Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Did sky news go too far or was it a genuine mistake

Whilst watching the news this morning around 11 sky were covering the OP trial

The prosecution were cross examining and doing a good job pretty fierce but a good job

Then they prosecutor told OP to look at a picture of Reeva dead on the floor with her head exploded with an entry and exit wound and brain matter on her hair

No problem if it was just in the court

Sky accidentally or did they not take due care as the picture was there on my TV screen

Personally I think they didn't take due care and went too far today

Comments

• Options
    yeah but you're watching a live feed of a murder trial, it's not going to be all roses.
  • Options
    I agree I just thought they would have had to have a time delay to ensure it didn't happen

It was on the screen for ages
  • Options
    Personally D, I think if it stops one child going on and picking up a gun then its a good thing.
  • Options
    Way too far. Kids shouldn't be exposed to that level of gruesome pictures and it could do a lot of psychological damage at a young age.
  • Options
    school holidays though Ray I had the news on Scarlett and Joe having breakfast fortunately at the back of the house but it was a bit too graphic for them to not really take precautions with the coverage

I agree if it stops a kid with a gun but if they are going to show coverage of such things they need to take more care
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I'd imagine they're showing a feed of the trial without control over what is shown so not really their fault.
  • Options
    redcarter said:

I'd imagine their showing a feed of the trial without control over what is shown so not really their fault.

Exactly. Also, if you are watching a programme that is showing a live MURDER trial I think its rather obvious that there could be some material that may not be suitable for youngsters.
  • Options
    I think it's weird enough that you are able to watch a murder trial live on tv, let alone complain about what's in it
  • Options

school holidays though Ray I had the news on Scarlett and Joe having breakfast fortunately at the back of the house but it was a bit too graphic for them to not really take precautions with the coverage

I agree if it stops a kid with a gun but if they are going to show coverage of such things they need to take more care

Sorry D, not seen it myself. Was it daytime viewing? my comment was aimed at 14/16 age group who from what I understand can see more graphic images on their Commodore 64 or whatever they called these days. Not little ones, such as your own......... But, how many times a Sky guilty of pushing the boundries.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    T.C.E said:

Sorry D, not seen it myself. Was it daytime viewing? my comment was aimed at 14/16 age group who from what I understand can see more graphic images on their Commodore 64 or whatever they called these days. Not little ones, such as your own......... But, how many times a Sky guilty of pushing the boundries.

I've shot hundreds of innocent people in an airport and smashed in a friend's head to stop him turning into a zombie. I've chopped off my own arm to do the same thing. I once tied a woman up and laid her on a railroad and waited 15 minutes for a train to arrive and run her over. But I'd turn the channel over if I knew I was about to see that picture.
  • Options
    Golfie I agree in principle, however sky have not shown the image again and nor will they

its one of the reasons there was controversy of allowing coverage there is an agreement of delay footage hence why I was asking was it a genuine mistake or an attempt to entice more people to watch
  • Options
    and this was not the red button feed it was the news and I thought it was just updates not live footage
  • Options
    they are replaying the day in court now, sky say we have pixelated it as it is too shocking
  • Options
    It should not have been shown. Parents might need the toilet and accidentally leave the tele on. They should not have to worry about their juniors seeing spewed brains on the box while they're away. That's why programmes like Luther are on after 9pm.
  • Options
    that's what I thought
  • Options
    Not seen it, but no. No way should that be shown before watershed, let alone morning tv
  • Options
    Fair enough for Sky to cover the trial on Sky News, but why is there saturation coverage of it on Sky Sports News ? Until the verdict is reached it isnt Sports News
  • Options
    Question: Were they taking a live feed of the trial? If so, they may not have had time to react to prevent what was being shown on South African TV. #justathought
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That's why I like this country.

Murder trials (real life murder) doesnt get shown on tv like it's a drama series. It stays professional, as in, someone has actually died, let's have a bit of respect.

Celebrity, sportsman, whatever, crimes that have a victim and leave behind a family doesnt have to turn into the business of the whole world.

Tradition etc is different I get that.

I for one, think Oscar pistorious is guilty of pre-meditated murder.
  • Options

It should not have been shown. It was deemed too shocking to be shown post watershed.

If there is a slight delay in footage, sky should have blocked it completely. If there is not a delay, sky should have blocked it seconds after the image came up. I doubt the use of photograph was a surprise, all parties seemed to be expecting it (unlike the watermelon footage), in which case the length of time the photograph of was on screen becomes more unacceptable.

It looks like either lack of staff / poorly trained staff to deal with the matter or an attempt to gain attention and viewers.
  • Options
    If you feel strongly, complain to Ofcom:

https://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/tell-us/specific-programme-epg

ITV (and Sky I think) got told off for some of the footage of Lee Rigby's murderers that they broadcast on daytime programmes.
  • Options
    Dave2l said:

Murder trials (real life murder) doesnt get shown on tv like it's a drama series. It stays professional, as in, someone has actually died, let's have a bit of respect.

Celebrity, sportsman, whatever, crimes that have a victim and leave behind a family doesnt have to turn into the business of the whole world.

Totally agree with this. However, I don't have a view on the guilt of the accused.
  • Options
    There is a 30 second delay and It should've been edited the question is if they meant it
  • Options

Dave2l said:

Totally agree with this. However, I don't have a view on the guilt of the accused.
    There is certainly a decent case to protest his innocence of the crime in question, but, what does it for me is that he is known to have a fiery temper of spontaneity. He may deeply regret what he did, but I think a sudden spark of anger to harm his wife got the better of him.

• Options
    It's compelling viewing tbh it's fascinating and intriguing

But you have a feeling of guilt watching it as it's about someone dying and their family and knowing that regardless of the outcome two families are destroyed

• Options
    Under cross examination yesterday, he said he didn't mean to kill anyone and fired the gun "by accident". Four times? That doesn't make any sense with the rest of his story. Also why did Reeva take her phone with her to the toilet in the middle of the night? He is clearly in a very fragile mental state as a result of what happened, and you do therefore end up feeling sympathy for him, but I find it hard to believe any alternative scenario than murder.
  • Options
    Human nature unfortunately, how many people watched the hours of live footage of 9/11 ?
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Way too far. Kids shouldn't be exposed to that level of gruesome pictures and it could do a lot of psychological damage at a young age.

Good point - don't show any young 'uns our defending on Tuesday night