Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Speed Awareness Course

Comments

• Options
    I took the course .. very worthwhile ... and I did learn a few things
  • Options
    Time we spitroasted the op piglet
  • Options
    My mate took it and fell asleep. When they asked him a question he woke up and answered "errr.... seven?" the class cracked up when the teacher said "no it's Green"
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I got done last Boxing Day at 6.30 in the morning doing 28 mph on Tower Bridge. I have been driving 35 years and this was just the second time. The first was some 15 years ago when I happened to be driving my sisters car. I was mildly amused that she got the letter when, not only was she not driving, but at the time was a senior prosecutor for the Crown Prosecution Service.

After I got over my indignation I decided to pay the additional "fine" and go on the course - along with another 30 plus drivers also caught speeding on Tower Bridge.

The course had its interesting bits and it did save me the 3 points.

• Options

My mate took it and fell asleep. When they asked him a question he woke up and answered "errr.... seven?" the class cracked up when the teacher said "no it's Green"

reminds me of when a mate was obviously not listening in a lesson at school and the teacher would ask him for the answer, pretending to help him I whispered "Cheese", he answered loud and clear "Cheese!!". The answer was obviously nowhere near being cheese. I may have done it to a few other mates during my time at school.

Also when my mate sitting next to me in a strict history lesson was asked to read out a source from a mock paper, as he started reading I placed my hand on his knee and slowly slid my hand up to his thigh giving it a gentle squeeze. Never seen some one so uncomfortable and yet on the verge of laughter before.

I think i might be weird.
  • Options

Also when my mate sitting next to me in a strict history lesson was asked to read out a source from a mock paper, as he started reading I placed my hand on his knee and slowly slid my hand up to his thigh giving it a gentle squeeze. Never seen some one so uncomfortable and yet on the verge of laughter before.

I think i might be gay.
    Fixed for you
  • Options

Joking aside, you seem obsessed by my presence on here, I dare you to make a post that doesn't involve these words; Operation, Pig, Wednesday, Sheffield, and FA Cup.

Go on, give it a whirl.
  • Options

I think i might be gay.
    Fixed for you
    OI it's not gay if our balls dont touch.
  • Options

I think i might be gay.
    Fixed for you
    OI it's not gay if our balls dont touch.
    Balls don't touch what?
  • Options
    This thread has got everything

• Sponsored links:

• Options

OP is cool he is honourary Charlton except when we play the wendies, leave him alone :-p
  • Options
    In answer the the initial question. I did a Speed awareness course a couple of years ago and I learned a lot that made me a safer driver. It wasn't as exciting as going to a football game, but if you approach it with an open mind then I would say it's, almost, worth doing even if you're not looking to escape three points.

However, the main cost with getting three points is what happens if you get some more. Most insurance companies ignore three points or less, so if your husband isn't likely to get any more (ten years without a speeding conviction would suggest that he's not likely to) then he can probably pay a little less by taking the points and paying the fine - when I did mine the course cost more than the fine. Not to mention he can avoid a five hour course, and I doubt he has five hours that he can't find anything to do instead, especially if he has four children at home - I just have one and some days I can't, literally, find time to get anything done!

However, I would reiterate that it was very educational. The chaps that ran mine, near Maidstone mentioned the advanced driving test which I went on to do and I've seen my insurance premiums fall through the floor since I got that.
  • Options
    He's decided to opt for the course, I think he'll hate it but we'll see. Thank you everyone for your input, it really helped x
  • Options
    Just read this. Well not quite thanks to everyone eh?
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Just read this. Well not quite thanks to everyone eh?

