Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

New Article: RD has played a brilliant hand

13»

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2014
    I couldn't disagree more. Hungry and angry? How?

We are a keeper down and have had one forced upon Powell only so his value goes up.

Defence wise I'm surprised/relieved Morrison wasn't one of those to go. Wiggins' length of contract allows a higher transfer fee when the time comes.

Astrid could potentially replace Stephens but needs time. We don't have that. Meanwhile the wings have been badly neglected, they remain League One quality.

Yann was more than a player for us. We now have a striker who's been scoring in a very poor quality league and another who can't get a game in Belgium and has made a name scoring against teams like Qatar. Both are risks.

Perhaps most worrying is that we don't have players now but commodities. If a player has a good couple of seasons for us then he goes and RD keeps the money. That isn't pure conjecture given that he pocketed 20 million from Standard last year.

You also have to think of dressing room accord and dynamics. You can't simply chuck names together and expect them to work, especially at short notice. You need a team rather than a collection of individuals. Think also of all the foreign flops that arrive on these shores. You cannot expect them all to do well.

Then you have Chris Powell. This isn't his team anymore and I'm sure he won't be here much longer. That's my doom and gloom take on things.
  • Options
    Hammer was our number 1 until injury. Arguably the number 2 slot has been improved. We needed more fire power and it looks like we have done this.

Stephens wanted to move on and maybe the time was right. Others will now have to step up. Roland has done his level best to add quality to the squad to get us out of this mess and I hate to think where we be going forward without him.

I think it is unfair to judge these new players on videos or the leagues they play in. Peter looks a CP target, but even if it was Rolands, they would have all been watched by professionals and I am looking forward to seeing them play.

Looking at the title of the thread, I do think he has played it all very well. He has anticipated the possibility of relegation and has a 5mil contingency to cover this. This has allowed him to gamble a bit with the players he could bring in and he has decided to go with youth, and in my humble opinion that is the correct one looking long term. Relegated with old, high paid players would not be good.

I would not play poker with him and I am glad we have him. At least we seem to have a proper Club with a plan to move forward.
  • Options
    Doom and gloom here as well for all the reasons Red Panda gave. We are an experiment and it may or may not work, we may or may not reach the promised land. I understand that things have to change and players wages and Sky have mega messed things up. I know we"re in transition. But it just won't be my Charlton any more and if Chrissy goes it will feel like a terminal blow.
  • Options
    I support Charlton, not Chris Powell or the owner. We have won how many games this season? Yes Yann and Stephens will be missed but something needed to be done to freshen up the squad. I am disappointed that we were unable to bring in a midfielder or two but hopefully that will be remedied when the loan window opens. I am looking forward to seeing these new players, starting today against Wigan.
  • Options

I agree with Chizz though possibly for different reasons. We think of our team as Charlton, but the new owner thinks of us as the London Branch. His right hand lady is, I read, an expert on contracts and I imagine she has combed through, not only The London Branch players but the rest of the comglomerate. If a player has six months to go and then is able to walk away, it makes sense if he is sold so long as their are replacements in the stable. He had a surplus keeper and moved him over and then we had three keepers, had to get rid of one. He';s brought in some players from other parts of the organisation, trimming overall costs. He is treating us like a business and internal transfers are prevalent in most businesses. I can't imagine he's even thinking of relegation, doesn't make sense, but has a plan. I believe its the Golden Rule plan, he who has the gold, makes the rules. Have faith, all will be revealed soon.....

Good post.

You know I would love to believe that Powell had a list of players and positions and their solutions were mutually agreed. Gradel for example looks more like a Powell target and it could be that many others on the list could simply be met by those within RD 's portfolio of clubs. Peter Parsley looks a decent signing regardless and no doubt the result of scouting for SL which should be to our benefit.

Thing is, the goalkeeper thing flies in the face of all that. Not sure what to believe to be honest, and Im finding myself flitting between optimism and "we're doomed!" way too frequently.
  • Options
    As fans, we now have two choices in front of us. One would be to be all doom and gloom and the other would be to get behind the team and do our best, this especially goes for the new lads.
    Let's make these boys welcome and give them a chance as we have nothing else on offer yet. You never know it may give them confidence to express themselves

Onwards and upwards
  • Options

Huskaris said:

Whether RD has played a great hand or not will be determined by what division we are in next season

RD has a long-term "plan " though, so where we are next season is probably not that important in the overall scheme of things.

If only running football teams was that easy. If only you could have a plan and know things were going to go according to your plan. If we fall into League 1 we could be stuck there for years.

I can't believe there is a plan which starts with a line saying it doesn't matter what division we're in in 2014/15.
  • Options
    Lets see a decent midfielder to hold the thing together then as replacement for Stephens then I will start believing that RD does not mind.
  • Options
    vff said:

Lets see a decent midfielder to hold the thing together then as replacement for Stephens then I will start believing that RD does not mind.

Poyet?!

• Options
    This has been an interesting read. You all see the club week in and out, and I never do, so will defer to your assessments of the players.

I am heartened to see @Chizz put a cogent argument out here to counter the doom and gloom scenario. The fact is none of us *know*, but the mere existence of a compelling, positive spin helps convince me that there may in fact be a plan, and this season could end with smiles in SE7 come May.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

vff said:

Poyet?!

Excellent player but more defensive. Can Cousins play further forward. How far forward did AA play ? We are missing a midfielder replacement for Dale Stephens to give the team a fighting chance.
  • Options
    vff said:

vff said:

Poyet?!

Excellent player but more defensive. Can Cousins play further forward. How far forward did AA play ? We are missing a midfielder replacement for Dale Stephens to give the team a fighting chance.
    No idea if this works but Adjarovic on the left and Cousins / Poyet central with someone on the the right and Jackson on the bench.
    I am actually more concerned about injured full backs and Stewart leaving... and Harriott off the boil. That's enough thinking tactics - leave it to the likes of Tutt-Tutt who can make sense of the options available.