Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Flat tenancy - am I being mugged off??

2»

Comments

• Options
    The agency used by the landlord should be a member of a professional body like ARLA. (Tip: never rent a property via a firm that is not signed up to one of these bodies.)
    There is a complaints scheme. Use it. nfopp-regulation.co.uk/
    Here's the specific bit: nfopp-regulation.co.uk/protecting-clients-money.aspx
    My guess would be that mere mention of your knowledge of this scheme and your intent to use it will get them to back off.

Take photos of the property as you left it.

BTW you're not a smoker are you? Because no matter how "clean" a property might be many new tenants won't touch somewhere that stinks and that may be why the landlord's agents feel a deep clean is necessary?
  • Options
    What you need is a Union
  • Options
    _nam11 said:

Thanks Bolder.

I will dispute with DPS tomorrow and advise the letting agent (as I do not have the landlords contact details - agent wouldn't give them to me!)

Thanks again all

Just to let you know the agent has to give you his contact details if you request them.
  • Options
    10 copy keys with address tags "lost" in the 10 dodgiest pubs you can find after you leave. Let him try and deep clean it after that lot has come home to roost.
  • Options
    knock em last months rent see if they want to pursue it
  • Options
    Offer him a bullseye whilst reminding him that contractually you are under no obligation to do this deep clean he refers to.

He'll probably take it, u lose 50 nicker but the DPS? What a load of crap that is. Good intentions, tin pot execution. Id say it will take you a lot of time and effort under DPS if you dispute it and he boxes clever.
  • Options
    _nam11 said:

@C.Walsh'sLoveChild

Well I looked at closing inventory. Throughout it said light dusting on skirting boards. Which is my bad I guess. But the inventory stated:

"ESSENTIAL WORK PRIOR TO NEW TENANT = None
    RECOMMENDED WORK = small regrouting in bathroom & de scale if of taps."

Nothing else. All the tenancy agreement states, us that the carpet must be shampooed, which I can arrange for £45. Out of curiosity I got a quote for a full clean and shampoo for £125!!

So, do I:
    a) go back to agent and state the inventory is fine, and tell them I will dispute with the DPS
    or
    b) go straight mot DPS, request my deposit and then explain why I'm disputing

???

Most tenancy agreements will allow for wear and tear and specify certain things you must do. Shampooing carpets is reasonable and you can get a rug doctor from Morrisons for relatively little. If your starting and ending inventory are matched, but for normal wear and tear, that's it. Insist on your deposit from the agent within a reasonable timescale, perhaps 5 working days, and escalate to DPS if it's withheld.

Incidentally, they are only allowed to withhold the amount in dispute, so you should get the rest back immediately anyway. If you don't, I believe you'd be entitled to interest on any late payment.
  • Options
    part of the problem is some people are filthy feckers that never clean, I have seen some pretty nasty stuff from tenants who seem pretty decent, putting in an up front stipulation that it is cleaned to a certain standard and how that is done etc is the only way to get around grief
  • Options
    razil said:

part of the problem is some people are filthy feckers that never clean, I have seen some pretty nasty stuff from tenants who seem pretty decent, putting in an up front stipulation that it is cleaned to a certain standard and how that is done etc is the only way to get around grief

Well said Barney.
    As our resident `Deep cleaner of lets' i can tell you we come across some real 'mares.
    If you want a deposit back of perhaps £1000 it is worth investing a couple of hundred to have the clean done professionally.
    Sorry Rikofold but a Rug Doctor won't do the job that a £2000 carpet machine will and the Agent will notice this.
    Another thing they pick up on is the Oven, sometimes it can take a couple of hours to be cleaned*(sometimes they should just be replaced but they'd rather YOU pay)
    Another advantage of getting cleaners in is to get a proper bill/receipt proving you've had it done.

About 5 years ago an agent in Greenwich was done for scamming tenants of the deposit by saying the cleaning was never done to a high enough standard.

*we do have an oven cleaner on CL based in Gravesend.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Show them a receipt from a cleaning company for £250 for a deep clean and tell them you've sorted it, job done.
  • Options
    Sounds like he is trying it on, dispute all the way, if not for your sake but so he thinks twice about doing it again to future tenants. Good luck.
  • Options
    Should of kept a spare key and staged a dirty protest. Works in Belmarsh
  • Options
    Thanks all. Update...

I offered to pay £45 for the carpet clean, as per the tenancy agreement. He refused, wanted deep clean also.

I went back as a compromise and stated I got a quote from a private company, of £125 for a deep clean and carpet shampoo. I said I will pay the £45 and he can chip in £80. He won't get it anywhere cheaper. I said that, if he still refuses, then I will dispute it, as I have no other alternative, which could take upto 12 weeks for a resolution.

To be honest, he'd want this resolved ASAP, as he is selling the flat. Which I believe is more or less completed.

I called the TDS and they said, if it comes to us, and you have proof of offering a compromise, it shows you are willing to pay, what you legally owe.

Hopefully it doesn't go to that stage. But for the landlord to be trying to mug me off for £80 is laughable. Some part of me just wants to pay the £125 myself and be done with it. But I think it's just the matter of principle now.

My father In law owns a few estate agencies, and he showed me some bad closing inventories. My old flat is immaculate in comparison.

• Options
    Nice spamming Cosmo.
    Only 9 months late.

:smiley:
  • Options
    Oh come off it. You've done the same thing on another thread.

If you want to advertise on here, contact admin and they can point you in the right direction - but it's only right that you should pay for the privilege. This board costs money to run, you know.
    Using a message board for free advertising isn't on and you know it.

The truth is, I expect these shenanigans are more likely to make punters on here avoid your firm than use it.
  • Options

Oh come off it. You've done the same thing on another thread.

If you want to advertise on here, contact admin and they can point you in the right direction - but it's only right that you should pay for the privilege. This board costs money to run, you know.
    Using a message board for free advertising isn't on and you know it.

The truth is, I expect these shenanigans are more likely to make punters on here avoid your firm than use it.

100% this. I've never understood why firms do this. I mean 'actual' spam is bad enough, but people stupid enough to spamvertise clearly need a crash course in Internet marketing.
  • Options
    who are you talkng to Romford?
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

who are you talkng to Romford?

Haha!
    Some spammer called Cosmo.
    He was posting spamvertising (thanks for that term Leroy) for some cleaning company. He also posted the same crap on the "Steam Cleaning" thread.
    Got called out by a couple of posters (including WSS) and it appears he and his posts have now been removed from the site.

Now it just looks like I'm a nut-nut.
    :smile:
  • Options
    What do you mean by 'looks'?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Watch out @Addickted
    I might have to come knocking at your door:

"Want some cleaning doing?"