No not quite, I still feel angry at the ignorance and rudeness of one person "by your very nature you are cash poor and time rich" wow! But the kindness of others has softened the blow, I personally think he should be banned but then I am biased ;-)
  • Options

No not quite, I still feel angry at the ignorance and rudeness of one person "by your very nature you are cash poor and time rich" wow! But the kindness of others has softened the blow, I personally think he should be banned but then I am biased ;-)

Rise above it Sadie. My own family shares a number of the issues that you are handling with dignity and fortitude. Unfortunately, in every bunch of roses you will find a prick!!
  • Options
    He has opted to do the course, price gone up to £87 though. It took ages I had to send form back saying it wasn't me giving his details, he then eventually received one and sent it off saying it was him and only just today got a letter offering him the chance to do the course, took ages, I thought it would all be done and dusted in a couple of weeks.
  • Options
    madadd said:

By the way for anyone who uses Dartford Cossing regularly the approach to the bridge average speed cameras have been active for the past 3 months, - getting us ready for removal of toll booths fairly soon, when it goes to number plate recognition- and like me most of the peeps on my course had been caught there, 58 in a 50 and I was keeping with the flow of the traffic!!

Exactly the same, got done last month doing 58 on the Dartford Tunnel Approach. That stretch must be generating some enourmous amounts.

Which reminds me i need to register for the course. Anyone know whether you can do weekends as really don't want to use up a day's leave for this.

• Options

madadd said:

By the way for anyone who uses Dartford Cossing regularly the approach to the bridge average speed cameras have been active for the past 3 months, - getting us ready for removal of toll booths fairly soon, when it goes to number plate recognition- and like me most of the peeps on my course had been caught there, 58 in a 50 and I was keeping with the flow of the traffic!!

Exactly the same, got done last month doing 58 on the Dartford Tunnel Approach. That stretch must be generating some enourmous amounts.

Which reminds me i need to register for the course. Anyone know whether you can do weekends as really don't want to use up a day's leave for this.

got done on the same area last week doing 63mph, unfortunately only went on the course 18 months ago so looks like £100 fine and three points for me!
    They must be coining it in coz I was travelling at the same speed as the traffic flow
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    must be honest, i thought that stretch was 60 not 50.

Driving is becoming ridiculously unenjoyable. Drove round the M25 yesterday, despite all of the cones now being removed from the Southern stretch from the A21 up to the M23, the 50mph limit was still being applied for over 10 miles, with cameras. Painful on an empty sunday motorway, then get on the A20 back to Sidcup, and again with no cones, a 30mph limit was in place, with no traffic.

Poodling along a motorway with no cars around you yet going at 30mph is one surreal feeling.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I drive down the M20/A20 quite a lot of a night and they are frequently doing roadworks, although I'm never quite sure what it is that they're fixing as it never looks any different. It is incredibly annoying to have them lower the speed limit to 50, 40 or even 30 mph anything up to 6-7 miles before any actual roadworks. No problem with lower speed limits in affected areas and for the approach to those areas but do they really need such a huge stretch of motorway crawling along with no traffic and no roadworks?
  • Options

madadd said:

I think you can do evenings.
  • Options
    My husband is the most stubborn, pig headed person I've ever met but he came home from the course today talking about how intersting it is and that he actually enjoyed it so it must be ok. He also said his instructer was a Charlton fan.
  • Options
    edited June 2014
    Sorry but if your husband thinks a speed awareness course is interesting then he's on a different planet to me!!
  • Options

must be honest, i thought that stretch was 60 not 50.

I think it goes, 60, 50, 40 as you approach the booths from this side. All within 2 miles-ish
  • Options

Sorry but if your husband thinks a speed awareness course is interesting then he's on a different planet to me!!

He certainly is. You live up North.
  • Options

He certainly is. You live up North.
    That was quick. I like that.
    I was going to quote pig and agree with him, however that was better.
  • Options

When you never go out anywhere apart from with kids and see the same 4 walls day in day out and speak to the same person day in day out, same routine (to the tee due to living with someone with autism) day in day out... Then you too would find it interesting, your life isn't exactly riveting though is it? You do support Wednesday, at least we can say supporting Charlton isn't boring that's why you prefer here over owls talk...;-)
  • Options
    Ha, that shut you up you annoying turd!! Come on tell us how you are going up next year and that you are a massive club! The reason he posts so much on here is cause it's shit boring and grim up north!
  • Options
    eug72 said:

Ha, that shut you up you annoying turd!! Come on tell us how you are going up next year and that you are a massive club! The reason he posts so much on here is cause it's shit boring and grim up north!

Nothing grim about Sheffield, ask half of the SheffieldLife posters on here, where are you South East London?