Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The return of great British TV Drama

Has there been a bit of a revival in the last year or so?

Seems to be some really good drama with good, expensive productions

Peaky Blinders

Ripper St

Sherlock (back on NYD)

Luther (not seen it but told it was very good)

And a bit lighter but still good

Downton Abbey

Call the Midwife

Anymore?

Comments

• Broadchurch
  • edited December 2013
    (4th Series of) Whitechapel. And earlier in the year Lightfields.

Although I am a bit bemused by the sudden surge in "two words made into one" titles: Lightfields, Whitechapel, Broadchurch (Are there others?)
  • The Tunnel
  • Oh and The Fall (although the ending was a cop-out.) Second series goes into production in January (surprise, surprise!)
  • Stig said:

The Tunnel

Was just about to write the very same Stig. Excellent gritty drama.
  • The Tunnel is just a remake of the Danish/Swedish hit The Bridge. Absolutely excellent.

Luther and the Fall were the best tv this year and any other come to think of it.
  • Bring back Big Top
  • Only got into Luther once it had been and gone , would recommend, Idris Elba was excellent.
  • Luther is very good I'm waiting for series 2 to come out on box sets on sky. Just finished watching Mad Dogs which again is very good but more of a comedy / drama.
  • edited December 2013
    Never really got into Luther, watched the first series and never went back for more.

All of the BBC retrospectives (The Pythons one, The Carry On one, the Doctor Who one) have been top notch in every respect for me.

Series wise I really liked Utopia on Channel 4 this year, The Fall has had a mention already and I think underlines the point that British TV is starting to match the Americans in terms of casting and production values.

Add to that some of the foreign language stuff coming out is top rate and/or very cinematic e.g. The Returned, Spiral and I think it's been a pretty good year.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2013
    My pal was in an episode of Crackanory last week. Its the only one I've watched of the series.
  • Curb_It said:

My pal was in an episode of Crackanory

My 'pal' (one of my best friends growing up, barely seen since about 18) seems to have been in everything this year (Utopia, Dates, The Mimic, Great Train Robbery etc).

Saw the first episode of Great Train Robbery last night, really enjoyed it. Love my TV, shamefully never seen virtually any listed above. Boardwalk Empire is pretty much my Sky Planner go to, and not much else. Highlights of the year (incl non-drama) would have been

Boardwalk
    Mr Selfridge
    Trollied
    Breathless
    Gogglebox
    Peppa Pig (Mr Potato's Christmas Show)

• Peaky Blinders was probably the best British drama I saw, followed by The Fall and Luther.
    Best drama for me was undoubtedly The Returned (French).
    Top of the Lake (NZ) and Borgen (Danish) also excellent.
    Looking forward to the return of Sherlock.
  • Enjoying Borgen, Sherlock, Endeavour, Ripper Street, The Bridge and Whitechapel.
  • Peaky Blinders and Luther are my British dramas of the year but the best TV show is Gogglebox by a mile. Not often a show makes you laugh and cry so many times. Pure genius.

Favourite foreign show was Borgen.
  • Enjoyed The Great Train Robbery except for the gimmicky slo-m0 sh0t5, especially the posed one which had Jim Broadbent & c0 looking like the Reservoir Dogs outfit walking towards the camera. Good stuff though and pretty factual.
  • Curb_It said:

My 'pal' (one of my best friends growing up, barely seen since about 18) seems to have been in everything this year (Utopia, Dates, The Mimic, Great Train Robbery etc).

Saw the first episode of Great Train Robbery last night, really enjoyed it. Love my TV, shamefully never seen virtually any listed above. Boardwalk Empire is pretty much my Sky Planner go to, and not much else. Highlights of the year (incl non-drama) would have been

Boardwalk
    Mr Selfridge
    Trollied
    Breathless
    Gogglebox

Your pal was a bloody scary psycho in Utopia! He's had a great year.
  • Really enjoyed The Great Train Robbery & Lucan...British TV really is the best, compared to the absolute dross on over here (with a few notable exceptions).
  • edited December 2013

Peaky Blinders and Luther are my British dramas of the year but the best TV show is Gogglebox by a mile. Not often a show makes you laugh and cry so many times. Pure genius.

I was in The Beehive (Spoons) Brixton on Friday & met the big West Indian lady from Gogglebox. Quite a character.
  • Curb_It said:

Boardwalk
    Mr Selfridge
    Trollied
    Breathless
    Gogglebox

Your pal was a bloody scary psycho in Utopia! He's had a great year.
    Agreed, BA ! Instantly recognised in the GTR .

Can you remind us of his name, please, AFKA .

• Sponsored links:

• Loved The Tunnel - the two.leads made it.
  • Neil Maskell, ex Bexley Grammar and NWK Miskin Rd college
  • Neil Maskell, ex Bexley Grammar and NWK Miskin Rd college

Ah yes, thanks, AFKA

• Peaky Blinders and Luther are my British dramas of the year but the best TV show is Gogglebox by a mile. Not often a show makes you laugh and cry so many times. Pure genius.

I was in The Beehive (Spoons) Brixton on Friday & met the big West Indian lady from Gogglebox. Quite a character.
    New series of Gogglebox just started on C4 9pm.
  • Line of Duty (BBC2 Wednesday Nights) superbly written, directed and acted. If you have missed it so far watch it on BBC iPayer.
  • Line of Duty (BBC2 Wednesday Nights) superbly written, directed and acted. If you have missed it so far watch it on BBC iPayer.

yep fantastic, only bad thing is having to wait 7 days between each episode!
  • Not British so I know it doesn't count but I've started watching Walking Dead from the beginning again, until Season 4 is out on DVD in the UK.

Loving Luthor too.
  • Jonathan creek - piss poor the one I just watched.
  • Never caught that. I always miss series because of my shifts. I just wait until they're out on DVD.
  • Howards Way