Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tom Finney RIP

Comments

• Truly a legend of the game.

RIP
  • One of the players of yesteryear that I would just loved to have seen play. RIP great man.
  • RIP Sir Tom Finney ( aka the Preston plumber ) a player who I was privileged to see play both centre forward & winger for Preston .when I was a kid my uncle Mick who was a fellow addick would always take me to see Tom when Preston were playing in London.
  • He was the last surviving great of a golden generation from that period, Stanley Matthews, Nat Lofthouse and Tom Finney.

Sad news, my thoughts are with his family and friends at this sad time.
  • R.I.P.
    An English football great and a gentleman
  • RIP a true legend
  • Possibly the greatest English player of all time. Sad day for PNE and the people of Preston.
  • Sponsored links:

• Virtually all the people I spoke to over the years who saw them in action rated Finney as a better all round player than Matthews - he could play in the centre or on either wing and be the best player on the pitch. One of the all time greats, RIP.
  • A true Legend of the game

And one of my all time fav photos is, and bear this in mind, there was no photoshop or digital cameras about..
  • absolute Legend of a man

RIP a football great
  • RIP Sir Finney, legend!
  • My grandfather always used to say Tom Finney was one of the finest footballers he had ever seen .

Legend
    RIP.
  • cafc999 said:

A true Legend of the game

And one of my all time fav photos is, and bear this in mind, there was no photoshop or digital cameras about..

Chelsea V Preston late 1950's I think cafc999 ,
  • A Legend. RIP Tom. What a life he had
  • does this rule him out joining us on loan?
  • means that there will be a minutes silence before tomorrows game............or will a few idiots turn it into a minutes applause ???

Lets try & behave tomorrow shall we - let the norvan monkeys show themselves up & not us.
  • All time great, my late father held him in high esteem which is good enough for me RIP Sir Tom.
  • Sponsored links:

• The word legend gets thrown about at a drop of a hat these days. This man was what the word legend was invented for. RIP Tom.
  • cafc999 said:

A true Legend of the game

Chelsea V Preston late 1950's I think cafc999 ,
    At Stamford Bridge

• When i was growing up and learning about football Tom Finney's name was one that was always brought up as the best English attacker ever despite him being retired 30 years.

• RIP a sad loss, great player.
  • Obviously never saw him play, put a gun to my head and I couldn't tell you any specifics of his career...but I know the name....we all know the name.

A name weaved into the very foundations of the sport in this country and therefore the world. Legend surely....and a real one at that.
  • RIP Sir Tom. A great footballer and top gentleman. I wish I had seen him play.

NB. I think the press-photo above won "the picture of the year". You can just see the full back who is virtually obscured by the spray. Just puts into perspective the health & safety concerns of pitches today and "yesterday".
  • edited February 2014
    Remember a game in '56 when Preston went 1-4 up. Johnny Summers completed a hat-trick with 20 minutes to go but it finished 3-4. Finney played a blinder and as we were relegated that season I think it was probably Sir Tom's last visit to The Valley where he always seemed to score against us.
    RIP Sir Tom, one of England's most skilful players and a true gentleman.
  • edited February 2014
    Bill Shankly said of Finney "He'd have been a great in any team, in any match, in any age....even if he'd been wearing an overcoat."

He said he did regret not going to Italy when he was sought after. He was offered £10k up front (£500k in today's money). Preston would not let him get out if his contract though.
  • The word legend gets thrown about at a drop of a hat these days. This man was what the word legend was invented for. RIP Tom.

Spot on. To many people, he was undoubtedly the finest footballer they had ever seen. Off the pitch, he was down to earth and a proper gent - generous, kind and with principles.

He was more than a footballer to the people of Preston - he was a figurehead for the city and the club and they will really feel this loss and be forever grateful for the pride that he gave them.

RIP, a true legend as a footballer and a man.