Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dom Dwyer (on trial with Charlton 2013)

Comments

• edited September 2015
    Good on him. I wish we had a similar system here with sports scholarships. All those young men with degrees can only benefit their country.
  • I done it. Would urge anyone who has a kid leaving school and is good at a sport to look into it. The best years of my life.
  • Out of the MLS Playoffs last night - go get him! He would be a very good signing at our level...
  • Dont know if he has or not... But I'm surprised Powell has never gone after him again now he's @ Huddersfield.

Might be difficult now though seeing that Dwyer is married to the American (Female) Soccer Player
  • and that he would expect at least the minimum wage on his contract...
  • edited July 2016
    Nice resurrection of an old thread... Just seen this on the SkySports Gossip Column

English MLS star Dom Dwyer, who plays for Sporting Kansas City, was forced to wear a face full of make-up by his wife after losing a Euro 2016 bet.

Doesnt look pretty either... Would ya?

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/blog/the-toe-poke/65/post/2904312/mls-striker-dom-dwyer-gets-makeover-after-losing-england-bet-at-euro-2016
  • His wife is a very good footballer and world cup winner in her own right.

I follow them both on social media and they're really cute and really funny. She's 7 months preggers now, still had an impressive six pack until around month 5 FFS.

Expect their child will be a quick, physical forward who is not very good in front of goal (he says the week after he removes Dwyer from his fantasy side for being a bit rubbish in front of goal).
  • edited July 2016

Ha ha I still love this memory of him.

Booking was harsh IMO.
  • edited July 2016
  • I didn't realize he had a trial with Charlton. Probably not quite Champ level. Has had some good seasons in MLS but the pace of the game there is slow and the defending is not always great.
  • Sponsored links:

• Dom Dwyer still doing the business On SS5 now. Just scored
  • His wife Sydney Leroux, a US Women's international, just gave birth to their first son Cassius.
  • SDAddick said:

His wife Sydney Leroux, a US Women's international, just gave birth to their first son Cassius.

Cassius Dwywer, pretty cool name!
  • CAFCsayer said:

SDAddick said:

His wife Sydney Leroux, a US Women's international, just gave birth to their first son Cassius.

Cassius Dwywer, pretty cool name!
    Yeah great name. Cassius Clay was Mohammed Ali's birth name. Going on their social media presence and what people say about them, they seem like a pretty cool couple of humans.
  • Got US citizenship earlier this year. Made his US debut tonight against Ghana and scored within 20 minutes.

Fair play to him but kissing the badge is.... Interesting. He's only playing for them because ultimately he's not good enough for us. Still English.
  • Nice finish that. Shame we never got him
  • Good Luck to him! could easily had a couple more goals as well.

i
  • Sponsored links:

• http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40728201

Wonder if he ever wishes that trial with us had worked out...
  • se9addick said:

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40728201

Wonder if he ever wishes that trial with us had worked out...

• Dom Dwyer was exactly the player Charlton needed at the time. Big hearted player & good character but Duchatelet unfortunately shot that one down.
  • vff said:

Dom Dwyer was exactly the player Charlton needed at the time. Big hearted player & good character but Duchatelet unfortunately shot that one down.

Wasnt it pre RD? Powells last pre season. He did look good but the spivs had run out of cash and couldn't afford to offer him a contract. We ended up with Sodall and spongfoot joining late on.
  • vff said:

Dom Dwyer was exactly the player Charlton needed at the time. Big hearted player & good character but Duchatelet unfortunately shot that one down.

Wasnt it pre RD? Powells last pre season. He did look good but the spivs had run out of cash and couldn't afford to offer him a contract. We ended up with Sodall and spongfoot joining late on.
    This was during RD's first transfer window. We got rid of Yann, missed out on Dwyer but got Reza and Polish Pete instead.
  • Some of those posts on the first page...
  • vff said:

Pretty sure, it was with Duchatelet. Jimenez messed up but on football players they let Powell get on with it & generally, the best players were bought with the money available. Dwyer was a strong player & was on his way until not agreed as Duchatelet didn't want the manager picking the players. The player picks were from his scouts & from the network.
  • vff said:

This was during RD's first transfer window. We got rid of Yann, missed out on Dwyer but got Reza and Polish Pete instead.
    I honestly thought it was pre-Belgium. Another stick to hit him with as Dwyer has gone on to be a really good player.
  • Funny seeing this thread pop up as I was thinking earlier about the trialist that we had from MLS. Was he just training with us for the shits and giggles or did he really want a contract?
  • edited July 2017
    se9addick said:

vff said:

I honestly thought it was pre-Belgium. Another stick to hit him with as Dwyer has gone on to be a really good player.
    To be honest, I don't know that three years ago he was a Championship level player. Maybe a squad player. Yes, I do realize our forwards were rubbish, but I don't know that he was, at the time, a huge upgrade. It's really been in the last couple years that he's put it all together.

Also, I don't know what his contract situation was but MLS tends to be pretty tough negotiators so I imagine there would have been a fee involved.

He seems like a wonderful guy. His wife is awesome. I love that they named their son Cassius, and the pictures of them on social media are adorable. If we could get him now I think he'd be a great signing (though probably behind Josh in the pecking order). But for all the mistakes RD has made, I don't think this is a glaring one. I think this is more hindsight is 20/20.