Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bari To Join Network?

Thought it deserved it's own thread. Sorry for the translation: http://www.demorgen.be/dm/nl/998/Voetbal/article/detail/1806872/2014/03/07/Roland-Duchatelet-aast-nu-ook-op-Bari.dhtml

The sale of hunger Standard-President Roland Duchâtelet is apparently still not satisfied. According to the newspapers Sudpresse now preys successful businessman in Bari, a bankrupt club from the Serie B (second class). Bari is in very bad financial paper, the mountain of debt would amount to some 30 million euros, and may be declared bankrupt today. To avoid deleting the tradition-rich club reportedly looking for a new investor.

The 67-year-old Duchâtelet took the last few months, though the Spanish second division Alcorcon, the English team Charlton Athletic and the fourth-German Carl Zeiss Jena on. His son Roderick is the main shareholder of the Hungarian first division Ujpest Dosza and his companion Marijke Höfte owns second division Sint-Truiden, where Duchâtelet was president, before he took over in 2011 Standard. According Sudpresse he would negotiate for weeks about a takeover.

Bari today would be declared bankrupt sometimes. Gillet Bari, the former club include Red Devil Jean-Francois Gillet in the southern Italian region of Apulia, shares many similarities with Charlton: even in dirty financial papers and bottom dangling in second class . Duchâtelet buys such moribund clubs at a competitive price, pumping money into it and storing the players, for example, Standard and STVV. For example, the Standard chairman hopes to increase.

The value of that club again Matarrese Bari, a club a few seasons ago, came out in Serie A, is on the brink of financial disaster. The family business Matarrese ran the club for 37 years, but had to throw in the towel because the debts were running high. Bari had to start this competition with -3 and is not yet sure of conservation. If Bari saves himself and the club find a buyer, then the next season to start again in the Italian second division.

Comments

• Options
    Bagpuss said:

"Bottom dangling in second class" - concerning.

With dirty financial papers too!

• Options
    Welcome to the famil Bari(ng) any problems ;-)
  • Options
    We are not even first class bottom danglers. Roland we want to be up there with the first class bottom danglers, sort it
  • Options
    WSS you will know what I'm getting at here, I think:

One of the thing that bothers me about the network is the management time. Each new club further dilutes the thinking time RD can devote to each one. He has never built up and run a network like this before made up of 'people businesses'; let alone 'people businesses' where the customers are stakeholders. And he is 67. He is asking a lot of himself.
  • Options

One of the thing that bothers me about the network is the management time. Each new club further dilutes the thinking time RD can devote to each one. He has never built up and run a network like this before made up of 'people businesses'; let alone 'people businesses' where the customers are stakeholders. And he is 67. He is asking a lot of himself.

Oddly I see that as a positive. Put somebody in place to run the club locally (KM in our case) and let them get on with it. Hopefully far less micro management from somebody who is not there day to day.
  • Options

That is why you employ good chief execs to manage affairs on your behalf.

• Options

Oddly I see that as a positive. Put somebody in place to run the club locally (KM in our case) and let them get on with it. Hopefully far less micro management from somebody who is not there day to day.
    Is definitely a positive...

Napoleon created a Empire across Europe himself but it fell apart because he couldnt trust his Marshals to act independently and was forever having to rush around dealing with each and every little issue
  • Options
    I remember Bari being a biggish club in the early 90's.

Weren't they David Platt's old club and didn't their stadium get built for Italia 90 ?

I then think they got relegated and played in the Anglo Italian Cup when it was received in the 90's although not against us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Richard J said:

I remember Bari being a biggish club in the early 90's.

Weren't they David Platt's old club and didn't their stadium get built for Italia 90 ?

I then think they got relegated and played in the Anglo Italian Cup when it was received in the 90's although not against us.

Yup David Platt played one season for them in 1991/1992 (in between leaving Villa and joining Juventus)

Bari reached the Semi-Finals of the Anglo-Italian cup in 1993 which was the first season we were in it but didnt get out of the Preliminary Group stage finishing behind Portsmouth and beating Millwall... Had we won that Group then we'd have gone on to face Bari

We reached the Group Stage the following year but Bari didnt qualify... Brescia / Ascoli / Pisa and Ancona were in our Group from Italy that year

Have just checked Colin Cameron's excellent "Home and Away with Charlton Athletic" and we've never played Bari or Standard Liege in Friendlies etc...
  • Options
    Bari are a big club hit upon hard times, a lot of potential for growth with a 60,000 stadium capacity. Would be extremely interesting if they are next in Roland's network.
  • Options

Bari are a big club hit upon hard times, a lot of potential for growth with a 60,000 stadium capacity. Would be extremely interesting if they are next in Roland's network.

