Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Poundland to float on London Stock Exchange

bbc.co.uk/news/business-26238027

Presumably they will have no choice but to price the shares at £1 each.

Comments

• £750m float according to Mark Kleinman. Where there's muck theres brass.
  • priced right these shares could be worth a small investment .. the £1 shop phenomena is not going away .. there may also be, in the not too distant future, a take-over/merger bid from one of the big boys: Assaintesaudimor
  • as the scots will be denied use of the £ if they go solo, perhaps they can pop in the £ shop and purrrrrchase a few
  • as the scots will be denied use of the £ if they go solo, perhaps they can pop in the £ shop and purrrrrchase a few

Yep, £2 each

• If the Scot's vote for independence - will they rename it Jocky Dollar land over there!
  • Just shows the state our economy is in
    That's why all these 99p pound shops are thriving?
  • Just shows the state our economy is in

No, not really - it's more about the gullibility of the British consumer. Chances are they are spending more money in pound stores than they would in a regular supermarket. Here's some staple food examples I picked at random:

Poundland 2 litres of milk: £1 (obviously) (50p per litre)
    Sainsbury's 4 litres of milk: £1.39 (34.75p per litre)
    Poundland Warburton sliced loaf: £1
    Sainsbury's Warburton sliced loaf: £1.45
    But the Poundland loaf is only 600g whereas the Sainsbury's one is 800g. So that's £1.81 versus £1.66 per kilo: Poundland wins. But the thing is there's a Sainsbury's own brand 800g loaf for £0.90. That's only £1.125 per kilo vastly cheaper than the Poundland product.
  • cafcfan said:

Just shows the state our economy is in

No, not really - it's more about the gullibility of the British consumer. Chances are they are spending more money in pound stores than they would in a regular supermarket. Here's some staple food examples I picked at random:

Poundland Warburton sliced loaf: £1
    Sainsbury's Warburton sliced loaf: £1.45
    But the Poundland loaf is only 600g whereas the Sainsbury's one is 800g. So that's £1.81 versus £1.66 per kilo: Poundland wins. But the thing is there's a Sainsbury's own brand 800g loaf for £0.90. That's only £1.125 per kilo vastly cheaper than the Poundland product.
    I take your example, but I have found that if you are clever and look at things like this, you can make massive savings.
  • edited February 2014
    cafcfan said:

Never seen a uk supermarket selling 4L of milk

• edited February 2014

cafcfan said:

Never seen a uk supermarket selling 4L of milk

Apologies - I screwed that up - it was of course 4 pints (2.27 litres) so Poundland wins that one! (In my defence, I'm only usually looking for drink that comes in 750ml size!) But Asda has 6 pints for £1.48 (43.4p a litre) or, 4 pints for £1 (44p a litre) - so you get my drift - pound shops aren't necessarily the bargain that they make out. But maybe that makes their shares a good buy?
  • Sponsored links:

• cafcfan makes a fair point, there is a huge market at the moment for brands to do reduced sized products to sell at the 99p/£1 shops, so the consumer thinks they are getting a bargain when they are not.

I go in them a fair bit, they are very good for the odd thing, but you can see how easy it is for people to get carried away and put more in the basket because 'its only a £1'. You generally find though that some form of bigger more established chain will be doing some comparative offer which will work out cheaper though as long as you don't mind changing brands (ie. places like Boots, Superdrug, Wilkinson will constantly have different shower gels, deodorants etc at half price or less, as long as you don't mind changing brands or buy in bulk at time of offer).