Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pro P&Ds and DIYers- Best brands of paints

edited December 2013 in Not Sports Related
I haven't need to do much painting and decorating for a good couple of years. However, that's about to change.

I remember my ex-girlfriend's brother (who was a painter and decorator) saying that the quality of emulsion varies greatly across the different brands.

I'm just wondering what is the best brands/ranges of emulsion and gloss to use to get the best finish?

Comments

• you ALWAYS get what you pay for when it comes to decorating materials .. painting is a once in a long time 'thing' .. so go for the best .. I've found that Dulux is probably the best v f m
  • Hi Matt,

I can't profess to be an expert but I am literally right in the middle of decorating every wall & ceiling in the flat at the moment. Just taking a break from the kitchen ceiling to have a gander at CL.

I have asked my builder and the plasterers when they were here the very same question and they all swore by Dulux or Crown. So that's what I've gone with.

I'm sure there are other brands as well that do excellent jobs and possibly cheaper but I've been really happy with how everything is looking at the mo and it's coming up nice.

There will also be others with proper decorating knowledge on here I'm sure, who can give better advice than me though.
  • I believe you need Dulux "trade" rather than stuff you get in big chains. Different animal according to builder mates.
  • Mrs cafcfan tells me she uses Crown.
  • Seem to remember a couple years back Which recommended Wickes Trade matt white as best for ceilings.
    Another tip my builder gave me is that if you do not have time to wait for a new ceiling to dry out 100% use a stuff called Leyland Latex, as it is breathable. I think Leyland may be a Johnstones trade under, but is available from their places anyway.
  • Dulux or Johnstons for me, slightly prefer dulux but the shop on Sevenoaks Way can be a little off with some of the mixing.
    Fattmatt if you like the trendy Farrow & Ball type stuff but dont like the cost, get a colour card or match pot, take it to a trade shop and they will scan it and mix it.
  • Surely Farrow & Ball? It's what is specified on many prime resi developments.
  • Surely Farrow & Ball? It's what is specified on many prime resi developments.

I dont think it covers as well as the 2 I prefer and its a lot dearer as well. I always get the colours scanned and mixed.
    True that F&B is speced on jobs by architects but when I'm paying I go with the cheaper route.
  • Dulux one coat. Brilliant stuff
  • Dulux trade matt covers very well and is good to use - the "trade" bit seems to make a difference
  • Sponsored links:

• Just don't buy the tartan coloured paint. Useless.