Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The week that was - 2nd April 1994 Charlton 4 Southend 3

edited April 2007 in General Charlton
Charlton Athletic 4 (0) (Gorman 46, Leaburn 55, Pardew 59, 89) Southend United 3 (0) (Hunt 65, Ansah 84, 87). Att: 9,686

Charlton:Salmon, Balmer, Minto, Bennett, Chapple, McLeary, Robson, Pardew, Leaburn, Gorman (Nelson 82) Walsh (Garland 46). Unused sub: Vaughan.

Southend: Sansome, Poole, Powell, Payne, Edwards, Bodley, Hunt, Gridelet, Sussex, Otto, Nogan (Ansah 46). Unused subs: Tilson, Royce.

Referee: Ron Groves (Western-Super-Mare)

Opening day: Charlton opened the new 6,000 capacity East Stand for this dramatic game which was shown in highlight form the following day on ITV. It was the first time spectators had been accommodated on the east side of The Valley pitch since Oxford Uniteds visit in May 1985. Shame most of them had left thinking Charlton had won 3-1 until they got home

Comments

• sat in the East for one of the only times that day. 13 years, seems a long time ago now !
  • When you read these excellent postings it really makes you remember how far the club has come in the last 15 years.

If Harold Macmillan were a Charlton supporter he'd be telling everyone that they've never had it so good!
  • Ha! Those were the days, look at Southend, four future Charlton players in their team [Poole, Powell, Otto, Royce].

Also, I know Curbs tried to buy Andy Ansah quite a few times but could never agree a fee.
  • Ansah would of been a decent little signing for us at the time. Always enjoyed playing against Ricky Otto. proper old-fashioned skillful banter, and created great banter from the crowd with his big dreds and colourful background.
  • and created great banter from the crowd with his big dreds and colourful background........ You mean us singing "Otto is a crack-head etc?" He done time too if I remember rightly? Maybe prior to his pro career.

I also sat in the East for this game and stayed there for many seasons until the North Upper opened. Firstly in block C for a few years and then G, looking straight down the players tunnel. My boys were 7 and 5 at the time and much as I'd liked to be in the covered end it wouldn't have been fair on them.
    The only goal I remember was Pards winner, and yes, I was still there!
  • remember going crackers for the winner , i was seated in the east stand nearer the away fans so it was a proper loop.... and remember thinking only charlton could turn the biggest terrace in football in to 6,000 seats but it was a move in the right direction for the club at the time
  • Yeah, that's right AFKA, Ansah would have been very decent and I know he was keen to come but Southend always wanted more than we were willing to pay which, admittedly, was probably not a great deal because all the cash had gone on.....the East Stand!!! In the end we ended up doing that deal for David Whyte with Palace which was good business but Ansah would have been useful and, if I remember rightly, his career peetered out after a couple more seasons. He now works as a football advisor in Hollywood and worked on that Goal! film.
  • I will always have fond memories of that game as it was the first time I took my older two daughters to The Valley and we sat in the brand new East Stand.

It sounds stupid but I found it quite emotional as our seats were roughly equivalent to where I used to stand with my late much loved grandparents as a nipper.

Al, Al, super Al.....
  • Is Andy Ansah still in Dream Team?

Havent watched that for a couple of years.
  • The East Stand. 19 years old!
  • Sponsored links:

• Good winner by Pardew too. Didn't he run from half way, push the ball past a defender and run round him before scoring?
  • I stayed in the Covered End that season, but moved into the East Stand in August 1994 and have occupied the same seat ever since then...

ITV only had the Football League in those days, so would try to hype up FL players, Otto being one of them. A good player at that level though.

Looking at that lineup, I notice no Darren Pitcher or Steve Brown, I think both were regulars that season. No Johnny Robinson either, though I don't think he was a regular around that time.
  • Valley11 said:

Good winner by Pardew too. Didn't he run from half way, push the ball past a defender and run round him before scoring?

Yes...great goal. Chris Powell playing for Southend.
  • I was at this game too
  • Happy 21st Birthday East Stand.
  • This was my first ever game (aged 3)
  • As usual the Programme can be seen here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/15421064647

Want to see more Charlton Programmes, then visit

http://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/sets/
  • My first game on the east side of the ground since my beloved East Terrace days. Twenty years in the same seat (frightening) but the end is nigh.
  • I started walking up Charlton lane at 3-3 only to hear the roar when the winner went in ..... Wouldn't mind I only lived at St Alfege Road!!!!
  • Sat in my newly aquired East Stand season ticket seat.

Remember the box office letting me and @rikofold go round into the stand to choose our seats before paying for them.

Had a very long chat with Colin Powell as well.