Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Microwave catching fire

Happened last night, fortunately just heating a plate for 60 secs and kids were a bed.

Had it 5-6 years, but any recourse on this ? Sure these things happen if people put foil, whatever in it, but this just seems a case of the motor catching fire, and could have been a lot worse if we weren't in kitchen at time.

Not.really up on these things. Is this not unusual, and would I get anywhere complaining eith Panasonic ?

Comments

• smiffyboy said:

Bin it and buy a new one not worth risking it in future.

ha, its knackered! I didn't mean about using again, just have i a justifiable complaint.

Had a kitchen fire about 18 months ago which WAS my fault and one of my boys was just about a foot aware from the flames, which messed me up for a bit (and burnt my hands). So i'm a bit angry about this because in my mind, kitchen appliances shouldn't just 'catch fire'. But am i being naive / busy ?

• It's a beeping outrage.
  • My mum had 2 brand new microwaves blow up in the space of 2 months. Shop replaced them both times. On her third one, she phoned me up one day and said she could she a black scorch mark on the inside of the microwave after using it a few times. I told her to unplug it and went straight round, only to find a fridge magnet stuck on the outside, and a fridge magnet-shaped black mark on the inside, exactly opposite said fridge magnet.

She was absolutely baffled as to why sticking a fridge magnet on a microwave would be a problem.

After a brief physics lesson, I was on my way. Never had a problem since!
  • smiffyboy said:

Bin it and buy a new one not worth risking it in future.

ha, its knackered! I didn't mean about using again, just have i a justifiable complaint.

Had a kitchen fire about 18 months ago which WAS my fault and one of my boys was just about a foot aware from the flames, which messed me up for a bit (and burnt my hands). So i'm a bit angry about this because in my mind, kitchen appliances shouldn't just 'catch fire'. But am i being naive / busy ?

On a serious note though, stuff like this does put lives at risk, at the very least the manufacturer needs to be aware to ensure that the appliance doesn't have a fault which is inbuilt to all microwaves of that make and model, which would require a recall.
  • My elderly neighbour (Jimmy the air gunner) has those frozen ready meals that Ronnie Corbett advertises on the box ( Wiltshire Farm?). Recently his big old microwave packed up and he bought a nice new modern one. The first time he used it to cook one of these meals he arrived on my doorstep to say that it was on fire. I shot round there and managed to remove one very charred 'Beef in Red Wine' ready meal from the oven but it continued to smoke and give off those nowious fumes although it was unplugged. It turned out the resdymesal tray was a fraction too long for the oven's glass plate and it nudged the side of the oven just enough to stop the plate from turning. However the motor kept running and the heat built up until the tray caught fire. Jimmy's eyesight isn't too clever and he didn't realise anything was wrong until the burning smell got pretty bad so he came and fetched us.

We spoke to the shop where he bought it and in turn they spoke to the manufacturer but although everyone was sympathetic 'pilot error' was blamed and he had to buy a new, larger microwave. He is now very wary of the oven and I go round most evenings to set the timer for him as he can't read the small numbers on the timer : this takes a while as he insists on you stopping for a couple of 'snifters' and a chat.

Anyway. I was surprised that the motor didn't cut out when the plate stopped turning thus leaving the meal to stand there getting hotter and hotter but the manufacturer couldn't see a problem and said it was up to the user to ensure the item to be cooked was not too large and that the oven was operating correctly.
  • as usual, a case of circumstances .. how much you paid for it, how often you used it, did you use it correctly, did you do anything to damage the equipment .. I would doubt that you have any legal recourse and will be dependant on the 'goodwill' of the company you bought it from to replace it free of charge .. with the caveat that IF there is found to be an inherent problem/fault with the manufacture of the cooker, then you may have a case to claim for damages and the makers/sellers will get 10 years (with t/o for good behaviour) for selling dodgy goods
  • Did your kitchen electrical power ring trip out?
  • lol .. a life of grime doesn't pay
  • Sponsored links:

