Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sayings - Get It Right!

Chilling in my Sheffield hotel with my boy and it troubled me again! People who use the wrong phrase/terminology for sayings that are regularly used. So, what sayings that people routinely get wrong annoy you? Let me give you some to start:

1. 'Gun - Ho'. Wrong! Get it right, it's GUNG- HO.
2. 'Lacksadaisical'. Wrong! Get it right, it's LACKADAISICAL.
3. 'Tenderhooks'. Wrong! Get it right, it's TENTERHOOKS.

Any more?

Comments

• edited March 2014
    Air on the side of caution! Get it right, it's ERR on the side of caution.
    Edge your bets, - Get it right, it's HEDGE your bets.
  • All that glitters is not gold.......Agh

Glisters !!!!
  • 'He's been hard done to there'

NO! It's 'He's been hard done BY there'
  • Heard a bloke on the radio the other day saying "the short and curlies of it is ..." - oh dear, doughnut alert - it's "the long and short of it".
  • Another thing coming .... It's think
    For all intensive purposes ...intents

And the one that annoys me the most when peeps get i.e. and e.g. confused !!!!
  • edited March 2014
  • I worked with a plum who kept on talking about something being 'a damp squid.' It's not a wet cephalopod you cretin!! It's 'a damp SQUIB.

And as for glitters/glisaters/glistens/ in the Merchant of Venice by Will Shakes Iago recites 'all that glitters is not gold.' Good enough for me:-)
  • LenGlover said:

There have been several threads making this point.
  • Perpetually saying 'I could care less' instead of 'I could not/couldn't care less' it means the EXACT OPPOSITE FOR GOD'S SAKE.
  • Chilling in my Sheffield hotel with my boy and it troubled me again! People who use the wrong phrase/terminology for sayings that are regularly used. So, what sayings that people routinely get wrong annoy you? Let me give you some to start:

Any more?

Not much to do in Sheffield on a Saturday night?
  • Sponsored links:

• thenewbie said:

Perpetually saying 'I could care less' instead of 'I could not/couldn't care less' it means the EXACT OPPOSITE FOR GOD'S SAKE.

This a million times over, I don't know why it makes me so angry but it does.

I mostly hear this mistake from the stupid Americans I have to share an office with.
  • Chilling in my Sheffield hotel with my boy and it troubled me again! People who use the wrong phrase/terminology for sayings that are regularly used. So, what sayings that people routinely get wrong annoy you? Let me give you some to start:

Any more?

Not much to do in Sheffield on a Saturday night?
    A very valid point Absurdistan! However, I was on tenterhooks all night and didn't want to go all gung-ho in Sheffield. I felt that would have been a totally lackadaisical approach! Mind you, in hindsight, a night on the pop would maybe have helped eased the next day's pain!

• Which is right?... Can't be arsed! Or can't be asked! ?

Never known always wondered.

I spent years saying asked but it's arsed apparently. Maybe asked is what adults used to say in front of children?

Whatever, it applies to tomorrow night..... even though I will be there.

cant be asked doesnt even make sense :)
  • Found this on the web....

I was bugged by this and found a thread about it elsewhere. One person said this:

'My understanding is that the original is "I can't be asked", as a double generalization of "You could not ask me to do something," with the implication of this earlier phrase being that even if you asked me to do something, I would not do it. If I would not do anything (as opposed to something), regardless of who asked me to do it (you, or you, or you), then I truly can't be asked.'

Apparently in the 1990s people changed it to arsed and it just kind of stuck. My best friend says asked, I say arsed. Some people just didn't jump on the bandwagon I'm guessing.
  • thenewbie said:

Perpetually saying 'I could care less' instead of 'I could not/couldn't care less' it means the EXACT OPPOSITE FOR GOD'S SAKE.

Americans say 'could'. It works if you say it in the right way. "I COULD care less... But not much less."

Champing at the bit. Although chomping seems acceptable, I stick to champing.
  • Damp Squid!

It's damp squib you idiot, squid are meant to be damp.
  • All that glitters is not gold.......Agh

Glisters !!!!

I thought the quote was 'Nor all that glistens, gold' but I'm happy to be corrected.
  • Stonewall penalty. What is that? A stone cold penalty I can understand. A stonewall penalty is perhaps a fine paid by a gay rights group?
  • Sponsored links:

• Going to ground. Means to go into hiding, not fall over. Although I think I'm losing this battle now.
  • Although it's actually "rigor mortis" can us Charlton fans actually use the phrase Riga mortis instead now?
  • Here, here Hear, hear
  • There, there.......as said by mothers to sooth crying babies. There where? And what happens there?
  • We are Charlton, Super Charlton, We are Charlton ??????
    Coming in or come on then

Covered end
  • Found this on the web....

I was bugged by this and found a thread about it elsewhere. One person said this:

'My understanding is that the original is "I can't be asked", as a double generalization of "You could not ask me to do something," with the implication of this earlier phrase being that even if you asked me to do something, I would not do it. If I would not do anything (as opposed to something), regardless of who asked me to do it (you, or you, or you), then I truly can't be asked.'

Apparently in the 1990s people changed it to arsed and it just kind of stuck. My best friend says asked, I say arsed. Some people just didn't jump on the bandwagon I'm guessing.

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/can't+be+arsed. 'Can't be asked' isn't there. That story sounds like someone's excuse because they've been getting it wrong all these years.

Covered end
    Oh Jack...

• thenewbie said:

I always thought that when people said "I could care less" it was hinting that "I could care less....but not much"
    I still prefer "I couldn't care less" though.