Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Leicester v Charlton | Sat 1st March 2014 | Match Preview

It’s amazing to think that a month ago Friday after a 3-0 defeat to Doncaster, the morale was down, players were on the verge of leaving and there just didn’t seem to be a sense of optimism for the rest of the season.

However, the past week has suddenly changed that.

A well-fought and battling performance against QPR last weekend was rewarded with a last-minute winner from Johnnie Jackson. Just when we needed that bit of luck, bit of inspiration, we got it.

Still recovering from the victory over QPR, the Addicks faced a physical Sheffield Wednesday side who themselves got an impressive result two days prior to the fixture.
But the Wendies could not overcome Chris Powell’s side who were nothing short than magnificent and secured an FA Cup Quarter-Final tie against the MASSIVE’S closest rivals Sheffield United.

While the past week has been fantastic for the Addicks, they must look ahead to this weekend where they face the league’s runaway leaders Leicester at the King Power Stadium.

The Opposition

Leicester currently have an eight-point lead over 2nd place Burnley and look certain to be playing Premier League football next season.

However, one of the teams that has beaten Leicester this season is in fact the Addicks and in recent years have seemed to be Leicester’s ‘bogey team’. One difference this time round is that there is no Yann Kermorgant around to cause the Leicester side any danger.

A 3-0 victory in their last fixture against Ipswich just highlights the quality and problems that the Foxes could cause the Addicks this weekend.

Player to Watch

With a Leicester side that have been scoring goals for fun this season, I can’t look past talisman David Nugent to be the ‘player to watch’ this weekend.

The England-International has scored eighteen goals so far this season and with his sharp turn-of pace and finishing ability, he certainly has the potential to upset the Charlton back-four on Saturday.

The Line –Up

After Monday’s excellent performance, it’s more than likely that Chris Powell will name a very similar side this weekend.

One change he may make is to bring back Rhoys Wiggins into the side after he wasn’t fit enough to play two games in two days last week. If Wiggins does return, he’ll replace youth product Morgan Fox at left-back despite Fox's decent debut against Sheff Wed last Monday.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see the formation stay the same with Simon Church up-front on his own and a midfield five of Cousins, Jackson, Cousins, Poyet, Ajdarevic and Harriott continue.

After Ben Hamer’s heroics last Monday, he should remain in goal while Morro, Wood and Wilson should keep their places at the back.

The Prediction

Tough one to call; on paper it’s a Leicester win.

However, if we can produce the kind of performances that we did last weekend, then who knows?!

1-1 draw.

Comments

• Options
    2-1 charlton win
    morrison to have a great game.
  • Options
    2-0

Vardy
    Nugent
  • Options
    I think Dorian could come in for Wood as Leicester do not play the hoof ball that SW do.
  • Options
    Back down to earth with a BIG bang... 4-0 Leicester
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

I think Dorian could come in for Wood as Leicester do not play the hoof ball that SW do.

Wood was injured at Hillsborough. Hammy? Hence nearly red carded when their guy got past him.

• Options
    Can't see past a comfortable Leicester win 2-0
  • Options
    One of those games that you have to write off when you look at the league table but football is a funny old game!

Decent performance but a 2-0 win to Leicester.
  • Options
    5-0 Leicester and the hindsight team and substitute crew will be back in town
  • Options
    Looking at it rationally it should be a two or three goal defeat ...but sod that ...2-1 charlton
  • Options
    Reckon we'll surprise a few and get a result. Astrid to score against his old club.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    3-0 defeat - games catch up with us a bit. Anything in this game would be a huge bonus anyway, concentrate on Sheff U and Hudds.
  • Options
    Reality check for us but nonetheless a solid performance that will keep spirits up for the Cup: 2-1 defeat.
  • Options
    I'm going to this one. Looking forward to it. Would take a draw right now.

1-1

I'm sure a Wembley song might get a go aswell ;)
  • Options
    We always beat Leicester with super Ya.... Scrap that.... Just we always beat Leicester. ;-)

Score 2-1.
  • Options
    Disappointing 1-1 draw.
  • Options
    I wonder if Hamer may be 'rested'. In his interview on Player he said his ankle was "getting stronger" which suggests he doesn't consider himself fully fit yet.
  • Options
    we need Hamer to play because the other bloke is not to good
  • Options
    I said it would be typical Charlton to take points off QPR and Leicester then lost to Barnsley and Bournemouth..... so I'm going for an unlikely point, whilst hoping the second part doesn't come true :-)
  • Options
    Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • Options
    i think we are on a roll 3 points to us
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dervite for Wood
    Wiggins for Fox
    1-1, Church scoring spree to continue
  • Options
    us to win 1- 0 ajidarevic with the winner
  • Options
    Heart over head here. Another battling performance. 1-0 Addicks
  • Options
    Leicester have to lose a game at some point, and we always seem to put in a decent performance against them.

However, unfortunately, I cannot see past a home win and the Powell Out Brigade surfacing to make it the busiest day ever on the Charlton Life Forums.
  • Options
    I can only see a defeat here but just hope its a spirited narrow one rather than a morale sapping hammering
  • Options
    Spirited performance but we lose 2-1, Cousins with our goal.

• Options

Spirited performance but we lose 2-1, Cousins with our goal.

very much this

• Options
    1-1
  • Options
    I'd be ecstatic with a 0-0 bore draw