• why were you heating a plate in the microwave? I seem to remember you shouldn't run them without food/drink but that may have been old style ones. I know my mum always made us put a cup of water in the empty microwave in case it got accidentally switched on. then again she also told my sister that toasters used electricity when not being used so you have to unplug them every time you finish making toast so I wouldn't trust her when it comes to kitchen appliances
  • AFKA, don't just heat the plate. Put food on it next time :-)
  • edited February 2014
    Was going to heat one of them flaming burgers in my microwave earlier but I got scared reading this thread so went to the pub for a meal instead. lol.
  • ^^^^ humble pie ? .. ((:>)
  • I bought my elderly mum a microwave a few years ago and it started smoking out the back, so I bought her a new one. But asked her to get her carer to put it in the garage so I can take a look at it when I visit. It was only a few years, not used that much and was very clean. Not sure I've got a receipt but would probably have paid for it on credit card. But think we bought it from Comet/Currys or whoever it was who went out of business
  • Was going to heat one of them flaming burgers in my microwave earlier but I got scared reading this thread to went to the pub for a meal instead. lol.

They're bloody dangerous no matter what they're cooked in!
  • I had a Panasonic microwave catch light a few weeks ago. Did three things following this:
    1. Replaced it
    2. Checked my smoke alarm is working properly
    3. Put it down to experience

Whatever you do AFKA, please do number 2.
  • Chizz said:

I had a Panasonic microwave catch light a few weeks ago. Did three things following this:
    1. Replaced it
    2. Checked my smoke alarm is working properly
    3. Put it down to experience

Whatever you do AFKA, please do number 2.

I think he probably did do a number 2 when it caught fire
  • AFKA due to you I was able to watch the second half against Sheffield We'd on Monday So Thanks. Lots of electrical goods that are old get recalled due to faults discovered after years of use. Berko fridge freezers and Bosh dishwashers spring to mind. So if I were you I would complain to the supplier and look to get at least a new microwave and compo for any damaged cause. As many on here Will tell you I am a professional moaner and would not let this go so good luck and thank CP or the other God ( sorry could not resist) that no one got hurt.
  • I don't think you've much chance.
    First, the law puts a six year time limit on claims. So you'd have to be sure when you bought it.
    Second, I believe the onus would be on you to show that the failure was due to a fault in the manufacturing process/poor quality components rather than something you'd caused. That might be difficult and might need expert opinion which would cost more than the claim.
    Third, even if within the statutory time limit, the law allows for a "reasonable" perception for how long something should last and this has to do with cost/quality. So, it might be reasonable to expect a £2000 Miele steam oven to last for six years but perhaps less reasonable to expect a £70 microwave to do the same.
    That said, you might get a goodwill gesture of some description from the manufacturer?
  • Sponsored links:

• Also happened to me one evening last January.

Put food on a plate to be re-heated and immediately BANG! followed by flames leaping from the sides, and the kitchen filling with acrid smoke.

Flames can seem mesmerising and an age seemed to go by, before I thought to pull the plug - although in reality probably just a few seconds.

Pulling the plug stopped the flames, but the choking smoke meant I couldn't see from one side of the room to the other. I had doors and windows open for about an hour to clear the smoke, which also found it's way upstairs to the bedrooms etc

A worried neighbour had seen smoke and came round to see if I was alright. Scary stuff tho.

• rina said:

why were you heating a plate in the microwave? I seem to remember you shouldn't run them without food/drink but that may have been old style ones. I know my mum always made us put a cup of water in the empty microwave in case it got accidentally switched on. then again she also told my sister that toasters used electricity when not being used so you have to unplug them every time you finish making toast so I wouldn't trust her when it comes to kitchen appliances

My mum doesn't like having empty plug sockets, in case the electricity leaks out!
  • cheers all, probably a bit of food got lodged somewhere. Got back from Leicester and the wife has already bought another one! Bargain jobby, so reckon i might be bumping this thread again soon.

As others have mentioned, these things give you no warning and you would be surprised at just how silent things can be and how quickly flames can get to a decent size. That incident a couple of years ago, a smoke alarm thankfully saved a potential tragedy.

If you haven't got one, get one asap.
  • Was going to heat one of them flaming burgers in my microwave earlier but I got scared reading this thread so went to the pub for a meal instead. lol.

I didn't realise you had invented electricity up there yet, never mind microwaves!

• Perfect excuse to treat your misses to a new one on her b'day.