Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Southeastern train disruption (franchise to be taken over by Govt p191)

Comments

• Options
    I’m not a huge fan of working from home, but I’d happily never have to commute again. I utterly despise South Eastern and the network infrastructure. 3 times in my last half a dozen journeys home it’s taken me 2-3 hours to do a half hour 10 mile journey 
    Trust me it's not just South Eastern.
    I utterly despair at the shit I have had to put up with in the last year or more with South Western Railways
  • Options
    Thameslink sucking double balls this morning
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    I’m not a huge fan of working from home, but I’d happily never have to commute again. I utterly despise South Eastern and the network infrastructure. 3 times in my last half a dozen journeys home it’s taken me 2-3 hours to do a half hour 10 mile journey 
    Can’t you superloop it to Abbey Wood, and get the Liz? 
    I'd be quite happy to get the Liz as it's quicker and cheaper than Southeastern but unfortunately the transport links at Abbey Wood are rubbish and the only practical way to get to and from there is getting a lift from the missus, which she ain't going for!
  • Options
    Where do you live Rizzo?

The transport links at Woolwich are far better at Abbey wood I think. Just means you have to dice walking through Woolwich and doing the bus stop shuffle while trying to board one. 
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    Where do you live Rizzo?

The transport links at Woolwich are far better at Abbey wood I think. Just means you have to dice walking through Woolwich and doing the bus stop shuffle while trying to board one. 
    Bus wankers?
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    Where do you live Rizzo?

I'm in Welling so I can get to Woolwich easily enough but I've had a couple of dodgy experiences there so I prefer not to. 
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    Where do you live Rizzo?

Bus wankers?

• Options
    Keep doing those ParkRun's mate and you can jog in and out...
  • Options
    edited March 15
    Its shocking at the moment. I work 2 days a week up town and it’s the travel that makes it such a chore. The amount of Bexleyheath trains cancelled out of cannon street is crazy, and they are only every half an hour. Seems an excessive amount of Greenwich line trains.

I then sometimes take the alternative of the Elizabeth Line and try catch the loop from abbeywood to Barnehurst (also every half an hour) only to miss the loop cos the EL train sits outside Abbeywood for 15 mins.

So, I then think I’ll take a 301 bus, only to sit at temporary traffic lights every 200 yards. 

Painful.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Its shocking at the moment. I work 2 days a week up town and it’s the travel that makes it such a chore. The amount of Bexleyheath trains cancelled out of cannon street is crazy, and they are only every half an hour. Seems an excessive amount of Greenwich line trains.

I then sometimes take the alternative of the Elizabeth Line and try catch the loop from abbeywood to Barnehurst (also every half an hour) only to miss the loop cos the EL train sits outside Abbeywood for 15 mins.

So, I then think I’ll take a 301 bus, only to sit at temporary traffic lights every 200 yards. 

Painful.
    Make sure you use delay repay if only to inconvenience them. 
  • Options
    Next commute and my 33 min journey currently running 27 mins late 
  • Options
    Next commute and my 33 min journey currently running 27 mins late 
    I gave up at Cannon Street, had sat on the 6:28 for 20 minutes, went to Blackfriars and got a train from there.
  • Options

Painful.
    The Greenwich line trains to/from Cannon Street are half hourly. If Elizabeth line trains sat outside Abbey Wood for 15 minutes the system would grind to a halt.

Connections at Abbey Wood are very poor but there are some improvements to Southeastern services coming in June.

Using London Bridge and walking to/from there would give you more choice.
  • Options
    edited March 16
    Crusty54 said:

Painful.
    The Greenwich line trains to/from Cannon Street are half hourly. If Elizabeth line trains sat outside Abbey Wood for 15 minutes the system would grind to a halt.

Connections at Abbey Wood are very poor but there are some improvements to Southeastern services coming in June.

I’m talking about if there are delays on the Elizabeth line (regularly) then the EL train sits outside abbeywood. This has happened 3 times to me in the last couple of months meaning I miss the loop train (This is a general commute moan not at SE)

And I already walk from Near Liverpool Street to Cannon St, why should I walk further to LB just cos Southeastern can’t run a proper service from cannon st? Far too many cancellations.
  • Options
    Living in Greenwich, that is a winner, winner, chicken dinner for me. Extra trains for when Charlton play at home for 10 weeks. 
  • Options
    Rudders22 said:
    Living in Greenwich, that is a winner, winner, chicken dinner for me. Extra trains for when Charlton play at home for 10 weeks. 
    My mistake. I have just noticed it is from 1st June !!
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:

Painful.

I’m talking about if there are delays on the Elizabeth line (regularly) then the EL train sits outside abbeywood. This has happened 3 times to me in the last couple of months meaning I miss the loop train (This is a general commute moan not at SE)

And I already walk from Near Liverpool Street to Cannon St, why should I walk further to LB just cos Southeastern can’t run a proper service from cannon st? Far too many cancellations.
    Overall the Elizabeth line is the most reliable railway in the country.

Your problems are down to the government controlled Southeastern. There used to be 6 trains per hour on the Greenwich line plus 2 Thameslink services. The track and signals between London Bridge and Cannon Street have not been upgraded (again down to government control). It's not that much further to walk to London Bridge (many people do it every day) and you get more options.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Crusty54 said:
    Crusty54 said:

Painful.

Your problems are down to the government controlled Southeastern. There used to be 6 trains per hour on the Greenwich line plus 2 Thameslink services. The track and signals between London Bridge and Cannon Street have not been upgraded (again down to government control). It's not that much further to walk to London Bridge (many people do it every day) and you get more options.
    Who do you work for?
  • Options
    I often wonder how many people would take a small pay cut if it meant not having to travel up town at all.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    I often wonder how many people would take a small pay cut if it meant not having to travel up town at all.
    Factor in not having to pay for a season ticket on the trains and you could take a pretty big pay cut and still be ahead on the deal.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Costs me £600 per month to travel (35 miles as crow flies) from only one stop further than Tunbridge Wells.  I would happily do this although do enjoy working in London still having emigrated out.

Can claim £2.50 from SE for Friday night's Cannon St nonsense which is nice.

• Options
    edited March 17
    clb74 said:

Costs me £600 per month to travel (35 miles as crow flies) from only one stop further than Tunbridge Wells.  I would happily do this although do enjoy working in London still having emigrated out.

Can claim £2.50 from SE for Friday night's Cannon St nonsense which is nice.

Half of mild in the Cannon Street Spoons for you then!
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    clb74 said:
    But then fast forward 10 years and we will have a workforce dominated (even more so) by people sat at home on their own all day who dont know how to communicate with anyone except on a screen, which in turn would u undoubtedly, lead to even more mental health issues.

Lime most things in life the answer lies I  trying to strike the right balance.

I think on one of the early covid threads I said I could do it full time.  However having done it full time then I've done a uturn and hugely advocate (for myself) a mix is best.  Think the 5 days in the office i have to do is unnecessary given i have a near 2 hour door to door commute but prefer the days Im in the office once im there and find it easier to switch off once leaving the office than just flicking off the laptop at home.

Also the interaction with colleagues, having a laugh, face to face chats etc (when you get on with colleagues) is of great benefit to me personally.

But for everyone it's different.

I do look back on my formative years as a post room lad going out on the piss in the city and west end after work and think that it was a great time in a great city and would have missed out on so much if locked away at home working.  But was a different world then and not sure if that culture even exists these days amongst youngsters.

• Options
    Crusty54 said:
    Crusty54 said:

Painful.

Elizabeth Line isn't even the most reliable railway in London. DLR is far more reliable.