Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Article: A Charlton fan's story of love and betrayal at the hands of The FA Cup...

2»

Comments

• Options

Really good read, and though most of the comments here are about the cup final, the original post also summed up the (former) fascination with the whole tournament, not just finals day. Back in the day, the cup got your attention even when your own team wasn't involved (i.e. R4 onwards most of the time, for us). I recall shouting myself hoarse at a fantastic Spurs v Derby replay even though I supported neither team (Derby won 5-3 having been 3-1 down).

I think the main solution to restoring the cup's status would be to put the winners in the Champions League (but only winners, not runners-up to a team that finished top 3). That way, a lot rests on the outcome, same as play-off finals.

I agree, but no way the big clubs will ever sign up for this!
  • Options

Really good read, and though most of the comments here are about the cup final, the original post also summed up the (former) fascination with the whole tournament, not just finals day. Back in the day, the cup got your attention even when your own team wasn't involved (i.e. R4 onwards most of the time, for us). I recall shouting myself hoarse at a fantastic Spurs v Derby replay even though I supported neither team (Derby won 5-3 having been 3-1 down).

I think the main solution to restoring the cup's status would be to put the winners in the Champions League (but only winners, not runners-up to a team that finished top 3). That way, a lot rests on the outcome, same as play-off finals.

I agree, but no way the big clubs will ever sign up for this!
    You're probably right. The agitation has to come from clubs like Everton, Villa, Newcastle - clubs who stand a reasonable chance to landing the FA Cup in the right year - but will find it hard to sneak into 4th place. They are 'big clubs', but for some reason seem to passively accept their status where it's hard to finish above 6th. Breaking the CL monopoly would mean that the big 4/5 clubs can't take a CL place for granted, which they largely do (Man U this year an interesting exception)
  • Options

@jimmymelrose‌ @shrew I was in the 22nd. I think we did the same camp as the 14th or 6th. Did you play Saturday morning footie?

We used to play in the afternoons. The officer who took us to football in his mini-van got fed up with me crying off for Charlton home games. By the time I got to be the most senior member he asked me for Charlton's fixtures so that he could arrange our matches when Charlton were playing away.
  • Options
    I think the cup’s diminished profile has a lot to do with the Champions League. It’s terrible that coming 4th in the Premier League is seen as more important than winning the cup.

I’d like to see the cash rewards of the Champions League reduced (maybe give the excess money to grass roots football, or even charity). At the moment, football belongs to the Champions League clubs (the same ones every year) and everyone else is feeding off scraps.

But, as someone else said, it will never happen.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Lovely read Leighton! evokes a lot of memories.

My first FA Cup final memory was of 1969, Neil Young winner for Manchester City vs Leicester. My first TV colour final was the epic Sunderland vs Leeds Porterfield 1-0 game of 1972. This was my uncle's home and I was allowed to have a Double Diamond Shandy for the first time, funny the odd things you remember! And there was the replayed final between Chelsea and Leeds in 1970....brilliant.

I too loved cup final day. It started on a Friday night and continued through to Sunday whereupon friends and I would reenact the goals on the patch of green in front of our house. I particularly enjoyed the ride on the team coaches as they left their respective hotels on the drive to Wembley. We would often watch the first half on BBC and then switch to ITV for the second half and Brian Moore.

The last final that caught my imagination was the 1987 Coventry victory over Spurs especially as I had a Spurs supporting neighbour who I did not get along with. Presently the Cup magic is obviously back with me and especially Ms Lat, a fantastic win at Sheffield Wednesday I sense a tougher game vs Utd though, especially given their 8 match winning run, I hope the Cup mistress remains kind to CAFC.

• Options
    Great post leighton
    Hope u can write us part 2 on Sunday evening?!
    Come on Charlton keep the dream alive as the magic
    Is still there for some.
    (it helps when uve been promised Wembley tickets WHEN we
    Win by ur boss!)
  • Options
    excellent post mate.
    1st final I remember was Man Utd v Everton in 1985. Norman Whiteside classic winner in extra time after a Moran red card.
    I would take winning the cup (completely unlikely) & relegation as JJ also stated but would rather stay up & lose tomorrow......we will see!
  • Options
    Remember taking the special train to wolves in the late 70's we lost 3-0 to a John Richards hat trick.......bit of trouble in and outside the ground....
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I remember hearing this tale once. A fan whose team got to the final had a ticket and was going to the game.
    Those were the days of big clunking video recorders, and hefty video tapes and incomprehensible remotes to use (if not having to push buttons on the machine itself).
    Before he left for the game from up north he asked his non football loving wife to record the game for him, as much coverage of the big day as possible. Obviously she could not really understand why he would want to record the game when he was seeing it anyway.
    So.
    He went to the final, and it was when only ITV had it on I believe, or he could only get ITV.
    His team won.
    When he eventually got home, deliriously happy, desperate to re-live it on the video, he put the tape in the machine.
    His wife had recorded the whole of the ITV cup final day coverage from about 10 in the morning or so, it was all there and she had stopped and restarted the video recording at every advertisement break to make it a better watch.
    THAT was the woman I should have found and married! If ever there is a tale of love from a wife to a husband that is it. How can you top that?
  • Options
    ct_addick said:

Remember taking the special train to wolves in the late 70's we lost 3-0 to a John Richards hat trick.......bit of trouble in and outside the ground....

Remember it well ...many thousands of charlton there