as me) and he was never a great football fan - but a pretty good snooker player! When he was 12 or 13 (I think) John Spencer the then World Champ came to Kirkham Street to play an exhibition match against him. He gave Steve a two black start and Steve beat him 9-1

I remember telling all my mates about him before he was ever heard of and saying he'll be World Champ one day and don't miss the opportunity to have a bet on him - I dined out on that for years!!
  • Options
    He now lives in the village of Stock in Essex. He is a regular in the pubs in the village. I see him regularly although I have never spoken to him. Next time I see him I will ask him whether he is still a Charlton fan.
  • Options
    Taken from Wikipedia

In 1988, Davis was named the BBC Sports Personality of the Year and was made an MBE.[173] He was awarded an OBE in 2001,[58] and is currently honorary president of the Snooker Writers' Association.[174] Davis is a big fan of the French progressive rock band Magma, and even organised a concert in London so he could watch them.[175] Davis is on the board of Leyton Orient football club, which he has revealed to be more of a gimmick; Davis has been a Charlton Athletic fan most of his life,[176] and Barry Hearn is the Orient chairman.[177] He lives in Brentwood, Essex,[178] and divorced from his wife Judith in 2005 after 15 years of marriage. Together, they have two sons called Greg (born 1991) and Jack (born 1993).[179] In 2012 Greg Davis entered the Q School, with the aim of winning a place on the professional snooker tour.[180][181]
  • Options
    His Mum used to be my teacher at Bannockburn in Plumstead.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

I spoke to him a couple of years ago and he said he had no real interest in football and wasn't a Charlton fan and Curbishley was at the same event and I never saw them two talk but that may have been cos I was glued to Curbishley

hahaha

50% of the true story!
  • Options
    MattD said:

My uncle was the one who gave him to Barry Hearn, will ask him next time I see him.

I only get pants and socks for Christmas

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Steve was one of my best mates at Abbey Wood School. We used to play endless (and pretty good) Subbuteo in the very early '70's then grew long hair and got into Gentle Giant, Soft Machine and other heavy bands. He used to come to the Valley with us... North Stand but not really into Charlton or even Orient these days.

We're still in touch. If you like prog music, Listen to his programme on Phoenix FM.
  • Options

Steve was one of my best mates at Abbey Wood School. We used to play endless (and pretty good) Subbuteo

Did he used to take 10 mins deciding on who to pass to?...............
  • Options
    Never trust anyone that doesn't like football.
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

Never trust anyone that doesn't like football.

That's what I say about men, never trust a man who doesn't like football.
  • Options
    just listened to an interview with Graham Gouldman of 10cc .. I don't like football .. I LOVE it ahhhhh
  • Options
    Spoke to the great man at a gig a couple of years back. We mostly talked music but he let slip that although he once watched Charlton he didn't follow them now.

An absolute hero though as far as I'm concerned. Love the guy. The only celebrity with a music taste ;)