Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Electric guitars

I'm thinking of adding an Epiphone Dot to my collection. Does anyone have any experience of these?

Or does anyone have an alternative, favourite axe?

Comments

• Options
    I'm a Gretsch fan when in comes to semihollow guitars.
    Also love my les pauls.
    Check out mylespaul.com, great epi section with lots of knowledgeable folks.
    Alternatives in pricerange to a dot would be Japanese Korean guitars. eg Ibanez.
  • Options
    Hendrix' famously used a standard white fender (although upside down and left handed)

Says it all no need for anything too fancy in my opinion.
  • Options
    I'm a strat man all the way. USA Fender custom shop Clapton signature model in Pewter with noiseless pickups
  • Options

I'm a Gretsch fan when in comes to semihollow guitars.
    Also love my les pauls.
    Check out mylespaul.com, great epi section with lots of knowledgeable folks.
    Alternatives in pricerange to a dot would be Japanese Korean guitars. eg Ibanez.

Thanks! Bookmarked: very useful!
  • Options
    The Ibanez hollow bodies are very very good. Don't own one but have played a few and all have been excellent.
  • Options
    I have a Les Paul but my main passions are fenders, I love Jazzmasters and Jaguars, but strats are also a favourite of mine.

I am looking into semi-hollow guitars though, the one that Noel Gallagher uses (An epiphone I think, the name escapes me) would be a preference.
  • Options
    I have a cream Fender Strat. I don't like Gibsons as they look like violins IMO.
  • Options
    Is there a good British electric guitar brand?
  • Options
    Not British but I love the look of the Pure Salem brand coming out of the US at the moment .....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It will depend what type of sound you are looking for and budget. For classic/southern rock/blues, use a Gretsch hollow body. The Les Paul is a great rhythm guitar and I personally think everyone should learn on a les paul. Strats are very versatile when it comes to styles which is why they are so popular. For a grungier rock sound, consider a jaguar or a solid body gretsch. My personal favorite is the prs custom line - great tones, very clean for a lead guitar with a little bit of a jazz sound. I am not a big fan teles - sound is just a little bit too generic for me. Dots are good for the price point but if you have the cash, upgrade to the similar style Gibson - you will definitely notice the difference.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Jj guitars are a British electric guitar manufacturer. They produce some nice guitars, well made and the latest models look pretty good too.
  • Options
    Actually they are an English manufacturer. You may need to get used to saying that tomorrow :)
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Gordon Smith Guitars, handmade to order, pretty much for the price of an Epiphone.

http://www.gordonsmithguitars.com/
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Sorry posted that again!
  • Options
    While I'm here, what do you think of my new rig?image
  • Options
    RedMist said:

Looks like Bikey in disguise!
  • Options
    Palm Bay Guitars are a British company although I am pretty sure they are not made in UK now. I have a UK made 1994 Tidalwave. Great guitar.
  • Options
    Ha ha it now has a name...BK! -like it.
  • Options

Palm Bay Guitars are a British company although I am pretty sure they are not made in UK now. I have a UK made 1994 Tidalwave. Great guitar.

If around at all?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Palm Bay are back in business now. Seem to be pretty active on Facebook promoting their wares.
  • Options
    Ah right, they used to do the super-strat style lairy coloured things right?
  • Options
    They're the ones, still do. Its difficult to hide with one of those!!!
  • Options
    Here's a link if you're interested-
    http://www.jjguitars.com
  • Options
    Chizz I have an Ibanez AS93 archtop semi hollow and it beats Epiphone Dots all day long for quality and sound. Like the Dot it has a solid sustain block and so far I have never had any issues with Feedback. Great guitar for any genre I picked mine up second hand on e-bay for £250 a bargain.

Also consider Tokais they have some great ES335 lookalikes for a fraction of the price Rockem Music in Rotherham are a good stockist.

• Options

Chizz I have an Ibanez AS93 archtop semi hollow and it beats Epiphone Dots all day long for quality and sound. Like the Dot it has a solid sustain block and so far I have never had any issues with Feedback. Great guitar for any genre I picked mine up second hand on e-bay for £250 a bargain.

Also consider Tokais they have some great ES335 lookalikes for a fraction of the price Rockem Music in Rotherham are a good stockist.

Thank you.

• Options
    If you want a hollow, get a Gretsch.
  • Options

If you want a hollow, get a Gretsch.

Thanks for this.

What I like about my current hollow-body and the dot is that it is not "fully" hollow. Instead, it has a "block" of wood in the middle, giving it extra weight. Does the Gretsch also have this?
  • Options
    RedMist said:

Wasn't you on the noisy neighbour thread was it?
  • Options
    He he, no this is strictly for live only, can't even fart at home without her next door complaining-was playing through a 5 watt practice amp once and she knocked at the door to say it was shaking the floor!