Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

***The Takeover thread mk. 3.0 (IT"S NOT DONE - BUT YOU HAVE BEEN!!!)***

Comments

• Options
    I see that Powell went out of his way to thank the previous owners and compliment them. Wonder if the usual suspects on here will say he is "full of shit" and "sarcastic" like they did after Jiminez's blog post....
  • Options

Kap10 said:

I thought he had already apologised, profusely as well as resigning his relevant posts. I think we either accept it or not, but wanting a multitude of apologies because Rufus is a legend seems a pointless exercise.

Best to be left in the past. People who want to bring it up have their own agendas.
    Its nothing to do with agendas mutley.

It's just bad form to have a racist on the board. In the same way I wouldn't want someone from the edl on the board, someone who had hit their wife on the board,

These things aren't socially acceptable in the same way calling someone a n***** isn't either.

If you've been caught doing something publicly you shouldn't have, then being given a role as public as a board member of a football club is not on,

What about 'kick it out' weekend and all the papers start banging on about how charlton were the trendsetters...

"And here's a comment from charlton board member Paul Elliott...." Hmmm
  • Options
    It has everything to do with agendas - Paul Elliot isn't a racist - the notion is ridiculous.
  • Options
    I don't think he's a racist but he used racist language to another person which is totally unacceptable whatever the context. If it wasn't an issue why did he resign from his various posts as a result. It would send out the wrong message to appoint him and some numbskull would only use it to justify them using that word at a game. Bad idea imo.
  • Options

It has everything to do with agendas - Paul Elliot isn't a racist - the notion is ridiculous.

Perhaps not but as someone who had a prominent role in anti-racist campaigns he let himself, and those campaigns, down very badly when he used a racist term.

It doesn't matter that SOME (not all by a long way) black people use it. In his position he shouldn't have used it, he did and he subsequently recognised that by resigning from his various roles in Kick it Out etc.

The worse part of that was not that it was another former Charlton player he insulted (although that is in no way defendable) but that it weakens and undermines the many years of work that others have done to try and educate people on racism and so eliminate it from football. It gives racists the excuse to say that using the word is acceptable and that Kick it Out etc is a waste of time.
  • Options

He shouldn't have used that word in my opinion but I doubt he is a racist any more than Ron Atkinson is.

Ron Atkinson isn't lined up for our Board though.

• Options

Why so ? Because he is black ?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    PL54 said:

Why so ? Because he is black ?
    This is what I mean. I'm not playing that they say it so why can't we game - sorry!
  • Options
    Anyone bought today's SLP? Apparently comments from Murray and Powell regarding the takeover in there...
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    cafctom said:

I see that Powell went out of his way to thank the previous owners and compliment them. Wonder if the usual suspects on here will say he is "full of shit" and "sarcastic" like they did after Jiminez's blog post....

Do you really imagine that people who have left the club in the last 18 months having worked closely with Chris over many years don't have a very good idea what he thought of TJ and MS, and equally what they thought of him? Do you really imagine they broke off all communication with him the day they left?

Chris will have his own reasons for what he says and that's fair enough. If you think that's the full story then you're very much mistaken.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

cafctom said:

Do you really imagine that people who have left the club in the last 18 months having worked closely with Chris over many years don't have a very good idea what he thought of TJ and MS, and equally what they thought of him. Do you really imagine they broke off all communication with him the day they left?

Chris will have his own reasons for what he says and that's fair enough. If you think that's the fully story then you're very much mistaken.
    But in the interview he wasn't asked to comment on the previous owners. He was the one that brought it up. Why would he do that if he thought they were tossers?
  • Options
    you cant take anything that SCP says now or anything TJ and MS say as anything other than spin, no one will spill the real beans

powelly will need to say the right things he may need a new job soon
  • Options
    comes across as a bit two-faced, but hey maybe I'm being naive
  • Options
    edited January 2014

comes across as a bit two-faced, but hey maybe I'm being naive

Naive? Surely not.

He should have said that Jimenez and Slater were a couple of wide boy chancers that sacked a lot of good men and I doubt that RD will be much different.

I wonder how long he would last :-)
  • Options
    just at the end of the video on the OS (top content available for free - well done CAFC), SCP does a cheeky look, as he turns away from the camera. anyone else notice that?
  • Options

cafctom said:

Do you really imagine that people who have left the club in the last 18 months having worked closely with Chris over many years don't have a very good idea what he thought of TJ and MS, and equally what they thought of him? Do you really imagine they broke off all communication with him the day they left?

Chris will have his own reasons for what he says and that's fair enough. If you think that's the full story then you're very much mistaken.
    I'm not saying that those who worked for the club don't have a good understanding about the relationship.

I'm pointing out that it is double standards for some to have a dig at Jiminez as he was apparently 'insincere' in his thanks, but yet they clearly haven't made similar remarks about Chris Powell. If one is being insincere, then surely the other is too?

As Gary points out - CP thanked the owners on his own initiative. It was the very first thing that he wanted to say. You rightfully have your take on it, but I'm more likely to take on board what Chris Powell is saying, and in the manner that he said it, rather than what employees who have been sacked are saying.

