Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charltons Academy

Our academy, youth team is clearly well done and structured to get the best out of our young players upon promotion to the 1st team.

Any player has to work there way up from somewhere, but this part of our club is something to be recognised and thought proudly of. Paul Hart is obviously a good manager at the level of youth coaching and I'm guessing brings his good varied experience of football management into it.

I've spoken to people who don't even support Charlton. They have watched our academy team in action and said they were a bit blown away by how good they were. These people know what they are talking about in regards to football.

Cousins, Poyet.

You can say the rest.

Comments

• Don't forget Steve Avory, who has been there ever since I can remember. One of Charlton's unsung heroes.
  • Let's hope that RD supports their development and avoid buying in too many external transfers who deny subs-bench and injury-cover opportunities for the youngsters.
  • I agree wholeheartedly, we obviously have a really good crop of youngsters at the moment - and you don't have to look hard to see this isn't a new phenomenon either. Through recent years we have produced some pretty good players, arguably punching quite heavy for our size, but I get the impression that this bunch are something special.
    Tiresais said:

Let's hope that RD supports their development and avoid buying in too many external transfers who deny subs-bench and injury-cover opportunities for the youngsters.

I think the academy was probably a selling point for RD, he seems to like youth - and as a business man he see's theres clearly a lot of profit to be had from investing in to the academy. I think at the moment we need(ed) reinforcements - which is why he's bought in the players he has.

The other thing about the academy, from RD's point of view, is that they could probably strengthen his other teams too. If he really does see a group of clubs with a "pool" of players - then it makes sense that we will probably see some going out on loans elsewhere during the course of his ownership.

I'm not saying I'm happy at this prospect, as these lads are "Made in Charlton" - but it could well bring about a new era of experience for the academy, with even more exposure to different playing styles - and arguably another selling point for attracting young players to the academy to begin with.

Whatever is going on at the academy is obviously working well, and it's quite a ray of hope at the moment! Long may it continue.
  • we have some of the best young talent still to come in

Gomez
    Edwards
    holmes dennis

Gomez
    Edwards
    holmes dennis

Karlan Ahearne-Grant too.

Gomez
    Edwards
    holmes dennis

agreed, watching these two at youth level and they're a cut above the rest. Ahearne-Grant is very young and doesn't look out of place with the u18's
  • I saw Poyet keeping close to Ravel Morrison earlier today and thought at one point that Diego should have turned round and said...

"Remember me Ravel... Me and Jordan could be fighting you for the England Midfield one day"
  • I reckon at least one out of Fox, Lennon and Muldoon also have a good chance.
    In the last little while it has been a revelation the way our youngsters have been able to step up, it will ebb and flow of course, but I am convinced there are others.
    I also think Piggot is nowhere near as bad as some make out, he also has a decent chance.
    Our youth system is giving players a platform, and lots of them are responding.
  • Paul Hart needs to stay, quiet but fantastic
  • Sponsored links:

• Aaron ‏@AzzaBarnes 20m20 minutes ago
    Good to get away with the squad tomorrow to Italy for a few days...⚽️