Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

SA v Australia Test Series

Comments

• Options

I always like to see New Zealand do well.

On a side note I'm not to surprised by Johnson steam rolling through South Africa, when he was in form last time down there, didn't he break Smith's finger and clock De Villiers as well?

I am more surprised that there batting stood up to Steyn, Morkel, Philander.

Steyn had a vomiting bug on the first day of the game so was below his best, they again suffered from a lack of a quality spinner as they could not tie down Smith and Marsh.

Johnson is the difference, its really as simple as that. We could not play him and neither can SA.
  • Options

Don't want to start a thread but Brendan McCallum at stumps on Day 4 is 281 n o. That follows his 224 in the last Test.

McCallum & Watling put on 352 for the 6th wicket and 571-6 from 96-5 one could say is a decent recovery!

I bet the mood in the Indian dressing room at stumps was absolutely ebullient!

Largest sixth-wicket stand in all Test history and largest stand in history of NZ Test cricket.

If McCullum gets 300 he'll be first ever triple-century maker for NZ in Tests.
    With a lead of 325 going into the final day he will be stuck between deciding what's best for the team and what's best for him. Perhaps a six over slog to get him to 300 followed by a declaration?

It's a two test series, and New Zaland are one-nil up. I can't see an overnight declaration, I reckon Mccullum will go for it, and maybe declare after an hour or so. they don't need to win.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Don't want to start a thread but Brendan McCallum at stumps on Day 4 is 281 n o. That follows his 224 in the last Test.

McCallum & Watling put on 352 for the 6th wicket and 571-6 from 96-5 one could say is a decent recovery!

Largest sixth-wicket stand in all Test history and largest stand in history of NZ Test cricket.

With a lead of 325 going into the final day he will be stuck between deciding what's best for the team and what's best for him. Perhaps a six over slog to get him to 300 followed by a declaration?

It's a two test series, and New Zaland are one-nil up. I can't see an overnight declaration, I reckon Mccullum will go for it, and maybe declare after an hour or so. they don't need to win.
    Didn't know the series situation so you are absolutely right.

• Options

If l was McCullum l would try to get to 300 as quickly as possible for the history without being reckless, and then slog like a bastard to see if l can get to 400 in about 80 mins. The series is in the bag now, so no risk and he probably will never have a chance like this again. He'd be nervous about declaring, seeing as India will fancy going at anything less than 4.5 an over on a decent pitch with no spin threat - and they have the players and one-day experience to get close too. Going to watch the first session at least, could be explosive.

On a side issue, NZ have played well to get out of this fix - only pity is that Neil Wagner comes out on the winning side. Genuinely think he's the biggest tosser in international cricket.

• Options
    I agree - I think the Kiwis will bat on. If McCullum has a chance at 400, he should be given the opportunity. They will win the series then, which is more important than winning this match for them. If he fails, then bring them off just before lunch and go for the last day (non) spin-win.
  • Options

dickplumb said:

I think there are a number of good young players coming through, Sam Robson, Moeen Ali, Gary Ballance, Tymal Mills, Jamie Overton, Chopra. Players like Ben Stokes who was thrown in against Australia have shown their worth. I like the look of Moeen Ali, top scorer in the County Championship and he also weighed in with forty wickets. He has just been picked for the T20 squad?

TBH, i like the look of Overton and Ballance, but the others are hardly likely to trouble Test teams in the future. Ali was even released by Warwickshire a couple of years ago!
    How can you say they are hardly likely to trouble Test teams in the future? You don't know how quickly they are going to improve. Moeen Ali has improved in leaps and bounds since two years ago. Tymal Mills has got the pace but is still very raw, he could be the 90 plus mph bowler we are looking for, or he could flop. Overton, Robson etc are still very raw.

Nobody thought Smith the Aussie all rounder would make it as a Test player but he is now knocking up big scores against the likes of England and South Africa.

• Options
    Australia has assembled the nucleus of another very good test side. The Achilles heel is the age of the fast bowlers. Doolan has come in as a number 3 batsman and looks the part. He's 28. England should take note and not just go for 'youngsters' for the sake of it. Hildreth of Somerset (if he survived the floods !) should be given a go this summer before his form and ambition deteriorate beyond repair
  • Options
    McCullum out for 302. NZ 625/7, lead by 379.
  • Options
    I don't know who the groundsman is in Port Elizabeth but we should probably get him over to England for the 2015 Ashes - Aussie bowlers being made to look ordinary for the first time since before the Ashes.

Mind you, we don't really have an AB de Villiers.
  • Options

I don't know who the groundsman is in Port Elizabeth but we should probably get him over to England for the 2015 Ashes - Aussie bowlers being made to look ordinary for the first time since before the Ashes.

