Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Belgium football fans - Welgekomen a Charlton, kan je mij helpen?

Welcome to Charlton !

If you speak English, we are keen to learn more about our new owner Roland Duchatelet, and the likely direction our club is to go.

There is a good chance we will see some Belgium league arrive at The Valley in the coming months, any opinions you have are greatly appreciated.

Similarly, if you are interested in making a trip to Charlton for a game, the members on this forum will be happy to help you with questions.

Dank uwel!

Comments

• Options
    Beware belgians, I know a lot of them and they can be an unpredictable bunch.

Remember the Exeter pitch invader a few years ago?

Belgian.

The scout movement in Belgium is very different to the one over here. One of the last times I was there they were out on the lash dressed in paper suits and ended up crashing a car into a house.

Ding dang don't
  • Options
    Great beer, nice chocolates and lovely Mussells and Chips, and Tintin to cap it all off- what isn't to like?
  • Options
    And for the cycling fans as well as the football fans:

• Options

Great beer, nice chocolates and lovely Mussells and Chips, and Tintin to cap it all off- what isn't to like?

Mayo on your chips. What's all that about???

• Options
    The Belgium women scrub up well too.

• Options
    edited January 2014
  • Options
    Dreke, thanks for your post.
  • Options
    Sounds like that ACV might be quite useful after all...
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Thank you Dreke373. Fascinating.

Not heard of any suggestion of a new stadium for Charlton but could be wrong ;0)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    welcome Dreke, thanks for the insight. I am pretty cautious as to whether this is a good thing, though have a sneaking suspicion that he may be a stalking horse for other potential owners, who the previous owners did not want to sell to. We shall see.
  • Options
    Thanks for that Dreke - it looks like we are in for a bumpy ride.....
  • Options

welcome Dreke, thanks for the insight. I am pretty cautious as to whether this is a good thing, though have a sneaking suspicion that he may be a stalking horse for other potential owners, who the previous owners did not want to sell to. We shall see.

I thought it was you Don!
  • Options
    Thanks Dreke
  • Options
    One thing is for sure . It's never dull being a Charlton fan
  • Options
    Stone said:

How do you know it isnt?
  • Options
    Our fan base will approve of the new hospitaliy areas!
  • Options
    Don't Manchester United have some kind of link with Royal Antwerp - seem to recall a few United youngsters playing there in recent years.
  • Options
    Stone said:

I miss the days of the multiple logins, was much more fun, do you Shedders?
  • Options
    Dreke373 said:

Hi Charlton fans

I'm a fan of one of Roland Duchatelet's teams: K Sint-Truidense VV.

STVV is a club that played for years in the Belgian top flight. In search for extra money (let's say 10 years ago) our Commercial Manager wrote a letter to the top-100 richest Belgians. That's how RD got involved in our club in a sponsordeal. As years went by RD became the president of our club. He managed to buy the football ground and the grounds around it. A few years ago he built a new stand with shops, offices, a hotel etc. The year of the construction we were relegated but got promoted after one year in the second division. Our goalkeeper that year was Simon Mignolet. Yep, now at Liverpool FC.

He took over Ujpest in Hungaria. His son Roderick is president over there.

When Standard Liège was for sale, he jumped on that wagon. Since you can not own two teams in one flight, he "gave" STVV to his wife Marieke Hofte. We got relegated due to a lack of investment and now still play in the second division. A new stand is being built at the moment. Google on "Stayen".

He took over another second division team (Tubize) and a few weeks ago Jena as you all know.

To round up. He owns (or is involved in):
    - Standard de Liège
    - Sint-Truiden VV
    - Tubize AFC
    - Carl Zeiss Jena
    - Ujpest FC

That is a brief (and incomplete) round up of his history in football.

What I think you all should know:
    - He bought the grounds around Staaien for peanuts from the city council. He's transforming the ground into something multifunctional. The benefits go straight into his pockets. No bennefit for the club.
    - After huge protest against him in Liège, he announced he would put the club up for sale. Nothing happened since. Of course the results of Standard (first in the league) helps him with that.
    - Between Sint-Truiden, Tubize and Standard players switch very often. It's no exception when there are 4 to 5 five players on loan from Standard at Sint-Truiden. None are of real added value.
    - The president of STVV is a close friend and businesspartner of Duchatelet.

