Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Understanding the world through maps

2»

Comments

• Options
    cabbles said:

cabbles said:

Some of you may have seen this one before, but I liked it

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/histomap-big.html

Impressive... So only the Indians and Chinese really exist from the very beginning

All others ended and became something else
    My history isn’t great. I think the first ‘civilisation’ were the Sumerians in and around Iraq I think.

I’d love a comprehensive book on maps. All sorts of maps, old maps, political, historical, scientific etc. I’ve looked on line but I just end up with books on a history of maps when I put my search term in. Does anyone know if anything like collating all the above examples exist in one book?
    I have an Atlas of World History, it is getting on a bit but still love it. It was published under The Times banner. It has a bit of everything including a world chronology, background to world history, human origins and then moves through maps covering different periods and different geographies.

The one I have was published in 1993 but their must be newer ones.

• Options

I'm reading a book at the moment that reflects/explains a lot of what that first selection of maps shows - Prisoners of Geography. It explains how and why countries and continents developed in the way they did based on their geography and how that affected their ability to develop as well as if it caused wars etc etc. It sounds heavy, but its written in laymans terms so it stays relatable and explains the position of states in the modern world. If you're interested in that kind of thing it might be for you.

That sounds right up my street. There was a TV series a while back called How Earth made us which is worth a watch.
  • Options
    I might hit one of the big bookshops up in town at some point to see what the best ones are

That island link I posted is interesting. Hy Brasil is my favourite mythical island I think, purely because it’s got a bit of a myth to it. The others were ones that got put on maps for political reasons or factual errors

There’s a couple of great stories behind the Piri Reus maps and another one that i can’t recall that both have an outline of Antarctica before it was actually discovered. Pretty mind blowing imo
  • Options
    I have a book of map mistakes that continued for years (sometimes 100s of years). Basically once a map was made others copied it until it became 'truth'. I think it also covers things like the search for Prester John who supposedly ruled a large kingdom of Christians somewhere in Asia.
  • Options

I have a book of map mistakes that continued for years (sometimes 100s of years). Basically once a map was made others copied it until it became 'truth'. I think it also covers things like the search for Prester John who supposedly ruled a large kingdom of Christians somewhere in Asia.

is that The Phantom Atlas? I've been thinking about getting that one
  • Options
    Not so much the world... More so London...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pMX7EkAhoA
  • Options
    cabbles said:

I might hit one of the big bookshops up in town at some point to see what the best ones are

That island link I posted is interesting. Hy Brasil is my favourite mythical island I think, purely because it’s got a bit of a myth to it. The others were ones that got put on maps for political reasons or factual errors

There’s a couple of great stories behind the Piri Reus maps and another one that i can’t recall that both have an outline of Antarctica before it was actually discovered. Pretty mind blowing imo

I don't know if it applies to any of these, but I understand that it is common practice for map makers to add fake landmarks and other 'errors' to their maps as a way of checking against copyright infringements. Apparently A-Z maps have fake streets in them (usually little closes that no-one spots).
  • Options
    rina said:

is that The Phantom Atlas? I've been thinking about getting that one
    Yeah that's the one. Nowhere Lands is worth a look as well.
  • Options

Not so much the world... More so London...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pMX7EkAhoA

Trains and maps ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Shows where the money (was) is. All that development out west before anything happened in the east.
  • Options
    Was surprised the Metropolitan and District Lines went so far out

With regards to the former I always presumed the sections to Amersham and Watford etc. were more recent extensions rather than early one