Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alex Dyer

2»

Comments

• Options
    Matthews should be put back in charge of the U18/21's where he did a fantastic job instilling a passing football philosophy to our upcoming youngsters.

Can't see any roles for Dyer or Euell in the future setup.
  • Options
    all of Powell's coaching staff will have their brains picked clean .. and will then be paid off
  • Options
    waldo said:

Was never really sure what he brought to the table to be honest.................

I think that's probably a bit unfair Tango. Unless you are at the training ground regularly or sit close enough to the dugout to hear conversations between Dyer and Powell, why would you have any real idea how much value Dyer is or isn't adding?
    Conversations between Dyer and Powell - they used to have a 10 minute committee meeting of about 5 people before making a substitution!
    and still fcked it up
  • Options

all of Powell's coaching staff will have their brains picked clean .. and will then be paid off

They're out of contract in the Summer, that's when I expect them to go.

• Options
    Good news for him, taking that initial job as Steve Clarke's assistant there proved to be a good career move, seeing that he's still an assistant manager for Scotland

• Options
    I played in a summer league on a couple of occasions with Alex's brother/cousin (I can't remember), who was a really nice bloke. I think it was when Alex was at Charlton or had just left.

In the same team was Ricky Hill's brother who I think was a teacher or trainee lawyer, he was such a lovely quiet bloke considering the rest of us were basically boozers. Oh to be in my twenties again.
  • Options
    He wasn't a bad player either. He'd get slaughtered now because he was never prolific but back then we were a limited team and people had limited expectations. Back in the Selhurst days, he had a fantastic game at home to Bristol City in 1991. Scored two lovely goals that day. Also remember two bullet headers v Everton and versus either Bristol Rovers or Brighton (all of his goals seemed to come at the Sainsbury's End). 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He's generally classified as a defender, but I'm sure he played in a more attacking role for us

He's done well for himself in coaching after a journeyman career as a player
  • Options
    I definitely had him down as an attacking midfielder for us 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    He's generally classified as a defender, but I'm sure he played in a more attacking role for us

That was his later career.

He converted to the back at Oxford when he left us and then played in that role for Lincoln, Barnet, Huddersfield and Notts County. 
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    He wasn't a bad player either. He'd get slaughtered now because he was never prolific but back then we were a limited team and people had limited expectations. Back in the Selhurst days, he had a fantastic game at home to Bristol City in 1991. Scored two lovely goals that day. Also remember two bullet headers v Everton and versus either Bristol Rovers or Brighton (all of his goals seemed to come at the Sainsbury's End). 
    Maybe he had a nectar card
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Very decent player for us. Always did a good job and was probably underrated for us. 

A nice bloke as well.  
  • Options

Centre-forward for us. Played up front mainly with Gordon Watson to start with, then with a mixture of Leaburn and Grant. Following season at Upton Park, Gary Nelson took his place and he didn't play much at all (possibly injured). And finally, in 92/93 he played about 30 games up front with either Leaburn or Nelson and an occasional appearance on the left. 
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    When we were at Selhurst my company had an executive box, the box holders used to share the players lounge back then. As I was there with customers every week, players would get to recognise you. Alex was the only one who used to chat on a regular basis, and he even bought me a pint twice! 

I reminded him of it when we met again in Gibraltar when he was SCP's assistant, and we had a long chat about the Selhurst days. He is an absolute gent.      
    I met him very briefly in the player's lounge at Twerton Park, after we'd beaten Bristol Rovers 2-0, managed by Malcolm Allison. He'd had a good game and had set up at least one of Alan Pardew's two headers. Very affable bloke. 
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

Centre-forward for us. Played up front mainly with Gordon Watson to start with, then with a mixture of Leaburn and Grant. Following season at Upton Park, Gary Nelson took his place and he didn't play much at all (possibly injured). And finally, in 92/93 he played about 30 games up front with either Leaburn or Nelson and an occasional appearance on the left. 
    Pretty sure he was injured for much of 91/92. As I started going regularly in that season, I never saw him for a long time!
  • Options
    He was a talented player who wasn't prolific. He definitely added to the team. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I always liked 'smiler' just one of those players at the time who really put in a shift, was he world class, no way, but a good pro.
  • Options
    clive said:

Black History Month: Alex Dyer on career, Steve Clarke & fight against racism

Throughout his life, Alex Dyer has been many things to many people.

A team-mate at various clubs, an apprentice painter at Blackpool's old Bloomfield Road ground, sir to the kids he taught at a special needs school, best man to Chris Powell, and even an unofficial adopted son to Sheila and Colin from Hull, who cooked his dinners, did his washing and recorded Eastenders for him on their VHS machine.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/scotland/54587573
    Out of interest did any Charlton players take the knee?

I think I’m inclined to agree with Ferdinand about it becoming diluted and not really having much impact. Maybe at the beginning but not really now.
  • Options
    Chris Iwelumo Meets... Alex Dyer-podcast now available on BBC Sounds
     https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p08vwk1x
  • Options
    clive said:

A team-mate at various clubs, an apprentice painter at Blackpool's old Bloomfield Road ground, sir to the kids he taught at a special needs school, best man to Chris Powell, and even an unofficial adopted son to Sheila and Colin from Hull, who cooked his dinners, did his washing and recorded Eastenders for him on their VHS machine.

I think I’m inclined to agree with Ferdinand about it becoming diluted and not really having much impact. Maybe at the beginning but not really now.
    A bit like the nhs clap. However great the cause, keep doing the same thing and traction is lost
  • Options
    clive said:

A bit like the nhs clap. However great the cause, keep doing the same thing and traction is lost
    Ooooo Matron.
  • Options
    Glimpsed Alex as he shook hands with Gerard at the end of the Kilmarnock v Rangers match on Sky. 

Great to see him doing well for himself as Manager of a team currently 6th in the Scottish Prem.

Really lovely guy and a true gent. 

Always made a point of coming to say hello when we worked on the Memorial Garden at SL.