Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Best British Seaside

My other half loves trips to the seaside we have been to most, today we spent the day at Southsea, I think this has got to be up with the best, Clarence pier is great, spoilt for choice for amusements, eateries, refreshments etc a good fairground which offers good value wrist bands, mini golf, high ropes course, pub. Plus there are historical walks, boat rides, long pebble beach with loads of seats, big green and play park. Also ample parking. Is there anywhere else that's that good offering value as well as fun for a day at the seaside?

Comments

• Options
    Saturday 3rd May at Blackpool dressed as a garden gnome would be nice.

I like Aldeburgh and Southwold.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    We stayed in Bosham in Hampshire recently. Not quite on the sea but near Chichester and nice riverside pubs and the seaside nearby.
  • Options
    Bermuda
  • Options
    Southwold, great shout
  • Options
    Lyme Regis on the Jurassic Coast for me
  • Options
    wow... southsea? really... i guess it's got a lot when you consider all the facilities

but in terms of beach and beauty the seven miles of golden sand at bournemouth tops my south coast beach hit list

over the chain ferry from sandbanks lies a truly world class sandy beach with dunes
  • Options
    Depends where you live really, Sadie, but Weymouth is very nice. Real old fashioned seaside resort but well kept, with a lovely beach and picturesque harbour.
  • Options
    Cromer is a lovely little seaside town . Brilliant for kids cos it's famous for its crabbing on the beach or off the pier.
  • Options
    St ives ,Cornwall
    Looe,cornwall
    Swanage ,Dorset
    Littlehampton,sussex
    My favourites
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

My cousin runs the aquarium down there.

• Options
    The Jurassic is good but my fave is North Norfolk. Beaches go on for ever, great food and drink and nice little hotels etc
  • Options
    Plaidy Beach, (East Looe) Cornwall.

Botany Bay (Broadstairs).
  • Options
    Best pier?
    Has to be the £35million Weston Super Mare pier (as opposed to the wrecked one!
    Superb cream teas in the Edwardian dining room at the end of the pier come highly recommended from our visit there last week.
    Big shout for Southend Pier - great train ride to the end.

Love the seaside towns south of Aberystwyth - cornwall without the Islington yuppies.

Mablethorpe for the old style and Weymouth is superb.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Barmouth - my outlaws live about 5 miles from there. The town and beach are like Birmingham on Sea. Not a lot of niceness about the place and thousands of caravan sites.

Big beach but the storms and floods caused a lot of damage. Always take my little 'un to the beach at Dyfrn (?) when we are up.
  • Options

Does he run any other star signs, Algarve?
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:

Bermuda

Been twice, the most amazing beach / sea

So clear and teeming with life

• Options

wow... southsea? really... i guess it's got a lot when you consider all the facilities

but in terms of beach and beauty the seven miles of golden sand at bournemouth tops my south coast beach hit list

over the chain ferry from sandbanks lies a truly world class sandy beach with dunes

Yep, as a beach Shell Bay is fantastic, although it's not got much in the way of facilities, and you have to time your arrival and departure carefully so as not to get stuck in the queue for the ferry. Swanage is better in terms of stuff to do (arcades, crazy golf, the steam train, cinema, and loads more food places) but the beach gets very crowded in the holidays.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

LoOkOuT said:

Bermuda

But not British.

Best place to go close to home with kids has got to be dymchurch. (Kids love it loads for them to do cheap prices)

Further away I like Paignton.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

PL54 said:

LoOkOuT said:

Bermuda

But not British.

Best place to go close to home with kids has got to be dymchurch. (Kids love it loads for them to do cheap prices)

Further away I like Paignton.
    Have a row with WSS, not me
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Eastbourne is great!
  • Options
    edited April 2014

Eastbourne is great!

That's only because everyone there, is just happy to still be alive :-)

• Options
    Ha Ha, God,s waiting room is down the road at Bexhill!
    As the old joke goes " Newhaven for the continent, Eastbourne for the incontinent".
  • Options
    edited April 2014

But not British.

Sure it is
  • Options

Red card

• Options
    Leysdown

All Hallows On Sea

or perhaps not.

Agree with those who mention the Welsh beaches. Less commercial than Devon and Cornwall in my experience.

Scarborough has a bit of everything. Good beaches and the traditional day tripper things as well if you are into all that.

Off the beaten track but lovely beaches Northumberland.

It depends on what you want really. I look for peace and quiet but then I am a miserable old git.....
  • Options
    What's a matter with you all. It's all about Southend. Nothing beats the thrill of dodging all the broken bottles and heroin needles on the beach.
  • Options
    shine166 said:

Red card

Harsh
  • Options
    Stay the hell away from Bridlington.
  • Options

Best pier?
    Has to be the £35million Weston Super Mare pier (as opposed to the wrecked one!
    Superb cream teas in the Edwardian dining room at the end of the pier come highly recommended from our visit there last week.
    Big shout for Southend Pier - great train ride to the end.

Love the seaside towns south of Aberystwyth - cornwall without the Islington yuppies.

Mablethorpe for the old style and Weymouth is superb.

Spot on about Mablethorpe and Weymouth, too great places for different reasons