Might as well pack up and move on to the next Test I reckon - can't see the Aussies being bowled out twice on this slow number. Saffers need to crack on and get to 450 asap and declare tonight, and Philander needs to perform if they're going to have a sniff.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Might as well pack up and move on to the next Test I reckon - can't see the Aussies being bowled out twice on this slow number. Saffers need to crack on and get to 450 asap and declare tonight, and Philander needs to perform if they're going to have a sniff.
    Saffers finishing the day strongly, Parnell has two in his first over!
  • Options

117-4 at end of play. SA in command - could be 8 down by lunch tomorrow then SA should have enough of a lead to win the Test
  • Options

117-4 at end of play. SA in command - could be 8 down by lunch tomorrow then SA should have enough of a lead to win the Test
    Yep - shows what I know. And they've dropped Warner and Lyon in the closing overs, and also had Lyon caught behind but mistakenly didn't refer it. Could be 6 or 7 down. Must be a different pitch...

• Options
    edited February 2014
    One result that i've noticed in the current U19 World Cup is that Afghanistan beat Australia by 30 odd runs !!
    1st Quarter final tomorrow. Eng v India !
  • Options
    Typical South Africa, the stubborn buggars are hide to keep down, I've personal insight as I've lived here for 19 years and been married to one for 16 years. Sorry darling didn't realise you were looking over my shoulder
  • Options
    Aus lose Warner early, and currently 150-6 needing quite a few to save follow-on (if SA decide to enforce).
    In the U19 World Cup quarters, India made 221-8 against England, England now batting are 1-0 after first over.
  • Options
    Aus batting line up put under pressure, they buckle.
  • Options
    CHG said:

They didnt against us. We had them under the cosh on more than occassion, but Haddin always got them ot of it.
  • Options
    Aus now 197-7 and Haddin is out !
    England 22-0 off 5 overs.
  • Options
    Aus 205-8 at lunch.
    England 41-3 off 11 (after being 31-0)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    England 87-3 off 20.
  • Options

CHG said:

They didnt against us. We had them under the cosh on more than occassion, but Haddin always got them ot of it.
    True, but Eng didn't post over 400.
  • Options
    Great win for England U19 team here in Dubai. They beat India by 3 wickets in the final of their 50 overs. Having beaten the current U19 world champions in the QF, they now progress to the SF.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Aus now 156-5 chasing 440.
    Steyn on Hat-trick
  • Options

Great win for England U19 team here in Dubai. They beat India by 3 wickets in the final of their 50 overs. Having beaten the current U19 world champions in the QF, they now progress to the SF.

Pete, Semi is tomorrow v Pakistan, Other semi is Aus v SA.
    You going? If so, dont forget to take your Charlton shirt.
  • Options
    Aus now 166-6 - after at one stage being 120-0. Almost a collapse of England proportions.
    Rogers still there on 88 not out.
  • Options
    Yep, 151-1 to 167-6. (16-5). So, they did learn something from England.
  • Options
    Dale Steyn, what a bowler!

Great to see the Saffers shove the Aussies arrogance down their throats with all that "best bowling attack in the world" bullshit.

Steyn, Morkel and Vern have been doing it for a lot longer and deserved more respect.

Bottom line, if you nullify Johnson then you nullify Australia! Their batting is still vulnerable against the moving ball so we need nice slow, dry decks for the Ashes at home.
  • Options

Great to see the Saffers shove the Aussies arrogance down their throats with all that "best bowling attack in the world" bullshit.

Steyn, Morkel and Vern have been doing it for a lot longer and deserved more respect.

Bottom line, if you nullify Johnson then you nullify Australia! Their batting is still vulnerable against the moving ball so we need nice slow, dry decks for the Ashes at home.

Yep, agree. Just get the decks nice and slow, and that nullifies the only real threat that Oz have (until Pattinson,Cummins and Starc are match fit, of course). Somehow dont think it will be that simple next year, but certainly will be a start.
  • Options

Yep, agree. Just get the decks nice and slow, and that nullifies the only real threat that Oz have (until Pattinson,Cummins and Starc are match fit, of course). Somehow dont think it will be that simple next year, but certainly will be a start.
    None of those bowlers are capable of anything like what Johnson just produced, the bloke has 50 wickets in his last 7 Tests at an average of 13 - that's unbelievable bowling and unprecedented in modern Test cricket.

Bottom line is that by taking the pace and bounce out of the pitches then you remove Johnson's biggest weapon: Generating fear in the batsman.

He doesn't swing the ball that much or seam it or have any subtlety (Harris does but is struggling) so once you take away his ability to really hurry the batsman off the pitch then he loses his biggest weapon.

You saw signs in this match that Johnson runs out of ideas once he can't bully the batsmen out.

All we need now is to find our own ABdV and Amla.....