Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

BBC to axe a channel

Comments

• Options
    Haven't they already cut the gimmick that was bbc 3d?
  • Options
    Ross said:

Would be nice if they put BBC Three or Four on all day too instead of just from 7pm.

As things stand, they can't do that because the BBC3 & 4 transmissions share the terrestrial bandwidth and satellite transponders with the CBBC and Cbeebies channels which transmit during the day.

My guess is that BBC3 is going. It seems to me that content has already reduced in quality and quantity with more repeats being transmitted. Weirdly this seemed to coincide with starting the HD versions of the channels.
  • Options
    Technically with iplayer we don't need any of them. We have 4oD demand on 5, itv player too, with sky on demand. I wouldn't be surprised if before long all tv was sky plus planner style watch what you want when you want and they done away with every channel apart from a few live sport/event channels.
  • Options
    To quote Alan Partridge, terrestrial TV is a dead duck. Virtually nothing of worth is on any of the main channels anymore. There is no such thing as daytime and primetime TV anymore, the line has been blurred - no matter what time of the day you tune in you're guaranteed to find either a home improvement show, a reality show, a Jeremy Kyle style show or some really crap quiz show (I never thought it could get any worse than the Weakest Link but Pointless is by far the worst quiz show ever to be broadcast at a peak hour).

BBC3 getting the axe wouldn't be terrible - it seems to be a graveyard of comedies that aren't funny enough to be shown on BBC1 or 2, and vapid documentaries presented by gap year teenagers. Family Guy & American Dad seem to be the only things worth broadcasting, but they don't get put on iPlayer, I imagine due to some horrible licencing law or something.

I agree with sadiejane1981 though, we'd be better off doing away with it all and just having on demand and internet/smart TV. I honestly believe that if the Internet was invented before broadcast television, the idea of broadcast transmission of video would have never been floated.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Deffo BBC Alba - there is absolutely no need for the British Tax pound subsidise this channel.

Everyone who watches it speaks English (of a kind) anyway.
  • Options
    Ross said:

Would be nice if they put BBC Three or Four on all day too instead of just from 7pm.

7 until 1 in the morning. That schedul contains eastenders repeat, 2 family Guys and 1 American Dad... completely pointless waste of money.
    E4+1 is a waste of time too
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

but Pointless is by far the worst quiz show ever to be broadcast at a peak hour).

I take it you were fortunate enough to have missed the few episodes of "Don't Scare The Hare" which the BBC put out in a Saturday prime time slot before axing it - that made Pointless look like high class entertainment!
  • Options

BBC Parliament, who watches this channel?

They get a lot of money selling footage on when somehting happens and it costs buttons to run.
  • Options
    Cut em all and give us back our licence fee I say. Always bleating about being short on money but make billions every yr selling their programmes overseas..............
  • Options
    Just been listening Richard Bacon and he seems to think it will be BBC four that is axed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BBC 4 is likely to generate more of a campaign to save it than BBC 3 will.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Deffo BBC Alba - there is absolutely no need for the British Tax pound subsidise this channel.

Everyone who watches it speaks English (of a kind) anyway.

Absolutely. It's time we stopped wasting tax payers' money on these hobby languages.
  • Options
    BBC4 must stay. Wonderful channel. Could easily loose BBC3
  • Options

Cut em all and give us back our licence fee I say. Always bleating about being short on money but make billions every yr selling their programmes overseas..............

Good point. What we need is shit tv with loads of adverts.
  • Options
    Maybe a scam. A few years ago BBC 6 Music was put forward for closure, cue lots of complaints and still going. BBC 3 probably is the closest to existing commercial channels but the stuff on 4 costs more to make (even though it's still cheap) and therefore makes a worthwhile saving.

Scheduled TV on separate channels has about 10 years left. It will all appear very strange that we had to watch something at a certain time and that possibly precluded us watching something else. "They are on at the same time" for TV will be like "This is where we came in" when going to the pictures.
  • Options
    Didn't know 4 existed, so has to be that
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Ah, BBC3. The channel that gave us such wonders as 'Little Miss Jocelyn', 'Touch Me I'm Karen Taylor' and 'Marc Wooton Exposed' - three of the worst 'comedy' shows in the history of television. Also famous for launching the 'career' of Lee Nelson.

Putting it out of our misery would be a blessing.
  • Options
    The problem with BBC Three is it's gone from brilliant original stuff like Monkey Dust to shit like Lee Nelson.
  • Options
    Poor old @falconwood_1 will be devastated if BBC3 goes as it may mean the end of 'don't tell the bride' . He loves that rubbish.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    BBC itself is now reporting BBC3 will be iPlayer only, which means no more Family Guy or American Dad as BBC doesn't have the rights to broadcast these online.
  • Options
    I can't believe they got rid of Shooting Stars for the PC crap that is Citizen Kahn
  • Options
    They stil dont have a +1 option which is very poor..
  • Options

I can't believe they got rid of Shooting Stars for the PC crap that is Citizen Kahn

I think Citizen Khan has some potential , it just needs some sharper writing. It has good ingredients for a sit-com. Pointless is probably, along with the Chase - one of the two best quiz shows out there at the moment IMO.
  • Options

I think Citizen Khan has some potential , it just needs some sharper writing. It has good ingredients for a sit-com. Pointless is probably, along with the Chase - one of the two best quiz shows out there at the moment IMO.
    Citizen Khan is total crap as is Miranda and Mrs Brown's boys. These shows make me want to put my foot though the tv.
  • Options
    Sky charge the BBC around £30m a year for it's channels to be broadcast over the network, axing content available on other platforms might save a few pennies. The BBC has been dying for years anyway. Its revenues are up there with Sky but it's so bloated and anyone who's worked for them will tell you if the BBC need 20 people to produce a radio or TV show, commercial stations will need 3.

I'd rather see programmes like Top Gear axed, which at £1m a show would save £10-15m a year. Not bad when they're trying to find £100m in savings. But it's a cash cow for BBC worldwide I guess, despite being completely out of ideas.
  • Options
    EGAddick said:

I'd rather see programmes like Top Gear axed, which at £1m a show would save £10-15m a year. Not bad when they're trying to find £100m in savings. But it's a cash cow for BBC worldwide I guess, despite being completely out of ideas.

So maybe it wouldn't save the BBC any money at all.