Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bromley Supporters' Meeting: What happened?

edited September 2006 in General Charlton
It's late on this side of the Atlantic, so I'll wait until morning to hear what happened in Bromley. Please fill me in... I wish I could have been there... What an opportunity for supporters to hear direct from a man integral to the new management setup, particularly at this time of transition for the Club. The Inspector published a good report, worth reading, especially to ease the concerns of the 'doom and gloom' merchants. From the impression the Inspector gives, Reed seems a thoroughly impressive figure, every bit worthy of his reputation.

I assume he spent the evening accounting for our rough start. Dowie seems to be getting a fair bit of abuse from some sections of the 'support', leaving some, even those indifferent to him, to wonder whether all of the sweet "talk" is not just "hype" and empty jargon. But I thought it funny none of those accusing fingers have been pointed at Reed (and to a lesser extent, Robson), a man who many self-proclaimed 'faithfuls' put their hopes on, at times virtually 'willing' him to return to the Club last season to displace Peacock and Day, if not Curbs too. Reed seems not to have suffered in the same way Dowie has. Am I overstating this? Is the abuse aimed at Dowie because he's ex-Palace and an unknown, but very public quantity (an outsider coming in) that has the potential to leave egg on our collective faces? Is Dowie an easy scapegoat?

Anyway, I feel confident that Dowie's eager talk and new methods balanced by Reeds experience and tactical guile are the way forward and will soon see us out of any immediate dangers. I also think that Murray et al have laid the foundations for long-term growth with their managerial team appointment, and I'm confident it'll all work. Dowie the energetic figurehead, Reed the experience and Robson the student with a link to the academy (who'll perhaps be looking to be Dowie's replacement in 15 years time!).

For those there at the meeting, what impression did you get?

Are we looking onward and upward?

Did AFKA embarrass himself?

Is Reed a Charlton Life member?

I need to know!!!

Comments

• The Inspector sums it up nicely.

Not too much definitive details to feed back. Reed is a very well versed and articulate speaker, and very interesting to listen to. Some of the replies were propbably a little too long-winded and generalised, but that's understandable.

Got the impression his current role is more weighted towards overseeing the organisational aspects of the footballing side, co-ordinating with prozone, the medical team, the fitness team etc. They regular split training so that he works with the defenders, robson the midfielders, dowie the strikers as an example.

It seems the players are not just being worked harder on every form, fitness, conditioning, technical etc. But also there is a lot more integration with the players and specific development working with individuals. Academy and reserve players are being mixed with the first team a lot more. Players are also taking more responsibility with thinking about the game a lot more. Get the impression the club could rival one of the big corporates with the amount of flip charts that seem to be used.

Talked a lot about the physcology aspects, and also the set up internationally. Worked for Northern Ireland when they beat England and went through what tactics they used in great detail.

In two hours, i think only 8 questions were asked which gives an indication in the amount of detail and thoroughness he was speaking.
  • The Inspectors' report is accurate but as you would expect focuses on the football talk and not the more important AGM, the change of chairman, the close voting, the vacant position, what the new chairman was like.

AFKA did nothing to embarrass himself that I noticed. AFKA may have offered Les a free membership but I'm not sure. Biggest embarrasment goes to LargeAddick's Mum for leaving her purse behind. AFKA will be in touch Large.

Les stayed around and chatted to a group of Charlton lifers for about another 30 mins.

For me it just proved that I think I know about footballl and tactics but when you hear Les explain game plans and options I realise that I don't. Less explained how he set up the N Ireland team to beat England. It all made sense but I Watched that game and saw none of it. I just thought England were poor not noticing how players were closed down, others allowed to play etc etc.
  • The Inspector mentions that the club has the faith in it's young players yet against Pompey we played 2 players out of position instead of giving one of those young players a go.

Have I taken that quote out of context?
  • edited September 2006
    He was talking about the (near) future rather than the past - and especially if we had Darren Bent unavailable. They're still getting to grips with the squad, basically, but the kids will be at a point soon where they can do a job if needed.
  • Thanks Inspector, glad that there is some optimism regarding the youth system.

Now, if we can get some bloody points on the board......
  • Couple of interesting bits that haven't been mentioned. Les used to play football with David Beckham's dad and has known David since he was 8. Used to take Brooklyn to the Panto and McDonalds. Interesting views on the media star BEckham.

Also the Senior Players Leadership Team and the enforcer of the in-house fines. For anyone who wasn't there guess who the four players are.

Seems to be a real structure for the youth and long term planning and thinking around bringing in good kids to compliment what we have coming thru to be the team of 3-4 years time. I know we all want points NOW but need to think about the future too.
  • Hermann enforcer? Four players, Holland, Kish, Myhre, Young
  • edited September 2006
    Whoops, I was there so not fair.

People kept giving me money all evening - still not quite sure why, but cheers Henry.
  • Addickted is Lovejoy !!!

Breezes in in a cream linen suit. All he needed is a cigar in one hand and a brandy in another.

I thought his yacht had been moored up at the River Cray !

:-)
  • edited September 2006
    Some git nicked my panama hat.

That's 'New Labour' for you.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2006
    Not Myhre but spot on with the others. it was those 3 plus HERMAN.

Lovejoy LOL but I though Sidney greenstreet

Here's a photo with Addickted on the left and me on the right.

http://www.fragilekitty.com/img/blog/sydneygreenstreet.jpg
  • I prefer the one of the AFKA, myself and Henry.

http://www.heanet.ie/conferences/2003/presentations/Thursday/NorrisWilson_files/images/Image33.png