Of all the big European Leagues... Serie A is probably the worst of the lot... Think the majority of clubs have hit upon hard times with a lot going bankrupt then you've got all the scandals and corruption going on out there

I dont know as I dont pay too much attention to Italian Football but arent Inter Milan one of the few big sides to have come through recent years without any problems?
  • Options

Of all the big European Leagues... Serie A is probably the worst of the lot... Think the majority of clubs have hit upon hard times with a lot going bankrupt then you've got all the scandals and corruption going on out there

I dont know as I dont pay too much attention to Italian Football but arent Inter Milan one of the few big sides to have come through recent years without any problems?

Contradiction much?
  • Options
    It's going to be a brilliant pre-season tournament
  • Options
    send our young defenders to italy, our midfielders to spain and our strikers to boss the belgian leagues for their 1-2 year "gap year" roland has talked about. Could be quite beneficial.
  • Options

Napoleon created a Empire across Europe himself but it fell apart because he couldnt trust his Marshals to act independently and was forever having to rush around dealing with each and every little issue
    Sure. However even if we assume that RD is a good delegator, issues will crop up which can only be resolved centrally. Here is just one example:

If we are talking about a shared network of players it is almost automatic that these strong CEOs will have goals which are in conflict with each other. Katrien would resist the idea of sending Jordan Cousins to Bari, whereas Mr/Ms Bari may badly wish to have him there. Who will sort that out?

And the more clubs there are, the more room for such conflicts of interest between strong individual CEOs.

• Options
    BTW, I realised the Napoleon analogy falls down, because at least in his case he had ONE army with ONE objective.....
  • Options

lets hope that RD stays out of russia then!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

BTW, I realised the Napoleon analogy falls down, because at least in his case he had ONE army with ONE objective.....

Napoleon had more than one Army... He had the Grande Armee which marched with him but for example during the Peninsular War you also had the Army of Portugal

Then during the Hundred Days he also had the L'Armée du Rhin (near Strasbourg) and L'Armée des Alpes (at Lyon) he also had five other armies (all setup to ensure that the other coalitions (Austria / Russia / Spain etc...) didnt attack him whilst he dealt with the British and Prussians
  • Options

Sure. However even if we assume that RD is a good delegator, issues will crop up which can only be resolved centrally. Here is just one example:

If we are talking about a shared network of players it is almost automatic that these strong CEOs will have goals which are in conflict with each other. Katrien would resist the idea of sending Jordan Cousins to Bari, whereas Mr/Ms Bari may badly wish to have him there. Who will sort that out?

And the more clubs there are, the more room for such conflicts of interest between strong individual CEOs.

The player will still have to agree to the move. I don't see many of our young British players wanting to move abroad when there could be Premier League interest.
  • Options

Napoleon had more than one Army... He had the Grande Armee which marched with him but for example during the Peninsular War you also had the Army of Portugal

Then during the Hundred Days he also had the L'Armée du Rhin (near Strasbourg) and L'Armée des Alpes (at Lyon) he also had five other armies (all setup to ensure that the other coalitions (Austria / Russia / Spain etc...) didnt attack him whilst he dealt with the British and Prussians
    Blimey...what I mean is that he has a military force for his sole objective of European domination, or whatever you want to call his objective. (please, no need to give me all the detail on it, I'm sure we get each other :-))

Does RD have a sole, overriding objective, as Napoloen did ? If so it can only be one thing: group profitability

• Options

Blimey...what I mean is that he has a military force for his sole objective of European domination, or whatever you want to call his objective. (please, no need to give me all the detail on it, I'm sure we get each other :-))

Does RD have a sole, overriding objective, as Napoloen did ? If so it can only be one thing: group profitability

Ahhh yes am with you now lol! :)
  • Options
    I think Jordan Cousins might be more opposed to a move to Bari. I think the more clubs around our level in the network the better. One club may have too many decent players in one area and not enough in another and can help each other. We probably won't need 3 keepers anymore either.
    It will be a great way of developing youth players and we have the opportunity to blood them in competetive games.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

That and he failed the height test.
    Actually he didn't. He was 5'6" when the average in France was about 5'2". It is said that he looked short because he spent so much time with the Imperial Guard who were above average height for the time, which was made to look even taller because of the bearskins they wore.