Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Wayne Rooney - Is He Worth £300,000 a week?

13»

Comments

• Options
    No person is worth £15.6 million a year! It is utterly ridiculous, not even shrek!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Man Utd confirm Wayne Rooney has signed a new 4½-year contract. Can't imagine Moyes is too happy if Rooney's wages cause a massive drop in transfer funds. image
  • Options
    He'll be 33 past his best and earning £300k a week. Not a bad life.
  • Options
    I can just about live with the fact he earns more in a day than I do in a year.

What I do struggle with is that there is a good chance that he spent that day watching cartoons, eating ice cream, goes to the swings and then gets a McDonald's.
  • Options
    Ten years work for me, one weeks 'work' for him. It's not right.
  • Options
    Probably Rooney's worst ever season, 11 goals in 31 games and 19 assists. Which is dreadful for a 'world-class' (the amount he's paid indicates he should be) striker.

If he wasn't English, he'd probably be in the same league as Giroud.
  • Options
    £75 million spent on a depreciating asset does not sound like a sensible plan.
  • Options
    no
  • Options
    Yes. Empirically.

No-one forced United to pony up that much.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    `Is Wayne Rooney worth £300k a week?'

Well, according to Man Utds' accountants, yes....he is.

Morally though, its grotesque....I mean really grotesque. Lets be honest.....fuck `market forces'....being paid £5k a week for kicking a football about is obscene.
  • Options
    Disgusting money. Makes you sick when you have paramedics, doctors etc earning less a year than what he gets in a day.
  • Options
    In fact yeah, cap 'em at £5k a week tops....and I mean all of 'em. FIFA could issue a global ruling....yeah I know that would be problematic/impossible but say they could. I honestly can't imagine a single current professional player who would realistically turn down the career due to it having a pay ceiling of £5k a week....imagine if you got £5k a week....and thats for doing something you endure/hate/detest! Lets not muck about here, £5k a week buys you a `fantasy' life....and before anyone says you only play till mid thirties, £5k a week gives you the means to set up for the rest of your life, no worries.

Tbh I don't think it would affect the TV interest that much (a pay cap)....not in the long run anyway. Yes players pay levels add a bit of `voyeur show biz' to proceedings but I still think the sport would be as popular/successful as it currently is. The TV money, which apparently 90% of which goes into players pockets would go to the clubs. Surely some of this money would bleed through to improving the squad and match day experience for us, the fans.....better facilities!

How refreshing would it be to read Wayne Rooney signs a new contract (for the global capped limit) because he WANTS TO SPECIFICALLY play for Man Utd.....never going to happen I know.
  • Options

Man Utd confirm Wayne Rooney has signed a new 4½-year contract. Can't imagine Moyes is too happy if Rooney's wages cause a massive drop in transfer funds. image

Good god they're ugly
  • Options
    That's a lot of money but think of the pensioners it's going to benefit ;-)
    Yes old granny banging Wayne with hair grafted from his armpit, and a face that launched a thousand zits, my goodness the lad has made his way in the world.
    If I could be him just for one week....
  • Options
    edited February 2014

Looks like he'll be spending most of it on a new thatch, or an old snatch, I'm not sure which.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I have to give my two contrasting opinions on the matter to articulate myself correctly.

Ideally, no, absolutely not. Wayne Rooney should never be entitled to that sort of money weekly for doing what he does, and nor should any footballer. It is a ludicrous figure yet serves as a reminder of the crazy-money orientated businesses that run the top clubs in the world, United being one of them. Regardless of the popularity of football, the money situation is really getting out of hand (at the top of the game especially) and although many others on here may disagree, there should be no circumstance where somebody is getting paid such astonishing salaraies despite contributing so little to the planet and its welfare.

However, I am not completely ignorant and I realize that my adversarial view point does not hold well in the reality of the Capitalist society we live in and when taking that into account I would have to say 'Yes, Rooney is worth 300k a week'. If as a football club in this current climate and given what a business top world football has become, has the funds to pay a player 300k then why not? Especially when the player is as valuable to united as Rooney, their most consistent and most valuable player for the last what? 4 or 5 seasons? Rating Rooney as highly as I do I feel giving him this wage will no doubt convince him to stay, it sends a message out to other players and clubs that despite their poor form united are still a club who mean business and certainly don't lack the funds to do business as well.

300k is a hell of a lot and I had not heard of this until I saw the thread, but if indeed it is an accurate figure than I'd say United, and football in regard to cash, operate in unbelievable sums of money and I'd say Wazza is an idiot (probably say that either way, it is the world cup soon) if he turned it down. I would also say (probably a bit later) how clubs paying these amounts to players is down right wrong and one of the biggest threats to world peace.

• Options
    As long as he pays full tax and N.I on it yes , more in the coffers for the government to spunk
  • Options
    Small fry compared to some of the US sportsmen from what I just saw on SSN
  • Options
    Difficult to compare to North American (meaning salary-capped, non-promotion/relegation) sport. With the exception of the NHL, you simply don't hear the doom and gloom warnings of a coming economic Armageddon in these sports the way that you constantly do with football.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    signs a massive contract just as his abilities are on the downslide .. I doubt whether Ferguson would have okayed this new contract .. The current United powers that be are panicking .. but as I have written here before, you don't get what you're worth, you get what you can negotiate ... Rooney is laughing all the way to the bank, and he's doing it on a regular basis
  • Options

As long as he pays full tax and N.I on it yes , more in the coffers for the government to spunk

on ignoring tax avoidance schemes abroad which is where most of Rooney's income will wind up

• Options
    edited February 2014
    might be on 300k a week but he is still ugly and going bald
  • Options
    It's not even that he is worth 300,000 a year, its just the fact that drafting in a replacement (even on lower wages) could cost more.

• Options
    Is he fuck.
  • Options
    This wage is just wrong