What I want to warn you for:
    - Charlton will be just one link in his football club imperium.
    - Duchatelet is often seen as an idiot in football matters. But no one can deny he is a genious in businesses.
    - At first, we were delighted to see him arrive at our club. 10 years later, he is the worst thing that could have happened to us. We don't own our own ground any more (it's like a bird locked up in a golden cage), we got relegated to second devision thanks to his policy and now he still has his shadow hanging over us. I honestly believe he wants us to stay there because that's better for him.
    - He got me that far that I am doubting to buy a season ticket in the future. I'm disgusted by him and his accomplices who don't fear lieing straight in the fans' faces at supporters meetings.

What I would like to know from you:
    - Are there any plans for a new ground at Charlton? Because that's what is importent for him in Sint-Truiden and Liège. I can not speak for Ujpest, Zena and Tubize.

A fiew last remarks:
    - I have the feeling that the bigger part of the Sint-Truiden fans have the same view as me. Altough I'm not sure. But there are also people who believe he has saved our club.
    - This is only a very brief round up. It is far more complicated than this. So if you have questions, just ask them. I'll try to visit your forum on a regular basis.
    - Maybe he brings you back to the Premier League, maybe he destroys you completely. No one knows. Maybe we will see Charlton players in Sint-Truiden, Zena, Liège and Tubize. Or the other way around. No one knows.
    - With this post, I only want to prevent you guys from (potentially) misplaced euforia.
    - I did my best to express myself in English. That's what we do. :-) Please don't botter on general remarks about Belgians like the ones in a post in this treath. They are short-sighted.

didn't ackworth do that?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hopefully he is not here for us to hate in 10 years time

I dont mean I hope he dies by the way, more that hopefully somebody else will have bought us by that time to push us even further (depending on where RD takes us)
  • Options
    Oakster said:

Don't Manchester United have some kind of link with Royal Antwerp - seem to recall a few United youngsters playing there in recent years.

Yeah they do
  • Options
    Two remarks on the picture from our ground:
    - Now the stand on the right is being rebuilt. Nearly finished by now. It has the same looks as the one at the bottom.
    - The thing you see in the middle of the pitch is not a grass mower. He fancied it would be better for us (and especially for him) to play on plastic grass...
  • Options

Stone said:

I miss the days of the multiple logins, was much more fun, do you Shedders?
    Indeed, some great wind-ups...
  • Options
    Hi Dreke, thanks for your write-up. It looks as though he likes to be actively involved in transfers, what about team selection? Would he leave our manager alone?

Also, what type of players does he like to loan between clubs? Young players, veterans, or does it depend who is loaning to who? I absolutely hate the thought of Solly, Kermorgant or someone being sent packing to Belgium.
  • Options
    Thanks for the post Dreke. Am i right in thinking the problems only arose when he became owner of more than one belgian club?

So we'd only have an issue here if he suddenly decided he wanted another english club. Due to the money involved in english football, i can't see him wanting to take us over, then run us into the ground.
  • Options
    Many thanks Dreke. Would you have any advice as to how fans should approach or interact with Roland? It would be nice to try to head off any problems before they happen, I know we have very little power because we are a rich mans plaything, but is there any chance he might develop a regard, a respect, even a bit of love for Charlton?
  • Options
    Many years ago when I was working in Germany, one of my female colleagues was sent out to 'meet' a Belgian Air Force 'fighter jet' to carry out Immigration duties on behalf of the German authorities.

After completing the job and when she returned to the office our RAF (Cpl) supervisor said to her "was he a Walloon Susan?" to which she replied "I don't know if he was well hung Mick!"

Still cracks me up to this day thinking about it; some 27 years later! :-)
  • Options
    PS: Belgium is a lovely country, Ypres is well worth a (humbling) visit, the people are excellent, as is the beer!
  • Options
    How about a Belgium "Would'ya?" To celebrate the occasion?