Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Any Ecologists in the house?

I know this is a big long shot, but worth a try. I am looking for a way to get an entry level job as an ecologist. My searches so far seem to suggest that you need a protected species licence to aid in the job application - however it seems like you need to be employed as an ecologist in order to get one of these licences. I do love the closed system that is the employment market...

If there are any people that work in the field of ecology/conservation/environmental science that read this forum and could offer me some advice in getting entry level jobs in this field it would be most appreciated. I have two relevant degrees (Zoology and MSc Animal behaviour), I have a lot of field experience, as well as experience in conservation education. I have been volunteering for about 6 years in the sector, so any help, as said before, would be hugely appreciated.

*sits back and hopes :)

Comments

• Options
    Good luck moutuakilla, can't offer advice or help but great choice of career.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Check the FaberMaunsell website .. a multi-disciplinary engineering group involved in ecology and associated businesses with offices all over the world (FM is part of a US based conglomerate), including down town Beckenham
  • Options
    also WWF .. NOT the phoney/fake wrestling outfit ... ((:>)
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I work in Environmental Consultancy, specifically contaminated land, for a company called SLR Consulting.

I got this gig nearly 10 years ago straight out of Uni by visiting this website:

https://www.endsdirectory.com/

and firing off my CV to pretty much every consultancy listed on there that had offices in the area of the country I was looking to live. Probably sent out 30 or so CVs either by email or in the post, got 2 interviews and 1 job offer. Been here ever since although I transferred to the Canadian arm of the firm 3 years ago. That is the best advice I can give you. Don't sit and wait for a job advert to come up and don't rely on recruitment consultants who charge a fee to the company that hires you - that can be a turn off if they are hiring someone with limited experience. Its also a very competitive jobs market, companies will appreciate you showing initiative and being proactive in seeking out the potential opportunities rather than waiting for them to come looking for you.

We had Ecologists in our office in Worcester, where I worked, and as far as I'm aware the project staff (juniors) weren't expected to arrive with the protected species licences already on their CV - not every member of staff, even some seniors for example, were licenced to handle bats. I'm sure it's seen as an advantage if you have them but if you were hired as a complete newbee it would been seen as part of your training, and companies do like hiring the right newbees as they are clean slates who can be trained to be the way the company likes them.

Looking at the SLR website (www.slrconsulting.com), we seem to be looking for a Project Ecologist in Edinburgh and/or Glasgow, not sure if that would suit you, but it would be worth firing in your CV anyway - we have offices all over the UK. Inbox me and I can give you a contact name. Good companies are always looking for good people and if they like the cut of your jib they may find room for you even if they weren't specifically looking to fill a post when you sent them you CV. That's what happened with me.
  • Options
    Might want to try the big oil companies.
  • Options
    Out of intrest Moutakilla what sort of voluntary work have you been doing, I'm finished my ecology degree and just about to get started planning for fieldwork in Ecuador this summer with bats. In the meantime, I've been looking at all of the jobs on environmentjob.co.uk and stopdodo, and there seems to be a few bits and bobs, but as you say difficult to get started. Do you have any preference in terms of job at all - are you specifically after ecological consultancy? My coursemates that have achieved places with firms having graduated were those that were very proactive in firing off CV's and taking advantage of any lead that came there way.
  • Options
    I work at Fabermaunsell (now called aecom) albeit in engineering Not ecology. Croydon is now the local office. They do indeed employ ecologists - Drawback is, you've got a view of selhurst park. Worth sending your cv in.
  • Options

Out of intrest Moutakilla what sort of voluntary work have you been doing, I'm finished my ecology degree and just about to get started planning for fieldwork in Ecuador this summer with bats. In the meantime, I've been looking at all of the jobs on environmentjob.co.uk and stopdodo, and there seems to be a few bits and bobs, but as you say difficult to get started. Do you have any preference in terms of job at all - are you specifically after ecological consultancy? My coursemates that have achieved places with firms having graduated were those that were very proactive in firing off CV's and taking advantage of any lead that came there way.

I've been advised to re-write my CV and make it more specific to ecological work, which make sense, so i'll do that this week and start firing it off. I find the environment job to be the best site for uk based jobs (although I find quite a few of the jobs are just loosely environmentally based, and most of the jobs are entry level jobs that want a vast amount of experience). The best website by far, although more for international work is evoldir (http://life.mcmaster.ca/evoldir.html) - I found my jobs at the Max Planck Institute and Melbourne University there. Osna jobs is pretty good as well for getting bird based experience too. There are a few other sites around, but those are probably the best I have found.

Ecological consultancy seems like a good path to go down, ideally I would be involved more in behavioural research, but this is very few and far between and i'd like to be able to move into something with a bit more career progression, and stability. Most of the work I have been involved in thus far is either research or conservation based.

I have done a fair amount of voluntary work, starting off with the standard helping out local wildlife trusts at university and moving on from there. I worked at london zoo as a volunteer keeper and educational volunteer over a period of 4 years. I worked at the UK wolf conservation trust, the british wildlife centre, the orang-utan foundation (a few other positions like these), I helped set up a research centre in Thailand looking at long-tailed macaques. Worked with the Max Planck Institute for 5 months last year, and on a project with Exeter University in the Australian outback for about 5 months at the end of last year, investigating incubation behaviour in a desert species (should hopefully have a senior author publication soon from that).

I am currently working at Melbourne University, once again with birds, doing behavioural studies, DNA analysis, Database management and quite a few others things. You get a wealth of experience in a massive range of things from all of these positions. I have managed to get my expenses paid over the last year, but for the most part, if you are going to want to volunteer in the UK you'll have to work full-time as well (unless you find yourself in a favourable financial position). I have worked 7 days a week for most of the last 7 years, including during my masters. I have been to some amazing places so I cannot complain at all, and I have been doing what I love. I am sure you will have a great time in Ecuador (I would Love to make is over to the americas, such an amazing part of the world!), make sure you use it to make other contacts, as they can be very useful in the long run.
  • Options
    My first choice degree was Marine Zoology at Aberystwyth but bottled it and went less left field. Really regret it in many ways.
  • Options
    Talking of marine animals have you seen this?

http://sfglobe.com/?id=659&src=fbfan_659