As we have seen in countless other clubs in the last couple of years, strained relationships between chairmen and managers only ever ends up in one outcome. We're either an incredible exception to the rule, or the relationship isn't bad as some like to make out.
  • Options
    He's still looking!
    @NetsDaily: Told Josh Harris owner of Devils, 76ers and The Rock will be announcing acquisition of an overseas soccer team tomorrow, NOT a 76er move.
  • Options
    sammy391 said:

He's still looking!
    @NetsDaily: Told Josh Harris owner of Devils, 76ers and The Rock will be announcing acquisition of an overseas soccer team tomorrow, NOT a 76er move.

Reading.
  • Options
    apparently from twitter josh harris (american bloke who put a bid in) has a big announcement that he has bought an overseas soccer team hmm
  • Options
    edited January 2014

just at the end of the video on the OS (top content available for free - well done CAFC), SCP does a cheeky look, as he turns away from the camera. anyone else notice that?

Yes, when I saw it on CAFC Player. Really wasn't sure what to make of it. Thought he looked a slightly uncomfortable. Took the gloss of what was otherwise an excellent interview in which I thought he was buzzing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

sammy391 said:

He's still looking!

Reading.
    yeah reading have said they've got a new american owner taking over. Good for them, will be interesting to see how they turn out.
  • Options

cafctom said:

Do you mean that Powell didn't run his potential interview answers past you first ?

By the way have you ever been a primary school teacher ?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    sammy391 said:

He's still looking!

sammy391 said:

He's still looking!

Reading.
    Be disappointing if this happens. Think he'd be a good owner. Why would he prefer Reading to Charlton?
  • Options

sammy391 said:

He's still looking!

sammy391 said:

He's still looking!

Reading.
    Be disappointing if this happens. Think he'd be a good owner. Why would he prefer Reading to Charlton?
    Because Reading haven't got an owner mucking him about like TJ did?
  • Options
    Time will tell how much Mr Harris aborting his takeover will cost this club, or not, as the case may be.

But I can't help wishing that things had been different.
  • Options

sammy391 said:

He's still looking!

sammy391 said:

He's still looking!

Reading.
    Because Reading haven't got an owner mucking him about like TJ did?
    Maybe, but in January 2012 John Madejski announced he was selling a 51% stake in Reading to a Russian consortium (Thames Sports Investments) headed by Anton Zingarevich for £40m - as a Championship Club.

That's a lot more the TJ was asking for. What's more, I know that Madejski tried to renegotiate that deal when it became clear that Reading might get promoted - as, of course, they were, only to get relegated last season.

Anybody buying Reading will get the benefit of the parachute payments, obviously, but that will all be factored into the price.

I'd like to think Charlton would be a better buy, though I also think Duchatelet may have overpaid. Could that be what turned Harris off?

• Options
    cafctom said:

cafctom said:

I'm not saying that those who worked for the club don't have a good understanding about the relationship.

I'm pointing out that it is double standards for some to have a dig at Jiminez as he was apparently 'insincere' in his thanks, but yet they clearly haven't made similar remarks about Chris Powell. If one is being insincere, then surely the other is too?

As Gary points out - CP thanked the owners on his own initiative. It was the very first thing that he wanted to say. You rightfully have your take on it, but I'm more likely to take on board what Chris Powell is saying, and in the manner that he said it, rather than what employees who have been sacked are saying.

As we have seen in countless other clubs in the last couple of years, strained relationships between chairmen and managers only ever ends up in one outcome. We're either an incredible exception to the rule, or the relationship isn't bad as some like to make out.
    Very few employees have been sacked, most have walked out with no job to go to because of the way they have been treated. We can have this debate endlessly, but if you look at the objective evidence of what has happened to the squad since 2012, the pitch, the staff and former executive directors, the lack of communication with supporters, plus what the judge in the Wise case said about Jimenez and the solicitors' professional body said about Slater, it's an heroic assumption to believe that they have had a good relationship with the manager.
  • Options

cafctom said:

cafctom said:

Very few employees have been sacked, most have walked out with no job to go to because of the way they have been treated. We can have this debate endlessly, but if you look at the objective evidence of what has happened to the squad since 2012, the pitch, the staff and former executive directors, the lack of communication with supporters, plus what the judge in the Wise case said about Jimenez and the solicitors' professional body said about Slater, it's an heroic assumption to believe that they have had a good relationship with the manager.
    So basically look at any evidence against him and ignore anything in favor of him (ie - Chris Powell openly saying that he has been first class and thanking him publicly).
  • Options
    Lots of factors as to why Reading might be more attractive.

They have modern stadium with a slightly smaller capacity but have applied for planning permission to expand. It has a hotel/conference centre and is already multi-use as some rugger team play there. There is parking etc so much more like the US model of arenas

They have been in the prem (or EPL/BPL) more recently, still have parachute money, decent crowds.

They aren't in London but they do have a sizable town and area to themselves.

We don't know the price at Reading but it seems a decent purchase.

We don't know which of Harris or RD will be the "better" owner of a football club. Harris has had some success with other sports but RD is a football fan.

Harris is richer but that doesn't mean he will or would have spent more.

Jury is still out on both as owners and only time will tell.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

cafctom said:

cafctom said:

So basically look at any evidence against him and ignore anything in favor of him (ie - Chris Powell openly saying that he has been first class and thanking him publicly).
    It's more the quantity of evidence against - and that's only what you know about. In what possible respect can they have been first class, given what we know about, for example, the squad and the pitch?