Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Career change thread: anyone done it, general advice welcome

Comments

• Options
    Now, really?!
  • Options
    Yup job winding down, fancy MA
    Mabybe phd
  • Options
    Market Research?

• Options
    Done it twice. In the middle of doing it again. All I can say is; if it feels right, take your balls in your hand and go for it.
    And good luck.
  • Options
    I did it three and a bit years ago. Don't regret it for a minute. Was a hefty payout but a bit of pre-planning and some cutbacks and all was good.

Research what you want to do, talk to people and family and if you are still sure go for it. Took me a couple of years to get to the jumping off point from when I first decided to consider it seriously.

• Options
    scidbox said:

Done it twice. In the middle of doing it again. All I can say is; if it feels right, take your balls in your hand and go for it.And good luck.

I've done that more than twice!
  • Options
    It is NEVER too late to change your career. You only live once dude!

I've known people in their 40's and up to do it.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Never had a career, just jobs...............
  • Options
    need finance for MA ideally am I right in thinking I can get student loans?
  • Options
    razil said:

I don't think you can for an MA:

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    razil said:

I think you have to get a "professional development" loan from a bank.
  • Options
    razil said:

You will only get a professional development loan for an MA in which the interest is covered by the state for the duration of your studies.

You may get some form of a bursary from the institution you study at ie. Essex offer lower course fees for students who also studied their BA there.

• Options
    Yep, MA is pretty much self funded.. I was looking into doing 1 last summer but is too much for me ATM.
  • Options
    career development loan from the co-op or barclays will fund an MA

i did it three years ago, went from chef to lawyer, been broke as a joke whilst sorting it out but the light is shining bright at the end of the tunnel now.

go for it
  • Options
    shine166 said:

Yep, MA is pretty much self funded.. I was looking into doing 1 last summer but is too much for me ATM.

You have your own ATM? I'd have thought you could pay for what you want!
  • Options
    Back to the matter in hand. Your quality of life is as important as your financial remuneration. I know the two can be linked, but is there any point doing a job you dislike just for the money? If you can see a change that will keep you out of the poor house and make you happier, go for it.
  • Options
    mrbligh said:

career development loan from the co-op or barclays will fund an MA

i did it three years ago, went from chef to lawyer, been broke as a joke whilst sorting it out but the light is shining bright at the end of the tunnel now.

go for it

funny that...id love to do it the other way around. some day hopefully.

welcome to the world of professional cnutism mr.bligh. enjoy your stay :)